Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car dies after plugging in MAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 11:38 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car dies after plugging in MAF

friend of mine has a factory 92 5spd...it was sitting for a couple months and when we went to start it up, the car would run/idle without the MAF connected but once connected, the car dies out completely.

he's rebuilt the ECU and has tried 2 different MAF's, all of which brought no luck

any ideas/suggestions on what could be happening/causing this?
Old 10-08-13, 12:23 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

try the 12v ecu pump mod
Old 10-08-13, 01:04 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Moved to performance and maintenance section.
no don't try the 12v fuel pump mod, that has nothing to do with the maf. if it is running at all you have spark and fuel, it is clearly a sensor or electronics issue if it clears up when disconnecting the maf.

This really does point to a faulty maf or some other sensor. did the other maf you tried work before or do you guys not know. can't rule out a bad maf if you are not sure the replacement works.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-08-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 02:47 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Use an MAF that you're sure is in working condition and swap it in to see if that makes a difference.
Old 10-09-13, 06:20 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Moved to performance and maintenance section.
no don't try the 12v fuel pump mod, that has nothing to do with the maf. if it is running at all you have spark and fuel, it is clearly a sensor or electronics issue if it clears up when disconnecting the maf.

This really does point to a faulty maf or some other sensor. did the other maf you tried work before or do you guys not know. can't rule out a bad maf if you are not sure the replacement works.
Originally Posted by SC400slide
Use an MAF that you're sure is in working condition and swap it in to see if that makes a difference.
i'm unsure the condition of the other MAFs when we replaced them with the original, he had obtained them somehow and we just plugged them in trying to see if that was theissue. all three (inlcuding the factory MAF) gave the same result, and the coincidence as to how likely that could be for all of them kind of swayed us away from that

i'll see if we can get someone local with a 92 SC300 to swing by and test theirs. thx!
Old 11-13-13, 12:30 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

What ended up being the problem here? I'm having a similar issue. MAF plugged in, the car runs like ****. Sputters down low and clears up in the mid range to pull hard. Replaced it with a MAF from aliga and I have the exact same problem.

The only time a CEL shows up is when the MAF is unplugged, and its accompanied by the TRAC light. No lights at all when the MAF is plugged in and it's tricky to diagnose.
Old 11-13-13, 04:34 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

look for a good MAF that you know will work and try again, there is a high chance that all 3 MAF's you guys got could be bad.
Old 11-25-13, 10:09 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
look for a good MAF that you know will work and try again, there is a high chance that all 3 MAF's you guys got could be bad.
I swapped my second MAF with a known good unit from a neighbor. The car will run fine from down low for a minute or two, and then runs terribly afterwards. Same thing; MAF plugged in and it sputters and feels like a misfire until about 2,100 RPM. Afterwards she feel beautiful.

MAF unplugged and despite the CEL and TRAC lights being on, and getting horrible gas mileage, she runs perfectly.

Anything in the MAF wiring that could be wrong? WHen I swapped the parts I only changed out the sensor itself, not the metal housing. Is there any reason the metal housing would cause an issue with the computer reading the MAF?