Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

When replacing Rack & Pinion and P.S. pump, can you somehow damage the clock spring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 04:14 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question When replacing Rack & Pinion and P.S. pump, can you somehow damage the clock spring?

Hi,
I had a shop replace my rack and pinion and power steering pump (and UCA/LCA) yesterday.
When I got it back, my airbag light was on and my horn did not work (they were fine before).

Is there any possible scenario where the clock spring could be damaged while changing the rack and power steering pump?

Is it just a bad, untimely coincidence or could they have broken it? If so, how?
If I bring it up, I want to be able to present a reasonable case for it being their fault or I will just let it go and pay for it myself.

SG

EDIT: I JUST REMEMBERED, THEY ALSO REPLACED MY LOWER STEERING SHAFT.

Does this add anything useful to the diagnosis?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-02-14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-02-14, 06:11 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to PM you on FB about this. I think they did something stupid and removed your airbag for some reason. Did they inspect your steering column or something? I remember another thread a few days ago where you discussed some shop checking out your steering column.

I have some suggestions for you. I bet someone lazy didn't hook your airbag or horn up after removing the airbag.
Old 05-02-14, 06:31 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine needing to remove the bag or wheel to swap the rack so it was a mystery to me. Be curious to know the outcome.
Old 05-02-14, 07:16 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I'm going to PM you on FB about this. I think they did something stupid and removed your airbag for some reason. Did they inspect your steering column or something? I remember another thread a few days ago where you discussed some shop checking out your steering column.

I have some suggestions for you. I bet someone lazy didn't hook your airbag or horn up after removing the airbag.
Originally Posted by SCereal
I can't imagine needing to remove the bag or wheel to swap the rack so it was a mystery to me. Be curious to know the outcome.
Oh, I just remembered, they also replaced my lower steering shaft. It was making crazy noises. I got a good one from Gazi and they put it in for me. Does that change anything?

Thanks Guys!
Old 05-02-14, 07:38 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

sounds like they broke your clock spring. if your horn isnt working.
Old 05-02-14, 11:53 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup. They damaged the clock spring. I was wondering is a shop fixing your car? You sure do post a lot about the stuff the fix

Last edited by AnonymousG; 05-03-14 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-04-14, 04:36 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your airbag light was not on before, why would you even accept the car with it on? Also, if you do go back, make sure when you leave that at key on engine off the airbag light illuminates so you know they fixed the problem and didn't just pull the bulb
Old 05-04-14, 09:30 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vrank
If your airbag light was not on before, why would you even accept the car with it on? Also, if you do go back, make sure when you leave that at key on engine off the airbag light illuminates so you know they fixed the problem and didn't just pull the bulb
Vrank,
I did not notice it until i was a few miles away and the mechanic left when I left as it was late in the day. I did not want to go back in there without a proper case or argument so I called and let them know the issue and I came here for a bit of education to support my case first. Someone told me they must take the steering wheel off to align the wheel when changing the rack and at least that puts them in the area of the "broken" part.
Don't worry, I'm going to get them. I just didn't know enough before I gathered information first.
Any other info on what mistake they could have made to cause this would be greatly appreciated.
I will surely make sure they don't pull the bulb but that won't help with the horn ;-)

Thanks V