Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 Rebuild (Opinions Valued)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 04:40 PM
1CleanSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The R154 will be bolted to a stock 1998 2JZ-GE VVT-i. So after the Performance Rebuild Kit the transmission will basically be on vacation at all times with the low power going through it. Yes a long way down the road I want to make power, but until then I'm just gonna save my money. I would love to do a V160 swap, but I'll just wait and see what the future holds. Hopefully one day I can own a supra as long as they all haven't been wrecked / beaten the hell out of.
Old 12-10-13, 07:07 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Used v160 is almost as much as a gamble as a used R154, they are generally in better shape but they are also much more expensive = risk.
But if you put your money into the rebuilt R154 at least you know you have something that should last a while without issues.

AliSC3 is right on the dot with this. The rebuilder at my transmission shop said he has seen V160's break. Granted, customers come to them to have 1,000+ HP rebuilds but they are not entirely indestructible and they are absolutely not immune to wear and tear. You just don't see it until you start playing with very big numbers. Think of how good they were when brand new in the Supras they were bolted into and think of what kind of driving they have seen before coming up for sale-- goes for all used transmissions.

A V160 can wear like any other trans, so to really compare prices compare a rebuilt V160 or a new v160 to a rebuilt R154.
^^ Very good advice.

1CleanSC, it sounds like you would do better for now to work with the R154. Rebuilt they can take plenty of power and they are not the compromise people make them out to be in terms of shift feel as long as they are in good condition internally or rebuilt/strengthened.
Old 12-10-13, 07:20 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like anything you buy used it's a gamble. With the prices of r154 as high as they are going for now a v160 is definitely an option to me. They use to be only 400 ish and now I see them going for 1k or more.
Old 12-11-13, 06:28 AM
1CleanSC
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
AliSC3 is right on the dot with this. The rebuilder at my transmission shop said he has seen V160's break. Granted, customers come to them to have 1,000+ HP rebuilds but they are not entirely indestructible and they are absolutely not immune to wear and tear. You just don't see it until you start playing with very big numbers. Think of how good they were when brand new in the Supras they were bolted into and think of what kind of driving they have seen before coming up for sale-- goes for all used transmissions. ^^ Very good advice. 1CleanSC, it sounds like you would do better for now to work with the R154. Rebuilt they can take plenty of power and they are not the compromise people make them out to be in terms of shift feel as long as they are in good condition internally or rebuilt/strengthened.
Kahn, that's now I feel too. My car will never get near the 1,000+ horsepower range. Another reason I want the R154 is to make it as close to a soarer as possible. Yes, I realize that I will never fully become a soarer and I don't want to RHD swap it to most importantly keep it unique to me and unique to the Club Lexus Community. This has been the inspiration to my build thus far. This CL member resides in my hometown where I'm currently located. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...495&styleid=13
Old 12-11-13, 08:45 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by jwin
Like anything you buy used it's a gamble. With the prices of r154 as high as they are going for now a v160 is definitely an option to me. They use to be only 400 ish and now I see them going for 1k or more.
I paid $850 for my virgin MKIII R154. No 1JZ bell housing, no shifter extension but I could actually see the car it came from and confirmed 111k on the odometer. If the 7M had been modified for more power I couldn't tell. I'm amazed they used to be cheaper.

Originally Posted by 1CleanSC
Kahn, that's now I feel too. My car will never get near the 1,000+ horsepower range. Another reason I want the R154 is to make it as close to a soarer as possible. Yes, I realize that I will never fully become a soarer and I don't want to RHD swap it to most importantly keep it unique to me and unique to the Club Lexus Community. This has been the inspiration to my build thus far. This CL member resides in my hometown where I'm currently located. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...495&styleid=13
We think alike on this, staying Soarer spec. The V160 would have been overkill for my purposes but I am certain I'd love it in my car. Initially I was going to do a 1JZ swap but the 2JZGTE is also what I'm doing. The R154 is a fine transmission to stay with. I'm interested in doubling my current horsepower and torque and staying on the milder side of what that engine can do.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-11-13 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-13, 09:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I find the more expensive r154's are the ones with shifter extensions or been used in an SC. just hold out for a mk3 owner who is ready to call it quits with the 7M, they usually do eventually =), and scoop one up.
for a vvti you probably didn't even need to rebuild it, but it is wise to do it once unless you are the person who doesn't mind pulling the trans several times. I know 1 time under there would be enough for me.
Kahn, you will not regret going with the 2jz. the down low power with the twins is amazing and your trans will handle BPU++ all day long.
Old 12-11-13, 10:56 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All of you guys made some valid points! I agree with everyone.

