Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-01 | 01:35 AM
machinegt
Pole Position

woah did u say that the exhaust tone is like a corvette? holy crap that is awesome! if i can get my lexus to sound like a damn corvette, so be it!!!!!
Old 09-05-01 | 02:07 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I would say that with the weapon r intake and my exhaust system my car reminds me of the old 440 Magnum in the '68 charger, just higher strung.
one note: the weapon r intake for our cars is just a big pipe, big super high flow filter (resistance is non-existant on it) and a better heat shield. The crappy dryer hose cold air thing wasn't part of the deal with my car.
Old 09-05-01 | 08:57 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Talking Big Intake!!

Now take a look at a proper intake for the SC400......

It sits behind the front grill, you can just make it out between the two arrows!

Unfortunately its no longer available.....

Very high pressure into the 'stock' air box, which 'keeps' nearly all the pressure......

Still working on the Karman AFM, which is the real killer to performance improvements on the intake side.

Once I remove that.........

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains???-intake.jpg  
Old 09-05-01 | 10:50 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

What were you doing to the poor car in that pic? Plenty of support...looks like you were gonna be banging on stuff...lol

SR
Old 09-06-01 | 10:37 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Smile Overkill....

lol

It was only the two axle stands holding my baby up, honest, I'd just left the jack in place......

It took about 40 minutes to cut the plastic 'shield' in front of the radiator so that I could fit the air intake. So I was making sure my baby didn't squish my head....

I guess we have nearly as much fun trying to modify our Soarer V8's and Twin Turbo's as you do your SC's....

I'll be swapping the differential over from a TT to my V8 in the next week, with the lower gearing I should be able to get off the line a little faster....

Do the SC400 owners ever swap in the diff from the SC300? Only I assume the gearing on the SC300 is lower.

To see if we can get rid of the restriction on the air flow we have started to look at this piece of kit, instead of the APexi. With it we can remove the Lexus AFM completely. Anybody ever done anything similar?

http://sandstallion.com/link_afm.html

Old 09-06-01 | 12:09 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Question Slow Rider

I'm confused. What exactly are you talking about. I can not see the intak/air inlet to the filter. Could you explain in detail or post some more pics of the exact thing you are referring to?

quote:

It sits behind the front grill, you can just make it out between the two arrows!

Unfortunately its no longer available.....

Thanks for the link to the AFM company.
Old 09-06-01 | 12:09 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I just called them to talk about that part. The only benefit it has over the APEX'i S-AFC is that the AFM is out of the loop totally. You still get more monitoring and configuration ability with the APEX'i. And did they happen to tell you that it's $650 for that, PLUS another $300 to get a box that allows you to program it? Yucky....

It does look promising tho....if the APEX'i unit wasn't available, I would get one of those!!

SR
Old 09-06-01 | 12:27 PM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Unhappy Wow!

I'm still waiting on pricing details from a UK supplier but the initial figure was $200 less than you were quoted.

Which made it close in price to the APexi 'over' here..... looks like big price differences between the US and UK.

Maybe I should buy the Apexi from the USA

Last edited by 'S'Low Rider; 09-06-01 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-06-01 | 12:39 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Post neato

Try ebay for an S-afc, you might get a deal. I called them also and spoke with Loren. The unit really seems to be a good deal better than most anything I've found since you can remove the MAF completly.

It is also upgradeable and they will check to see if their engine management system can replace our stock computer. Remember, even if you get this part - you will not see a great deal of improvement unless at WOT. Our computers keep hold of everything until then. You will of course get much more air, but its a question of fuel also.

It would be nice to take the computer right out of the loop and have total control. The power gains could be incredible. Of course, you are looking at quite a bit of money at this route.

Comments?

Oh, Ikon, there is a diagram of that intake in one of the earlier heatshield posts. It pulls in air right between the arrows to a rectangle box which outlets through a tube into the stock airbox. You replace the piece going into the airbox (under the headlight) with theirs The guys molds were stolen however...
Old 09-06-01 | 01:11 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Like that AEM rectangular cold air unit? Which uses a panel filter with a plexi glass cover and aluminum/metal housing rect./box?
Old 09-07-01 | 09:07 PM
SCV8
Instructor

There's a company named SplitSecond that sells airflow meters and controllers so that you can put a larger unit on the engine and increase the flow a bit.
Might be cheaper(?)
Old 09-08-01 | 01:38 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Unhappy It all costs money.....

After the basic mods to the V8 the costs sure do start to mount......

I like the Apexi S-AFC apart from the fact the stock AFM stays there....

As you rightly point out until you tweak the ECU the gains are still not as large as they could be.....

Then trying to find 'anyone' who has tweaked the ECU seems a problem.

The only way to get real power out of the V8 is to remove the stock ECU.....

So I'll follow my (expensive) path, get MiNes in Japan to up all of the standard parameters in the ECU, so that I see gains all the time and not just at WOT. But the money thing sure slows me down.....

Old 09-08-01 | 01:58 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Dude, don't even bother.

My friends at Weapon-R imported the correct ECU diagrams today. So, we will be dyno tuning the Intercrew piggyback ECU in my car shortly, save the settings, and have a cold air intake/ECU package worth 20-30 rwhp and the same in torque available as soon as we finalize the settings and they put it into production. The price will be around $1000.
Old 09-08-01 | 02:17 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Talking Way to go!

Thinking about all the money I was going to spend sure made my day grey.....

But the sun just came out.......

Old 09-13-01 | 07:53 AM
'S'Low Rider
Driver

Talking Off Topic

Sorry that this post is off topic, just a quick update on another little mod to my Soarer.....

I managed to buy a 'used' differential from a Soarer TT, which has lower gearing than the standard V8. Both diffs have identical fittings so it is very straight forward to swap them over.....2 hours....

First impressions are that the car is quicker getting away and more responsive.

I'll get some trap times soon to see if there is a real difference.

Cost.....$375......

Quick Reply: Exhaust Horsepower/Sound Gains???