Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Running Rich: Bad ECU Capacitor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 03:42 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you actually read that long post from nasioc you would have realized you don't have boost creep

Your bov may still be bad. Blowing open under boost will do this. Mine did. I gave it the axe.

The vac switching valve for the bov is retarded. Get rid of it. It's useless, and doesn't throw a code.

Does your car make stock boost bypassing the controller? Or does it make it, but hesitates like with the boost controller? This is important info, you were very unclear in your posts.
Old 09-06-13, 07:41 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I agree it could def be the blow off valve the boost must be going somewhere and if its not coming out of your piping then it very well could just be circling around back to your intake piping
Old 09-06-13, 09:06 AM
jintei
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

By bypassing the boost controller, it spools stock psi and spools slowly just like with the bov.

Can you guys show me in the picture on how to get rid of the vsv?

And how do i get rid off the stock bov? By blocking it with what and what about the lines that come into it and out of it?

Does this mean i have to get an aftermarket bov?

Which line to disconnect? Thanks.
Old 09-06-13, 09:07 AM
jintei
Lead Lap

Sorry for the noob questions guys. Just got the car back 4 months ago from the swap. I really appreciate the help.
Old 09-06-13, 09:36 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

The bov has a vac port. Follow the vac line til you find solenoid. Pull vac lines off, make them go together. Done.

As for getting rid of the stock bov or blocking it, you'll have to make something or figure it out. There will need to be a plug in the turbo outlet where it recirculated to and a piece of plate metal with holes drilled for the bov flange spacing. Use stock bov gasket and bolt plate in place of bov. I've also heard of people cutting a coke can to make a sheet of aluminum shaped like the gasket and bolting that in place of the stock gasket, thus blocking off, with no need to plug the recirc part. I'd try that it's quickest/easiest

Be advised. Running without a bov will kill your stock turbo probably quickly.

I actually have a block off plate made out of aluminum if you want it. I might even be able to mod it into working with a gtr stock bov I might have laying around for recirculating action. If you're interested let me know.
Old 09-06-13, 10:18 AM
jintei
Lead Lap

Ok, i did this this morning. Went out for a drive 20 min and i noticed its harder to boost and still lagging power. On mild to wot, it will only make 8psi max and 10 flat afr and when i let off the gas,it bogs mildly.

Anything else i should do? Thanks.
Old 09-06-13, 10:20 AM
jintei
Lead Lap

Yes,i would be very interested in any solution you can provide for me. My goal is to find out if the bov is exactly the problem before i start throwing out money for unnecessary fix. Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-06-13, 11:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah that bypass should work for getting the vsv out of the equation.

If you can find rubber caps large enough you could put them over both sides of the bov pipe and clamp them down just to see if it is the problem. wouldn't run like this long term though you will get compressor surge but for a few pulls it shouldn't grenade itself apart or anything (hopefully).
also as a test you could stick a working bov on the output of that one so if its leaking the second one will basically take over the job. will be a little rigged but just for testing purposes, if you do that you could even hollow out the stock one I would guess but I am just thinking of ways to test.

Ideally you could also look into a more permanent solution like removing it and using an adapter, Vrank seems to have experience with it I have never worked with or bypassed a stock JZ bov, but I have read there are a couple different types of flanges depending on which motor you have...
Old 09-06-13, 11:26 AM
jintei
Lead Lap

This?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post8734310
Old 09-06-13, 01:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

that would do it, there are infinite ways to stick a blow off valve in there. haredst part will be making the block off plate, or as I was thinking you could just hollow out the inside of the factory bov, and then you have an adapter plate that goes to a hose fitting right there. then you just need a bov that will fit like the one frankdms showed.
Old 09-06-13, 01:31 PM
jintei
Lead Lap

Yes. I just wish there's a simpler way to check if the bov is indeed the problem before doing that mod.

So let me make this clear, I bypassed the vsv this morning like I said and it ran the same + harder to get into boost (I had to apply way more throttle than before).

Does that mean that my BOV is indeed the problem?

Last edited by jintei; 09-06-13 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-06-13, 02:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I don't think you are going to get a 100% that is your problem answer from anyone, but it seems very likely.
people wouldn't be changing it for other cars bov's if they were great blow off valves and worked all the time.
I would start there and chalk it up to something needed for reliability. you can get a good deal on a basic blow off valve if you look around or use one from another stock car like shown in the other thread.
Old 09-10-13, 11:37 AM
jintei
Lead Lap

You guys guessed it right, it is the BOV. I am guessing that the diaphragm is damaged. I tried my friend's stock bov and it was boosting again. As soon as I switched back to my bov, it ran like crap. Thanks to Ali sc3 and Vrank for the help. I am installing a TIAL Q bov in a couple days.
Old 09-10-13, 12:37 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

It won't run if you do. The bov HAS to be recirculated. Look up diverter valves. Forge makes nice ones, 7m guys retrofit Bosch ones in mk3 supras. Or call tial and see what they have for recirculated ones. Did some blue ones on a 997 a few months ago with tial cartridge stock replacement turbos. I love tial. Can't go wrong.

DO NOT VENT TO ATMOSPHERE!
Old 09-11-13, 12:16 PM
jintei
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vrank
It won't run if you do. The bov HAS to be recirculated. Look up diverter valves. Forge makes nice ones, 7m guys retrofit Bosch ones in mk3 supras. Or call tial and see what they have for recirculated ones. Did some blue ones on a 997 a few months ago with tial cartridge stock replacement turbos. I love tial. Can't go wrong.

DO NOT VENT TO ATMOSPHERE!
Can you please clarify why not to vent to atmosphere? The TIAL Q I have is atmospheric. Are you saying that the car will stall?

Quick Reply: 1JZ Running Rich: Bad ECU Capacitor?