Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

intercooler piping super close to crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 09:49 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default intercooler piping super close to crank

hey guys, soooooooo i installed the 20 feet of fmic piping after removing my SMIC setup and noticed my crank pulley is incredibly close to my piping. I actually got jammed on a rock the other day and it mashed my piping into my crank.

Anyone have pictures of their ic piping around the crank??? Thinking i should have gone vertical fmic right off the bat.

There is barely a finger tip between my piping and crank pulley and im always cringing when i think about it. Should i re size piping to gain clearance?
Old 10-09-13, 08:37 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa, why are your FMIC pipes anywhere near the crank in the first place? Is this na-t? or gte? I can get you pictures of a GTE setup (single turbo), and I have pics of my old na-t setup also if needed.
Old 10-10-13, 09:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah there is probably another way to route it, none of my setups have gone past the crank, including a same side intercooler setup on na-t, and a front mount on na-t, and a front mount with a FFIM on a na-t.
If your pipes are coming back to the passenger side for regular na-t then you can try going in front of the radiator or lowering it some and follow close to the swaybar (but not too close).
Old 10-10-13, 07:36 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah there is probably another way to route it, none of my setups have gone past the crank, including a same side intercooler setup on na-t, and a front mount on na-t, and a front mount with a FFIM on a na-t.
If your pipes are coming back to the passenger side for regular na-t then you can try going in front of the radiator or lowering it some and follow close to the swaybar (but not too close).
yeah its an fmic on na-t, sits like a quarter inch from the crank. no bueno. Bought it off a fellow member but dunno how else it could go. Drove car but always worried bout it hitting at high speeds somehow.

its a traditional one way one way out setup. Probably just sell it for the setup i wanted originally which is the vertical fmic same side inlet and outlet

Last edited by sj408; 10-10-13 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 08:47 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

unfortunately unless you get some tight 90 degree bends and manage to go in front of the radiator which is difficult, you will probably want to be going around where the sway bar is and really not that much above it so you aren't in the plane of the crank.

It works best going from turbo along swaybar to drivers side, then passenger side to the throttle body how everyone does it.
It is alot of piping and when I use the stock intake manifold I have a same side intercooler that I like to use, just keeps piping down and since everything is on the passenger side all the drivers side plastics can stay like stock, and the passenger side for the most part as well.

you could also just zip tie it for now to something rigid that will keep it from hitting the crank. nothing crazy is going to happen except eventually it may wear through the pipe if it keeps hitting it. as long as it can't snag the belt it should be alright.
Old 10-14-13, 08:52 AM
sj408
Instructor

Got it all adjusted, seems quite a bit safer. Should be fine until i switch up my setup again. LOL

seems to function quite well with this greddy fmic i fitted up.