Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-01 | 01:10 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Post new discovery....

After removing my Pass. head light unit to clean the lens.. check out the thread "Damnnnnnnn!!!!!"... I noticed the air intake area... The scoop looking part that directs the air for the factory air box remaining after the box is removed... This piece really does not, direct much air at all, because of the high location, and the very small size of the piece... the total size is almost like those flat car wash type vacuum cleaners .. There is so much empty space in this area to be utilized for a custom unit...

Well, I went and bought 4" PVC piping to have a cold/ram air type, set up. I will place the piping behind the factory air duct to the far left(passenger) with brackets to prevent the PVC from rattling and the top flows direct/colder air to the air filter. I will also add a custom "cold air" chamber (out of Plexiglass or aluminum) to shield the heat off the engine...

Once the "chamber" is made, the PVC pipe will be plugged into the chamber. I'm sure this method will result in a cooler charge of air!
Old 04-28-01 | 11:31 PM
TRE
Rookie

Ikon,

post your results please once you finish.
Old 04-29-01 | 09:21 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Tre....

Glad to have you on the site... My son's nick name is Tre'...

I'm planning on gettting a digital camera soon....

Hopefully, within the next 4 weeks.... I'll keep you posted... Still working on the chamber...

The Ikon....
Old 05-10-01 | 09:20 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

SC400nos..

What's the 411 on that Torque converter???

Just very curious...

The Ikon
Old 05-13-01 | 08:51 AM
TRE
Rookie

TRE, that's short for Treon my first name. Ikon or whom ever wants to give me some advice. A couple of my partners have Flow Tech high flow mufflers on thier rides, 300ZX 92, merecedes c280 95, prelude99, supra94, sc30095 and they say the mufflers are just as good as flow master, and dynamax. plus saving on the price. Some have stainless steel mufflers for $100.00 a peice from JC whitney.

I have 350.00 dollars to spend on parts right now how should I spend it? I know not very much but I just finished college and I have bills now.

Treon
Old 05-13-01 | 12:38 PM
lextek
Driver

I would advise to not remove your cats. In my experience the check engine light will be on all the time due to the sub oxygen sensors seeing dirty exhaust. The code(s) would be Bank 1 and Bank 2 catalyst performing below threshold. There is too many legitimate upgrades available other than removing your catalytic converters. This would be a downgrade in my opinion.
Old 05-13-01 | 03:01 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

not so...lextek

I have mine 1995 SC400 without the three cats for about 2 years already and I have yet to see the light come on. BTW I just spanked a vette today WWWWWWHHHHOOOOOPPPPPPPYYYYYYY!!!!

Mind
Old 05-13-01 | 06:17 PM
lextek
Driver

Thats good stuff! After posting that reply I thought that an OBD 1 car may not trip the light. However you have a 1995 model which OBD II started in 1995 and therefore SHOULD turn your light on. It may come down to production dates should yours be an early 95 ( production date somewhere around 8/94 etc.) it would not turn your light on. Look under your dash on the drivers side, if you see a rectangular port it is an OBD 2 car if you see a round port it is an OBD 1 car. Keep in mind OBD 2 cars have a round port with the rectangular one. Congrats, always like to hear a Lexus spanking a Vette!!
Old 05-13-01 | 10:32 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

My son is the 3rd, hence the name Tre. We all are name after my Father.

Okay back to business.. Well I don't know anyhting about flowtech mufflers except the price, but as for FM or DM they are great mufflers. As noted by others on this post. I've used FM and enjoyed them. It's really a flexible opinion. I plan to try DM this time...

As for the FT, ask yourself these questions............
How does the mufflers sound on your bud's cars, how's the construction of the shells, what about flow ratings?

Hey, for $350.0 you can get the following....

Hi-flo filter and maf adapter = $50.00
Heat shield = $2.00
Ram air type induction pipe/funnel = $8.00
NGK plugs = $50.00 (labor a little spare time)
Flow master/Dyno Max mufflers(you chose) = $50.00 each (labor $40 bucks including tips too)
Some nice stainless steel tips 3 1/2" - 4 1/2" = $30.00 each
Racing pedals = $30.00

Now you have $10.00 left over to save towards a torque converter.
Old 05-14-01 | 10:22 AM
TRE
Rookie

thanks for the advice on the 350$. Ikon, this is a nice list for the money I maight try this too. The flowtechs are $29 each they sound pretty nice. I'm not sure on the quality of build I don't know what to look for. They look like other mufflers to me.

Does any body agree or disagree with The Ikon's list. or just have something to add or take away different?

cool nick name for the son and you!
Old 05-14-01 | 11:07 AM
mindflux
Pole Position

lextek you know your stuff...round yeap OBD 1 here!

Do you know of a way to reprogram the ECU? like move the shift points on the tranny a bit higher? is it possible with the lexus computer analizer? I would love to rev this engine to about 7 grand if possible. So far I trip the rev limiter just a tad at 6550, that's when I actually gain the power to shift to second and smoke 'em pesky domestic V8s. Just a thought.

Mind

Old 05-14-01 | 11:45 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Mind,

There's a guy on the forum that has a JET ecu upgrade. I forgot who it is or the thread it's on. I was really interested in getting more info from him to, in terms of what was done.... rev limiter removed, fuel air remap, ignition changes, etc? I know Jet is a reputable company; however, I also know the ecu in our cars are hard to CRACK.

If you know the owner or thread let me know. TIA

Yeah, Treon let us know what you decide.

The Ikon
Old 05-24-01 | 08:59 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

HellaBoy, I hope this helps...
Old 05-24-01 | 09:55 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Post QUOTE... Hoops_24

If cost isn't an issue, Greddy is far and away the best exhaust system out there. I have a Greddy on a Probe GT that I own (Don't laugh) and you will not find a more cool looking or sounding exhaust. The thing is built like a tank and is full stainless steel and highly polished.
It will cost you a few dead presidents though. Last I checked they're running close to $1000 for the SC.

You'll pay, but you won't go wrong with then Greddy.

Hoops

Last edited by The Ikon; 05-24-01 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-24-01 | 09:59 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I had that thread transferred to the Engine/Transmission section...... Where I should have posted it in the beginning...

As for the greddy exhaust I heard them on other vehicles and they are ok, but for $1000 bucks... to high.....

IMO Dyno max, FlowMaster, Borla sounds better especially on a V8...

Greddy, HKS, Arospeed sounds ok on 6 cyl...

Hoops I think Ford should've continued with the GT Probe... It was a fresh designed and capable handling car... it does not accept upgrades at all for perf... that's it only draw back. Sport compact car mag. had one for a year and got 0 for mods that actually increase power. Except NOS...

A few members have their opinions on sound, perf, looks etc... Just read the post on the thread... I'm going with Dynomax SS mufflers for less than $200 bucks installed for looks and that powerful sweet, low mellow tone that is not offense... Plus DM and Flowmaster delta series, flow better that those other "after market" high dollar systems according to the flow data vs the others...

Quick Reply: Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains???