Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-01, 10:59 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Ikon,
The radius I was refering to is the transition from the 3.5" pipe to the TB. Ideally it would be a silicon hose type fitting with a radiused inlet like a velocity stack.

The parts at Speed and Style should be adaptable assuming the correct diameters are available.

Yes, PVC type tubing should work well as long as it can be packaged correctly. The inside diameter is the important dimension. In fact the PVC pipe may be best due to its acousticly inert quality. Aluminum would also work.
Old 04-11-01, 02:48 PM
hassi

LEXDOC

platinum Sc. 95 model with 97 tail lights
WHOA! :eek:

I didn't know this was possible, do the 96+ lights fit on the 95 and older SCs? How hard is it to get them on??
Old 04-12-01, 09:11 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Yea or Na...

SC400Nos, did you ever get the TC back from getting custom built at www.ArtCarr.com if so what is the verdict, I'm dying to know.............
Old 04-12-01, 11:55 AM
sc400nos

Default tc

Nope not yet. I can't wait either. I will be sure to let everyone know what the results are.
Old 04-21-01, 12:51 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Unhappy Is it in yet????????

What's up Nos? What's the verdict? I hope it turned out fine...

The Ikon
Old 04-21-01, 03:41 PM
sc400nos

Default no

Actually I had a hold up and I am taking mine out Sun. morning (tomarrow) and sending it off first thing Monday. I am guessing there will be a two week turnaround time and then it will be on. I will be sure to let everyone know what happens. I am afraid I am going to be in the need of some slicks.
Old 04-22-01, 11:31 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Borla

Ikon: The Borla sounds great when standing behind the car at idle - very deep "throaty" sound. Frankly, I'd like to hear a little more noise while driving - doesn't really sound any more "mean" than stock. Expensive, high quality stuff, as you know - I didn't want to take a chance on an unknown brand and at that time I wasn't frequenting any of the Lex forums. The manufacturers ought to have mp3 sound bites of systems/mufflers on various cars (maybe they do?).

All in all, sounds good but not nasty enough for me.

Old 04-22-01, 11:43 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Post Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

What about performance???

Do you feel the car is more responsive overall or was the exhaust IYO just for show/sound only? Where do you feel the most response, lower, mid-range or the upper RPM bands???

I'm sure it looks great because Borla makes some nice looking units, as for the sound on their web site, www.Borla.com , most of the units honestly sound the same over the computer, it's truly hard to tell IMO.....
Old 04-22-01, 11:55 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performance

Ikon:

I had the Borla and K&N installed (by dealer) at the same time. I tried hard not to be overly optomistic about the performane gain (if any). In all honesty, I do believe that I can feel a difference - I've described it as the difference in A/C on/off. From what I've heard, the A/C takes anywhere from 10-20 hp - if that's so, then the combination of both together (KN & Borla) produced something like that hp gain. I know some dispute the hp gains claimed by the mfgs - who knows - Summit Racing quoted me 12-15 hp for the Borla alone. One thing I forget to mention in prev post is when I'm in 2nd (do that a lot) and get off gas, you can hear a little burble from Borlas - kinda like that.
Old 04-23-01, 07:20 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thanks "Red" for the info.

I also noticed, "WOLFY187" has a Trust system on the Coupe. Don't hold back!!! So Wolfy what is the 411 on the Trust, IYO? Perf., looks, sound, build quality, etc...

TIA for the info on the CD adapter on the Electronics Forum....

The Ikon
Old 04-23-01, 08:07 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever ridden in a honda that has a POS exhaust taht sounds SO loud that when you are in the car u develop a headache?? Well the trust sounds nothing like that.

the reason i ask this question is because i thought i wanted a louder exhaust after i had it, but after a weekend in my friend's car I LOVE MY EXHAUST.

You can hear it when you are outside but with the stereo on you can't hear anything.1

Performance?? well its an exhaust, not much difference i think

The quality is great. no complaints except that after i put on my body kit, it rubs the bumper part. So will need to bend and re-allign.

Summary, I love my exhaust, but would want a change for the sake of change. Blitz maybe?? but they only have back section, Or maybe a japanese imporrt. decisions decisions.

AHHH TURBO IT...

Arthur
Old 04-23-01, 08:50 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking Body Kit!!!!!!!!!

What body kit do you have and is your car in the gallery?
if not post some pic if you can...

Back to the exhaust,is it Deep, throaty, or more raspy in comparison to a Mustang GT?
Old 04-23-01, 09:15 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust

deep throaty would describe it.

Vertex body kit. my sig, white lexus in gallery second or 3rd page back

u might want to get in contact with veilsiderspsc he's in houston and u guys might be able to get toghethor for a show or something and you can hear his exhaust.

Arthur
Old 04-23-01, 11:43 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Here we go .....

Check out this procedure for a custom air filter install... well done....

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/k&n...ion/index.html

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/ape...ter/index.html

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/fil...t/special.html

There is also some info under the tech articles about exhaust....
Old 04-24-01, 12:40 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default WHAT DO YOU THINK????

Did it help out any??????

Quick Reply: Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains???