Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I know I know but has any one found the fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 10:48 PM
moneysc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know I know but has any one found the fix?

Ok I've read tons of threads and got way to many diff possible fixes I was wondering if you have had this prob around 2000 rpm it studers and loses power but regains and not all the time some days runs without a hitch also a few times at a stop light car in park Rpms drop then go back up several times put in nutral and stops any clue what's going on here and the fix. Thanks

I put on new caps rotors plugs wires so it would run funny all the time if it was one of those right?
Old 02-26-14, 06:42 AM
kmartinez1
Driver

I would make sure your cat is not getting clogged. I have an 02 grand am gt that did the same thing and I found out that my cat was clogged. The easiest way to check your cat is drive it for a little, lift it up and read the temp before and after. If there is a big difference in temp then its clogged
Old 02-26-14, 07:11 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

If it's indeed your cat, then its not your only issue. Raw fuel burning up the cats mean something else is wrong...like the ECU that just "needs replacing". My SC was running almost fine but I decided to send it to a guy in GA that rebuilds them for a dealership so he knows his stuff. I asked him what he thought and he said that he was surprised that the SC was even running because the ECU was in such bad shape and that it would perform a lot better.
Old 02-26-14, 03:06 PM
Hatchy400
Driver School Candidate

It's most likely your MAF. If you can get it to act up in your driveway unplug the MAF, if it doesn't change anything or starts to idle properly thats your problem. If it dies or gets worse it's something else.
Is your car OBD1 or 2?
Old 02-26-14, 08:52 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatchy400
It's most likely your MAF. If you can get it to act up in your driveway unplug the MAF, if it doesn't change anything or starts to idle properly thats your problem. If it dies or gets worse it's something else.
Is your car OBD1 or 2?
Aye, but notice my thread. It's not necessarily the MAF, even when it is the MAF.

At least, not in my case
Old 02-27-14, 09:10 AM
Hatchy400
Driver School Candidate

Just Because A Car At One Point Had An Issue Doesn't Mean It's The Same For Every Other Car. I Notice This On A Lot Of Forums, People Just Throw Out The "Something Like This Happened To Me And This Is What Fixed It On My Car So You Should Do This Too" If You Take The Time To Diagnose The Issue Or Talk To Someone Who Can Help Lead You To The Issue. It's Cheaper Then Throwing Parts @ Something Till It's Fixed.
Old 03-03-14, 09:14 AM
moneysc400
Driver School Candidate

Ok so replaced passenger side ignition coil and runs better but still has some lag and light pulsating when lightly on gas at highway speeds. Gonna try sea foam through vac lines. So here's my question I can afford one or the other keep throwing money at ghost or replace ecu? Let me know what you think. Thanks to all for all and any info you have gave. Oh and checked for arching in the dark and noticed I could see spark running through the wires is this normal?
Old 03-03-14, 12:00 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take the ecu out, and check for blown caps.
Google "bad capacitor" for images.
simple-ish, and free. If you spot bad caps, get the ecu rebuilt or replaced.
Old 03-03-14, 01:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by moneysc400
Ok so replaced passenger side ignition coil and runs better but still has some lag and light pulsating when lightly on gas at highway speeds. Gonna try sea foam through vac lines. So here's my question I can afford one or the other keep throwing money at ghost or replace ecu? Let me know what you think. Thanks to all for all and any info you have gave. Oh and checked for arching in the dark and noticed I could see spark running through the wires is this normal?
I don't think seeing the spark run through the wires is normal unless you have like clear wires or something.
Old 03-03-14, 03:09 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a good time for a nice tune up. Plugs, wires, caps, and rotors. It'll give you a good baseline for maintenance.
Old 03-03-14, 05:46 PM
1UZStoked
Driver School Candidate

@SC400slide im a GA local & have been looking for someone to fix up my ECU,can you tell me who he is & where he's located?
Old 03-03-14, 07:25 PM
moneysc400
Driver School Candidate

I just did plugs wires cap rotor less than 1000 miles ago. roadrunner66@comcast.net that's the ga boy who does ecu he's a nice guy fair in price
Old 03-03-14, 08:22 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UZStoked
@SC400slide im a GA local & have been looking for someone to fix up my ECU,can you tell me who he is & where he's located?
He's in Cumming, GA. I don't know exactly where he lives, though I do know that he is Lexus certified and rebuilds ECU's for the dealerships. He is on eBay.
Old 03-03-14, 08:24 PM
1UZStoked
Driver School Candidate

Awesome,gonna try to track him down haha,wish me luck!
Old 03-03-14, 08:56 PM
moneysc400
Driver School Candidate

Easy to get ahold of him he replys to email fast I'm talking he got back to me in like 20 min. On another note I decided to take all the covers off so I can check out the light show under my hood and was running my finger along the wires and got the **** shocked out of me and found one wire with a slice unit and passenger ign coil wire arching so I had my old wires still and switched them out no more light show thanks guys for all the info.

Quick Reply: I know I know but has any one found the fix?