Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Name these ports - VWR intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 10:41 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Name these ports - VWR intake

What are the first two ports from the left? I assume the first is IAT. Is the second for MAP? Seems awfully big. I get the rest are vac ports but the first two are a little confusing.

thanks

Old 02-13-14, 11:13 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Apparently it's IAC. Had no idea it'd be integrated into the intake. guess i'll have to fab up a block off for the one on my throttle body.
Old 02-13-14, 01:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

IAT on the left, then the big one is for a GTE idle air control valve. you can get one from a 2jzgte or a 7mgte just slightly different shape, dont forget to rip the coolant lines off of it they are bulky and useless just do a bypass.

most people use a q45 or some other throttle body when going FFIM, and then you loose the IAC on the stock throttle body. the one on the stock throttle body will not bolt on there it is missing the base piece and the check valve. you can block off either one if using the stock throttle body, but I would personally run a GTE IAC since you have the flange for it and change to a bigger shorter throttle body, the stock one is horribly to fit decent intercooler piping on towards the radiator cause it is so long.
Old 02-13-14, 02:29 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

I have the accufab 90mm TB that VWR uses so i'll be running that. they make a block off plate for it so I should be good to go. I have the wiring changes I need for the ford TPS.

I saw in another thread you had said we can use LS400 IACV which is what I'm planning to do and will knock off all the coolant fittings. I don't think the GE has the coolant lines in it so no bypass should be necessary.

thanks again!
Old 02-13-14, 02:48 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Hmm apparently the 96 and 97 IACV is different on the GE than the earlier setups. Wonder if it'd work. Flange and pinout supposed to be the same and it only has the one barb for air and no coolant fittings to fuss with. Going to have to check that out I think.

Here's the bottom of a 96/97 unit

Old 02-13-14, 03:02 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SCereal
I have the accufab 90mm TB that VWR uses so i'll be running that. they make a block off plate for it so I should be good to go. I have the wiring changes I need for the ford TPS.

I saw in another thread you had said we can use LS400 IACV which is what I'm planning to do and will knock off all the coolant fittings. I don't think the GE has the coolant lines in it so no bypass should be necessary.

thanks again!
yeah those have IACV capability on the bottom with a mustang IACV or something its not compatible with the stock ecu so the gte setup is the cleaner choice and the block off on the throttle body. then no rewiring needed just peel back the wires for the IACV from the ge harness it will reach for a FFIM.

Originally Posted by SCereal
Hmm apparently the 96 and 97 IACV is different on the GE than the earlier setups. Wonder if it'd work. Flange and pinout supposed to be the same and it only has the one barb for air and no coolant fittings to fuss with. Going to have to check that out I think.

Here's the bottom of a 96/97 unit

That one barb for air is not for the filter, that is on 96 and 97 motors as an air vacuum line that runs to the fuel rail area for better fuel spray which is a toyota overdesigned system really to help with emissions. It gets its air from a passage internal to the throttle body, and exits into the intake in another passage internal to the throttle body.
The gte one looks like that, but then that is bolted to another part that has the air passages that the IACV rod goes into. the throttle body has the air passages on the GE, on the GTE there is a whole another thing bolted to that the has the air filter on it. If you tried to bolt that to your intake, where would the air filter go?? it cant go on the line that is supossed to run to the fuel rail because thats an out line not an in line.
At one point dave h or someone did make a totally custom CNC milled adapter piece for using the GE IACV's, but its a custom billet piece that is no longer available so gte iacv is the easiest grab one from a mk3 7mgte, it will plug in and work just fine and usually costs under $40. 2jzgte ones are insanely priced but they are newer so choices are out there, both have same connector and same flange, and you also need the one way check valve that sits between the intake and the IACV base and it looks like a round washer with slits in it.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-13-14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 03:07 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

re-read and misunderstood first time around. GTE is the way to go.

Last edited by SCereal; 02-13-14 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 03:35 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah 7mgte is the best deal, the ls400 might be easier to find but you may have to get the check valve seperate, I haven't seen an ls400 one in person so I don't know if they have them normally on the intake, but with toyota you never know they tend to overbuild so it could be.
Old 02-13-14, 03:51 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

I see what you mean about the check valve. Found a post on SF about it. It looks like my flange has the proper rim to hold it (its a virtual works intake, it freakin better) that might be the ticket. Part Numbers are:

25748-88400 valve, check
90210-25001 washer, grommet
22278-46010 gasket, iac

pricing about $20 total.
Old 02-13-14, 04:34 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

and I found a 2JZ GTE IACV in good shape on ebay for $100. I'll pay the premium to know it's the absolute correct part.
Old 02-14-14, 11:53 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

nice work on the part numbers, yeah those will work with the 7mgte or 2jzgte IACV and both bolt to the same flange pattern so you can use either one, and possibly even the LS one with those parts.