Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Issue Starting Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 09:52 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Issue Starting Car

Ok so My battery is maybe almost two months old, has never been discharged and was reading a healthy 12.2v the second time

Since this morning, whenever my car is cold the first time I try to start the car it won't turn over.
The first time it made absolutely no noise and the starter wasn't even trying to start the car. So I pulled the key out and tried it again and it worked fine. I drove around and ran a bunch of errands stopping at numerous places with no issue starting the car.

I get home and maybe 4 hours later try to turn my car on to pull it into the garage to do some work to it and it won't start the first time.
This time it makes the typical startups noise for half a second before it quits making all noise and just leaves the dash and head unit on like I had just turned the key to "on" and left it there,
I turned the key back to off and tried to start it again and it started just fine and sounded completely normal.

Again I checked the battery with my DMM.
I don't have anytime at all to even look at it until this friday.
What are some possible culprits? I know I should check all of the wires coming from the battery for corrosion, including the ground to make sure they are secure and giving good connection. Should I also be looking to change my starter, when they go out does it resemble this at all?
Could it be an ignition switch?

I'm curious to hear what you guys say before I go back to work on this car. I'm really sick of having to fix this car and would like to get just one month of uneventful driving out of it before having to bring a wrench to my garage party... but unfortunately this is not the case.
Old 12-24-13, 09:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds like terminals usually pops its head when its cold outside. Give it a solid whack with the back end of a screwdriver or something not metal next time and see if it starts up easier. some coca cola on the terminals will help get the corrosion off in a pinch as well till you get a chance to clean/replace them.