If i were the OP I would only let Jacks transmission do the rebuild , because they are the best in the business!
Old 12-11-13, 12:58 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Good Info, I think I need to go r154 soon and take the garage queen to the next level.
Old 12-11-13, 10:06 PM
KahnBB6

I find the more expensive r154's are the ones with shifter extensions or been used in an SC.
for a vvti you probably didn't even need to rebuild it, but it is wise to do it once unless you are the person who doesn't mind pulling the trans several times. I know 1 time under there would be enough for me.
I agree with this too. I wanted to do my R154 right and be done with it until I'm ready for the engine swap. I REALLY didn't need to rebuild it just to bolt onto my NA engine but I wanted that part of my build completed and there is nothing like having a fresh transmission

Kahn, you will not regret going with the 2jz. the down low power with the twins is amazing and your trans will handle BPU++ all day long.
Thanks Ali! I don't think I will either but I have a loooong road ahead! I've been collecting USDM electronics so far (no harness yet). Eventually I'll have an entire engine! I will stick with the stock twins but I plan to get a standard GT28 wheel rebuild on those before use too. There is no way with two functioning cats, 91 octane gas, EGR, a stock ECU, stock 550cc injectors and a side mount intercooler (hopefully a Miami GT or one of the custom UK models I've heard of) that I will be stressing my R154 at all. I'd also like my twins to last for a while so that's also a consideration in keeping it simple. I know they are limited to 18psi but I have been trying to understand if even 14-15psi (BPU) significantly shortens their average service life. There is always the STU upgrade for the twins though... @ $3k

Yeah, I know I'm a bit boring in the horsepower department

Aside, I need to talk to you about the 12V fuel mod soon. I'm planning to buy a USDM TT fuel pump ECU and run correct heavier gauge wiring to it but... perhaps that is overkill?

Good Info, I think I need to go r154 soon and take the garage queen to the next level.
What horsepower are you at currently? Your expertise with your engine while still running a W58 has given me pause more than once! But I think you would like the R154. I've found it very easy to drive with even on my short 4.27 rear.

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
All of you guys made some valid points! I agree with everyone.

If i were the OP I would only let Jacks transmission do the rebuild , because they are the best in the business!
Old 12-12-13, 09:06 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah you should't be stressing the r154 much with that combo. I don't think 14-15 psi shortens the usdm twins lifetime much at all, I would set it at like 16-17 psi and enjoy. you only get like 11 psi up till 4k rpm's anyways with how the system switched over and then you get familiar with the spring mod and all that stuff.

12V mod, sure just shoot me a PM or post a thread about it, maybe we can write up a better version, so many ways to do it really. probably doesn't need heavier gauge than stock unless you are going to much higher power levels. the stock power wires are not too bad actually.

what HP am I at? that is a good question I have no idea, I need to hit a dyno. my guess is over 400 and less than 5ish right now at 17 psi. I want to dyno it soon and see what it does, the I am going to put the boost cut controller on it and see what I can max it out as. I should probably throw in some 550's to be safer but mysteriously the gauge is saying I have a rich mixture still.

I still wonder about my w58 too honestly, in 95 they went to the remote shifter and maybe some small changes nothing to warrant it not grenading apart though like it should.
Mine is in great condition and I take care after a long pull to not slam it into the next gear, and I think that is half the battle, and also probably half the fun =( If I had a vlsd or 295's I may have broken it already though.
I am sure I would like the R154, I do baby the w58 is probably why there are no issues for me yet but I hate my clutch so if the w58 is coming down its not going back in that is for sure.
Old 12-13-13, 12:05 AM
1CleanSC
Driver

Yeah I'm just really hesitant about shipping it off for the rebuild. I know there are plenty of companies that are more than capable of doing the rebuild. I just don't wanna pay shipping / insanely high labor costs.
Turns out I won't be able to rebuild my R154 with my grandfather as he is busy getting a building of his built along with other things. I'm going to continue researching in my area and finding someone with affordable labor costs who is efficient.
I talked to one person and they quoted 8-10 hours on the rebuild, where I've heard that it takes someone 6 hours MAX on average. What do you all think? I just don't want to be ripped off. I haven't had the best luck buying parts for my SC so far. Everything has been junk and ended up in the garbage or returned.
Old 12-13-13, 08:06 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

send it off to a good shop, the extra shipping is worth it. the extra hours and then when they get in there and can't finish it if you take it to your average place not experienced with these trans, you could be in for a world of hurt.

what about sending it to marlin crawler? they have with shipping for under 1700
http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...te/r154-2wd-hd
Old 12-13-13, 10:53 AM
1CleanSC
Driver

Ali SC3

If I send it off it will be to them. But with that current wait from 9-11 weeks... I am very hesitant
Old 12-13-13, 11:36 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ Then do what you want, seems like people running in circles here.

You ask for people's opinion and when they tell you what you should do , you just brush them OFF..
Old 12-13-13, 12:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah you will have to decide really several trust worthy shops have been named so you can call and compare prices and shipping options. Marlin does have a wait but all they rebuild are toyota trans and transfer cases, and thats where the upgraded parts first came from. I think that price does not inclue the 3-4 shift fork though I think it is extra. If you feel you can get your hands dirty and DIY and have a shop press and the required tools then you will have to decide on that one.

Quick Reply: R154 Rebuild (Opinions Valued)