Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-03, 04:44 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam

Has anyone tried using Seafoam in their engines on the SC?
It's an excellent product that really does work. I haven't used it on an SC but have on many other cars.

The way you do it is treat your gas with 1 can.
Treat your engine (oil) with 1 can.
Disconnect your brake booster vacum and treat your fuel rail and valves.

Caution.If you have a heavy carbon build up you might have to replace you Ox.Sensor and Plugs after treating the vacum.

After you let thew vacum suck about a 1/4 can through you kill the car and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. When you restart the car you will see black smoke from your tailpipes. Run the car untill the smoke clears up.If it takes 15 minutes then repeat the process again. If you don't have a large amount of carbon build up you won't have to replace the Ox.sensor or plugs.

After adding the seasfoam to your oil let it run or drive it for a day or so.Then change your oil.

When adding to the gas just drive as normal.I usually add 1 can to about 10 gls.of gas.

After you do this treatment your engine should have more pep,better idle and less fuel consumption. I do this to all my vehicles and it works. It really cleans the engine.The more miles you have on the engine the carbon build up you will have. If you have less than 50k on your car you prob. don't need to do it yet.

Let me know if anyone has tried this before and how it worked for you.

RT
Old 02-23-03, 08:29 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Yep, I use it straight into the TB, then also soak each cylinder overnight, change oil, and start. Then change plugs after running till smoke clears. The pistons, etc are definately clean after that process.
Old 02-24-03, 05:16 PM
RTLEXSC
Rookie

I haven't tried it on my SC but I will be doing a complete tune up soon and before I do,it will be treated with the seafoam. The stuff actually works unlike so many other products that claim to work.

RT
Old 02-26-03, 08:52 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep,that stuff works,I just use it in the tank once in awhile.
You definately want to be sure and use that tank of gas,and run it down to near-empty,as the stuff can soften the parts in the fuel system if you leave it in for more than a few days.
Old 02-27-03, 06:37 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried it in our LS400 as you mentioned, just let a vacuum line near the throttle body suck it up until the engine chokes, then restart and run til it clears. It seemed to help a little, but the problem I was having wasn't carbon related. If you somehow induce it before the throttle body, it would do a great job of cleaning the gunk off of that part. Its pretty nasty stuff though, will definitely eat paint and plastics if you're not careful. Our local NAPA had the Seafoam if anyone is looking around.
Old 02-27-03, 08:21 AM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

Mopar combustion chamber cleaner is basically the same stuff, but in spray form.. Costs ~$7 a can at the Dodge dealer. This is actually what I used, and the pistons cleaned up like new (100k+mi).
Old 05-18-04, 09:37 AM
babehboi
Driver School Candidate

Yea I Seafoamed the car like 2 days ago. And it works great! Went through the PCV tube and the oil....my car was smoking along with like 4 other cars I was working with. Car feels soo much smoother and responsive thereafter. I have pictures if you guys are interested.
Old 05-18-04, 06:54 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

im interested in this Seafoam product, post up some pics
Old 05-19-04, 05:37 AM
bishop977
Driver

yeah i'm interested in seafoam. i read mostly good things things about it. expect for one guy on the honda tech forum who used it. and caused more trouble. cuz it removed all dirt and the dirt was holding it together. it wasn't seafoam fault. it did it job cleaned it. is it a good idea to use it on a old car with 100k mile. ne one tried it in the SC yet? i'm dinking about using one in the gas tank to clean out the injector. instead of using techron. i'm kinda scared to use it to clean the engine.... ne write up,how to do it or review for the sc?

Last edited by bishop977; 05-19-04 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-19-04, 08:51 PM
babehboi
Driver School Candidate

Yea I have used SeaFoam on my SC400 1993 with 129 K miles on it. I'll upload some pictures in a bit after i get them transferred to my computer. Keep in mind these pictures were taken like a few days ago.....
Old 05-19-04, 08:54 PM
babehboi
Driver School Candidate

So far, I think the seafoam did a great job, I'm thinking about adding some more just in case to the vacuum pump, besides that...my engine seems to run much smoother, i only added it to the Vacuum and the oil chamber, bsides that for gas, i just used a regular chevron fuel injector cleaner just because I had it lying around. I put seafoam into an old *** 1982 Toyota Corolla (1/3 oil, 1/3 pump, 1/3 gas) and it did wonders...the car seems to idle quieter and smoother. And other cars I did that day is a Maxima, Lexus ES300, 1984 Toyota Cressida, and that's just about it. Waiting to try the Tranny one for SeaFoam....the pictures will be posted on the subsequent posts.
Old 05-19-04, 09:00 PM
babehboi
Driver School Candidate

If you have any questions about anything,I could always take picture of my car and show you where to add things as well.....

Okay here's the first picture, its the car on idle. WArning, I didn't resize them, i just kept them the way they were just reduced the quality...

<a href="http://photos.yahoo.com/williethepooh@sbcglobal.net> SC400 with SeaFoam</a>
Old 05-19-04, 09:01 PM
babehboi
Driver School Candidate

Dang it, here's a clickable link.

Click here for SC400 with SeaFoam
Old 05-19-04, 09:22 PM
makenzie70
Rookie

I've used this stuff but I'm not a fan of using it on engines with obvious carbon build-up. On engines that have serious carbon build up (the RX7 and Turbo Supras come to mind) I like to water-treat the engine first. You do this by disconnecting a vac line from one of the components (preferably sourced from the throttle body) and run the line into a cup of water (8oz). Let the car run until the water is gone, rev the engine a little bit, then repeat twice. This will steam off the carbon from your combustion chamber. Works very well. Then use the Seafoam.

As for the O2 sensor...you don't need the O2 sensor to run. Remove it, leave it plugged in just in case, and put a bolt in the sensor bung (if you don't you'll make a mess).
Old 05-20-04, 02:08 AM
bishop977
Driver

Originally posted by babehboi
If you have any questions about anything,I could always take picture of my car and show you where to add things as well.....

Okay here's the first picture, its the car on idle. WArning, I didn't resize them, i just kept them the way they were just reduced the quality...

<a href="http://photos.yahoo.com/williethepooh@sbcglobal.net> SC400 with SeaFoam</a>
how long was your car smoking? i read that some cars smoke up to 40min... depending how dirty it was.
could you post a pic of which hose you use to vaccum in the stuff. i read on the max forum they use the brake booster hose. does the SC have one?

Last edited by bishop977; 05-20-04 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Seafoam