Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ready to start 2JZ timing belt job

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 06:16 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I don't know if you have tried to compress that tensioner, but if the tensioner is good it will not compress much after it extends (per the test I paraphrased straight from the manual). so unless you have a very large press around, it will be difficult to compress that guy to put the pin back in, so if its compressed still and there is a pin in there, do not pull it out until its in, lol. It should be very difficult to put back into the short position and get an allen key in there, and if its too easy then the tensioner is shot. I cam across the same problem thats why I was telling you don't worry about compressing it if you can't just let the bolts do the work, and it will push on the roller and take out all the slack.

yeah its a pain to take the valve covers off, but it has to be done every once in a while. the least favorite thing anyone does on a ge motor really, and you will have to take off the "Y" part to get to the drivers side.
Thanks. I managed to use the old belt/chanell-lock method after my daughter got home. She just whacker her elbow pretty good working the breaker bar while I held the pliers! I've been telling her for years that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I do have a wide jaw vice. I'm at least planning to compress the hydraulic tube enough to put something in there easier to pull out than a friggin' pop rivet. How far will the shaft push out if the thing is good? I can put it in my vice now with 1/2" to spare. If I pull the pin, then it expands another 3/4" I'll be in trouble.

What do you think about the fact my daughter put at least 7K miles on it, and somebody else had to have put on more, with the pin in? What the heck kept it from jumping time?

I never got to drive it that much, and enjoyed it vicariously through her, but I did sometimes put it through it's paces. It was fun to drive. I liked it a lot. Was the timing always sloppy? Am I going to get in it when I'm done and REALLY not want to sell it?: LOL
Old 09-25-13, 06:27 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

My wife's Camry is supposed to be 194 hp. It's respectably quick, but has a lower curb weight than the SC. It is faster off the line, but the SC takes it at about 1/8 mile. If I can start doing hole shots in the SC after pulling the pin out of that tensioner, I may just have to get a divorce --- either the wife or the car.
Old 09-26-13, 09:05 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

I put the tensioner in my vice, Ali, compressed it a little to remove the rivet, then opened the vice out. I was able to test it, then fit it back into the vice to load it for install.