Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 10:04 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Post QUOTE...

Yes, I have a set of ultraflows for sale.(SEE CLASSIFIED SC SECTION) The only difference in the dimensions of the ultraflows compared to the stock mufflers: the ultraflows size and shape and location of the inlet and outlet are nearly identical to the stock mufflers. The ultraflows in my opinion from looking at it is that the color is silver or gray? and the ultraflows looks to be about an 1" to 1 1/4" thinner compared to the stock mufflers.
The ultraflows inlet and outlet size are 2 1/4" compared to the stock being only 2" inlet and outlet.
The sound from these ultraflows in my opinion sounds better than the magnaflows b/c I had the shop let me test out the ultraflows and magnaflows for a day each on my car.
The ultraflows feels to me that it flows better than the magnaflows.
Magnaflows just sounds like the flowmaster deltaforce or flowmaster 3 chambers.

Take care,

banking, van
van25_99@yahoo.com
Old 05-24-01, 10:54 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet.

Thanks Ikon, I tried looking for this thread before, but no avail. This definately does help.
Old 05-25-01, 09:07 PM
94SC300TX

Thumbs up I have Borla on our SC

I have Borla on our Lexus and think it sounds great, especially for free!! My father had a 1995 SC400 that he had the Borla and my K&N air filter on and when he traded it in on a 2000 S430, he took the Borla and K&N off and it had been sitting in storage ever since.

It has a deep rumble at idle and also sound louder and deeper than stock when giving it gas or driving. It really sounded great on the SC400.. and for the money and quality, you can't beat it.. it even looks killer! I also have the Borla cat back system on my Camaro and always get compliments on it... sounds great with one side going straight though bypassing the muffler and one going through the muffler!!!!! If anyone in Austin or Houston wants to hear it sometime, let me know. There is a pic the borla on our car in the Gallery I just uploaded today.

Jason
Old 05-27-01, 06:13 PM
TRE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Dynomax....

I got the dynomax mufflers put on Fri. and they sound great! not to loud just right! I have the stock tips now but i'm getting some more tips when I find the right ones. Go for the dynomax and save some cheese and get the results plus the sound you are looking for. Thanks Ikon for the input. I'm still waiting on my apex filter I ordered. It was to be in on Monday of last week . I hope it will be in Tuesday if not I'm canceling my order and find another one.

Damn these dynomax sure sound great!
Old 05-28-01, 07:35 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Post Quote from "Banking"

How are you doing? Back to the subject on the tone of the dynomax ultraflow vs flowmaster variety of mufflers.
The ultraflow at idle is barely noticeable maybe a little little little deep soft tone. At wot it puts a smile on your face the sound is deep but subtle. Not like a gm v8 or dodge v8 just sounds at wot like a smooth flowing deep soft mellow tone but not too overly aggressive like a chevy v8(no offense b/c I used to own a IROC-Z.
Compared to flowmaster and magnaflows imo the dynomax ultraflows sounds better at idle and all throughout the rev band.

Banking
van

Last edited by The Ikon; 05-30-01 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-29-01, 07:48 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Tre witch dynomax mufflers did you install? Also what type of Apex intake are you installing??

Raj
Old 06-11-01, 08:54 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I'm sure if you were to go and drive a Mercedes that was produced in the last 20 years that you'd get the idea of what an 1800 rpm stall convertor does for the feel of the car.I don't know why Toyota/Lexus didn't bother to do the same,gas mileage maybe?
Is the Rod Millen product the only convertor available,and is this what you sell?
Old 07-01-01, 09:22 PM
TRE
Rookie

Thumbs up

Dynomax ultraflows not the stainless steel ones the regular ones and the intake is just the apex cone filter on an maf adapter. Did I mention the muffs sound and feel great. You would have to be a dummy to buy borla, greddy, or any of the high dollar muffs. When they dyno are 4times cheaper and have great quality and air flow and sound!:eek:
Old 07-04-01, 09:54 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Sorry guys/gals,picked up from the first page there when I made my input towards the torque convertor discussion.
I would like to hear more feedback on how the JET ecu prom works though,sounds like it could be a decent way to improve things without making the car hiss through the intake,or attract to much attention(exhaust).
Old 07-04-01, 12:56 PM
TRE
Rookie

Arrow

Kutsire has one on his SC4. He responded to one post I can not remember when it was. Maybe it was the {after market ignition} post.
Old 07-04-01, 01:19 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, I'll post this up here where it should be. If you want to hear the DynoMax on my car, here's where ya go:

http://www.LexusSC300.com

Scroll down on the mainpage, it's right below the picture in the newest news. Also there is the sound from my intake.

And for whomever was looking for a supercharger for their SC400:

http://www.cs-comrade.co.jp

Has them for about $5500. You've gotta call, unless you can read Japanese. They do speak English there tho!

SR
Old 08-13-01, 10:52 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

NSXREDSC here is most of the info to your question...
Old 08-13-01, 07:51 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Arrow air time again

hey Ikon, I tested out my first fiberglass 'ram air' unit. Like you stated on pg 4 of this post, that little plastic duct behind the headlight is not very effective at all.

Soooo, I am have a scoop which pulls in from the entire surface area in the passanger side front bumper area and directs it up and into my heat shield box where the filter is. It weighs barely anything and makes another big difference. You can make one with $20 of materials.

Works wonders with the heatshield box system. Still working on the custom pipe (not a smoking one).
Old 08-13-01, 08:41 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

For my ram air unit I used 4 1/2 aluminum dryer hose and for the scoop I used a $5.00 plastic scoop from Home Depot in the "rain gutter" section I'm still trying to fabricate a professional replica of your heat shield box... I need to go ahead and pay a machine shop to cut it prof. or buy one of yours!

Once you perfect the custom "PIPE" I'm going to be your 1st customer!

Old 08-14-01, 06:08 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Arrow Why cat-back exhaust doesn't do much

The lexus pipes into the main cat have this horrid little half-moon shaped inlet that squeezes the exhaust pipe going into the cat down to about 1/2 its size. I replaced the cat on my car in favor of a big coupling into a larger mouth cat so the pipes don't change shape and you get a nice x-pipe scavenging effect.

This is why we don't see much change with those cat back systems I think... try that. Or, put in 2 smaller cats for each pipe, although you may not be able to heat the elements enough to pass smog.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains???