Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

weird idling problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13 | 12:53 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

I cant get the screws off, my car is a 93 with 147k miles
Old 08-26-13 | 04:38 PM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikef
I cant get the screws off, my car is a 93 with 147k miles
I don't want to sound like an expert ...this is cowboy's territory but the chances you have a bad
ecu board with 20 yrs life is almost a given.

To get the screws loose...yes they are tight.. lay the unit on a flat surface and make sure your
cross screw driver is not too small. insert the screw driver into the screw head and tap lightly
on handle to help break loose. Press down hard on handle and hold ecu tight and twist..
the scrrew will pop loose...i had the same problem.

I bet you will see evidence of bad caps..report back for the sake of helping others who seem
to be experiencing our same problems.

also, don't close your floor board up after you install the different ecu. even tho it may work ok
if it is a refurbished unit it may not be up to specs re caps with better performance values.

if u can spare a few days, order the new better caps and find a good tech man to install in your original unit
and you will have a ecu that will last for a long time if you plan to keep the car. info for caps to order is available if you
wish to follow this path..$10 dollar outlay including shipping.

Last edited by SC93; 08-26-13 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-26-13 | 06:09 PM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC93
I don't want to sound like an expert ...this is cowboy's territory but the chances you have a bad
ecu board with 20 yrs life is almost a given.

To get the screws loose...yes they are tight.. lay the unit on a flat surface and make sure your
cross screw driver is not too small. insert the screw driver into the screw head and tap lightly
on handle to help break loose. Press down hard on handle and hold ecu tight and twist..
the scrrew will pop loose...i had the same problem.

I bet you will see evidence of bad caps..report back for the sake of helping others who seem
to be experiencing our same problems.

also, don't close your floor board up after you install the different ecu. even tho it may work ok
if it is a refurbished unit it may not be up to specs re caps with better performance values.

if u can spare a few days, order the new better caps and find a good tech man to install in your original unit
and you will have a ecu that will last for a long time if you plan to keep the car. info for caps to order is available if you
wish to follow this path..$10 dollar outlay including shipping.
Do you think this will work for my situation as well? Mine's a 92 that had just about everything stock, and as I stated before the car starts and runs fine. It doesn't start to screw up until after I shut it off and try to start it back up again. Like if I drove to a gas station and shut it off. When I start it back up again I have to bring the revs up to 1k and hold it there for a minute or two to keep it running.
Old 08-26-13 | 06:25 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

I was thinking about doing my own caps but in a few years im going GTE with a r154, I just need one that works for now but i might just do the caps anyways for fun.
do you know what caps i need? ill just order them anyways
Old 08-27-13 | 02:28 AM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by MajorSloMo
Do you think this will work for my situation as well? Mine's a 92 that had just about everything stock, and as I stated before the car starts and runs fine. It doesn't start to screw up until after I shut it off and try to start it back up again. Like if I drove to a gas station and shut it off. When I start it back up again I have to bring the revs up to 1k and hold it there for a minute or two to keep it running.
chances are good that your ecu is going out. any error codes showing up or is cel light on??
Old 08-27-13 | 02:57 AM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikef
I was thinking about doing my own caps but in a few years im going GTE with a r154, I just need one that works for now but i might just do the caps anyways for fun.
do you know what caps i need? ill just order them anyways

visit this site... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html

i bought 3 10uf, 3 15uf, 3 47um, 3 100uf, and 2 220um all according to cowboy's recommended specs from above site and from digi-key. this was for '93sc400.

unless you are very good with a soldering iron, this is no easy job for a novice. one cap (47uf) is
hidden under the lip of the casing and was quite troublesome for the tech service man to get to.
actually, so difficult you may want to forget it and chance it is ok if you proceed with the job.
Old 08-27-13 | 06:41 AM
MajorSloMo
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC93
chances are good that your ecu is going out. any error codes showing up or is cel light on??
No CEL or anything like that.
Old 08-27-13 | 08:53 AM
SC93
Rookie

Originally Posted by MajorSloMo
No CEL or anything like that.

no guarantee but with 21 yrs on car, high probability that ecu has degraded.

i was able to remove my unit without dropping the glove box. i reached up under the glove
compartment and pulled the carpet forward until i could see the black plastic cover that was
over the silver ecu module. removed two nuts at base of cover and a bolt located in upper
left top corner. lifted cover out, removed one hold down nut, unplugged three connector
modules and ecu was ready for inspection. removed 4 screws on ecu cover plate and 6 on
top circuit board to expose the caps. i had two with obvious leakage and suspected the others
to be on their way out.

you may want to pull your unit. if so, read cowboys write up in my earlier post to mikef for a good
explanation of the whole ecu deal