Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is a 2JZ VVTI considerably stronger than a 1JZ VVTI on the butt dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 01:08 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a 2JZ VVTI considerably stronger than a 1JZ VVTI on the butt dyno?

I'm considering either a 1JZ VVTI or a 2JZ VVTI auto trans swap for an SC300. I know a 5 speed would be WAY more fun, but 5 sp SC300 cars cost considerably more (even though I know an auto car could have pedals and a master cylinder installed), and the motorset itself costs considerably more, plus I have a 5 speed 300ZX TT for 5 speed turbo fun.

I just want to be able to hop into a turbo car that's automatic now and then so it's easier to drive in traffic and can just set it and forget it. I found an importer in Florida with free shipping with 1JZ VVTIs with compression videos and the numbers show great. It's $1500 shipped, with most everything swaps generally come with: harness, ecu, trans, motor, turbos, etc.

However, for $100 more (plus a little bit of shipping probably), JDM Engine Depot in New Jersey has an Ariso 2JZ VVTI with pretty much all the same stuff with the motorset as the 1JZ, and they also show videos for each engine.

I'm just curious if the twins and the little extra displacement on the 2JZ will have a much more profound effect on the fun factor than the 1JZ with a single turbo, to make it worth probably $3-400 more shipped to my house?

And I'm sure you're curious why I want a VVTI, well for one the engine is prettier when the hood is popped, plus it's newer, so there's a much higher chance the engine hasn't been sitting as long in a warehouse somewhere.

I am currently trying to track down information on how to make either one of these motors a rear sump so it'd fit in the SC300 correctly. However, if it doesn't work, I can always just find a clean Starion shell to drop a front sump motor in
Old 12-05-13, 08:19 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,239 Likes on 866 Posts

I can't speak from experience but my understanding is that VVT-i didn't do major revelations for the 2JZ-GTE engine. It improved the power band and is a bit different to dyno tune but it's got the same potential as a non-VVT-i once you go with a single setup. Someone more learned about this engine elaborate, please.

The 1JZ-GTE VVT-i on the other hand, is VERY different from its earlier counterpart. Stock for stock it won't match any version of the 2JZ-GTE but it comes close due to its torque characteristics . Look into the Tomei ARMS and HKS turbo upgrades that are built to bolt on to its very proprietary manifold. Those raise the engine's potential to around 450-500hp without much work. Beyond that and it gets tricker and that's where the the 2JZ-GTE (VVT-i or non-VVT) and early 1JZ non-VVT plus a big single turbo surpass it.

I've seen a 1JZ VVT-i automatic SC in action running just under 16psi on the stock CT15B turbo and it's plenty quick for a daily. Plus the gas mileage while cruising is better than with the 3.0 liter JZ.

I'd say it depends on what you want from the car. As a 5-speed owner I highly recommend the stick be it original or a swap but it sounds like you've got that covered with your Z32TT (nice car btw!). An automatic engine swap will most certainly have less abuse than a 5-speed swap would.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-06-13 at 11:36 AM.