Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Is this a possible location for oil return

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-14, 09:05 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a possible location for oil return

As ive been doing more and more research into doing na-t, I have been looking at the oil return.
Now, im a lazy person (that's what engineers are afterall) and if I don't have to I don't want to drill the oil pan since there is a risk of shavings and all that and I would prefer not to have to pull the motor. (my friends aren't into cars, so I would have to do it solo so that isn't really feasible)

what about utilizing the oil level sensor location.
the sensor would be removed and you just have the drain go there? I mean, checking your oil isn't hard at all... so there is no need for the sensor.

Is this a good idea? Has it been done before?
Any insight perhaps? Thanks
Old 04-28-14, 09:54 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not positive but isn't that on the intake side? The idea behind the turbo return line is for it to be as free flowing as possible and I don't think having it wrap around to the other side of the block would be conducive to that.

My plan is to drill and tap the upper pan for a 1/2"npt to -10 adapter. I've read you can loosen one of both of the motor mounts and jack the motor up a little to be able to remove the lower pan. then you can drill the upper without fear of leaving shavings. I plan to use the grease and drill method as well to try to cut down on the clean up and to see if that method really works.
Old 04-28-14, 10:08 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

yes it is on the intake side. right next to the dipstick.
Old 04-28-14, 11:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that is not going to drain very well and you will have to work your way over the transmission somehow or over the front of the motor and around. the drain only drains via gravity so thats pretty much not going to work. people have tried all sorts of weird things but the best thing to do is just to drill and tap for a flange. I did mine on the car, just use lots of grease and if you actually go slowly and keep cleaning the bit every few seconds and regrease you will catch most of the shavings in the grease, and whatever little shavings are left on the ridge there under the hole you just drilled out you just flush out with a bunch of the cheapest jug of motor oil you can get and a hose, and leave the drain plug off and something to catch the oil underneath, I did not have much shavings come out at all, but your experience may vary.
If you do it that way take you time and clean the bit/regrease as often as possible. It seems tedious but its much quicker still than all the other methods.

removing the pan is the best option but the lazy choice is to drill it on the car, I wouldn't consider the oil level sensor to be an option even for us lazy people.
Old 04-28-14, 01:11 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSXMike
Speak for yourself when you say engineers are lazy.

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Pull the pan and have a -10 male flared fitting welded on.
engineers are lazy. we try to figure out the easiest way to get something done.

and ali, that's what I figured. it was only a thought that I had. since it already is a predrilled hole. figured gravity drain wouldn't work well over long distances
Old 04-28-14, 02:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I couldn't at the time pull the pan I did not have a lift or the ability to do it the full way, but to this day I have had no issues with my return or my turbo or any of that stuff. there were barely any shavings in the oil I flushed out if you take your time its pretty easy to clean out, and there is a drain at the bottom.
I can show many examples of people saying not to do it and just pull the motor but I can't show you an example of one where something actually got damaged from doing it that way.
Take it for what its worth but I have done several that way without any issues.

yeah there was a lot of ideas floating around on a really old club-na-t thread back in the day, some company even tried to release some sort of way to hook up the return to the oil dipstick or something crazy like that. I can say that none of those ever panned out or were impletemented, and the test ones were not really shown which means they probably didn't work very well. And you wouldn't have to technically remove the entire pan, if you can drop it down enough you could slide something in to catch the shavings.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-28-14 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-29-14, 05:07 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

hmmmmmm
good info ali. however I wasn't around during the clubna-t times so I have no idea what thread you are talking about haha

but more than likely im just going to drill the pan with it still in the car. just an idea I had and wanted to know the feasibility of it. and it looks like its not feasible.

when drilling, ive seen it done with a hole saw and a unibit. which way produces less shavings?
Old 04-29-14, 09:18 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

whatever you are more comfortable with honestly, I didn't want the holesaw to let that big circle drop in cause you cannot flush that out of the pan at all, so I went with the step bit on a right angle drill attachment, and went excruciatingly slow with the drilling for a second, then wipe off, then dip whole bit in grease... drill for a sec, then wipe off, then dip whole bit in grease...

If you can take the pan off and weld that is the best way, but I don't like to pull the motor for small stuff.
Old 04-30-14, 09:06 AM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
If you can take the pan off and weld that is the best way, but I don't like to pull the motor for small stuff.
i did not know you had to pull the engine to get the pan off. There isnt any way so sneak it out without pulling the engine.. i have access to a lift at a shop so just wondering..
Old 04-30-14, 10:22 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

There is but you have to do several things like raise the motor up, do something with the crossmember... I couldn't tell you exactly I didn't do it that way but yeah there is a way but I am not sure its less complicated than pulling the motor for those who can do it.
Old 04-30-14, 10:23 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Have it welded is the best option....

But if you want to do if with the engine still in the car you could drill out a hole with a step drill bit and tap some threads and bolt the it onto the pan....
Old 04-30-14, 12:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Have it welded is the best option....

But if you want to do if with the engine still in the car you could drill out a hole with a step drill bit and tap some threads and bolt the it onto the pan....
Most positively the best way to go if you have the pan off the car.
Old 04-30-14, 12:16 PM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

yes. welding would be the best, but I have no intention of pulling the motor until I blow it.
gonna drill it, tap it, and see where that goes!
im not over concerned with an oil leak. all the cars I have ever owned have had oil leaks
Old 04-30-14, 07:04 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Even if you have it welded you still have the drill the hole. But Ali's suggestion of using grease while drilling it probably the best option. Its what I did and I didn't have a problem. Also you shouldn't hve to tap any holes to bolt on a fitting. My motor already had them.