Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

95 Sc300 radiator bubbling issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-14 | 09:54 AM
Preppy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Cold start the car, see if there is any bubbling with the radiator cap off. There is no heat or pressure during a cold start / idle so it won't hurt anything. If there is no milk shaked oil and there is no bubbling at idle / mysteriously missing coolant then you can rule out the blown head gasket.

Try flushing the radiator out separately, remove it from the car and put a strong cleaner / gas and shake it out upside down. These cars are 20 years old there is no telling what a previous owner has put in there. Mine had alot of sediment come out that would not come out while flushing it on the car. I wouldn't even use the silly drain plug to drain it / flush it. I drained all the coolant and once that was done I removed the lower radiator hose into a bucket and attached a hose to the car and let it go for awhile. I removed the thermostat prior to allow for it to flow.

After my head gasket blew and the oil mixed with the coolant I wanted to make sure it was cleaned thoroughly. You should use distilled water anytime when adding water to the system but I didn't have 20 gallons of distilled water on hand. Definitely drain it as best as you can and then mix your toyota coolant with distilled water.

I would look at the cooling system components and start replacing them one by one.
Thermostat
Clutch fan
Radiator
Radiator cap
Water Pump
Thank You i will flush it again trying this method and the only thing left to replace is the water pump.
Old 09-06-14 | 11:57 PM
Preppy1
Driver School Candidate

Ok really weird flushed it with out the Thermostat and never put it back in. now the car stays alot cooler according to the temp gauge and it no longer bubbles when i shut it off??? My theory was to remove it and see if it helped? this is the 3rd thermostat i have bought and i boiled the thermo to make sure it worked and it does, WTH???
Old 11-13-14 | 04:42 PM
Twoforzero
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same issue. Without a thermostat I'm fine. With the thermostat I eventually steam out all my coolant. No heat with thermostat as well. I'm beginning to wonder if my radiator is clogged. It's weird tho because I would think the same problem would occur with or without my thermostat stat.

Should I just remove the thermostat and be done with it? Seattle area if it matters.
Old 11-22-14 | 05:14 PM
grumpi300
Lead Lap

same here. i have a new thermostat, hoses, new koyorad radiator, but every week or so i have to fill up the reservoir. every time i shut it off i hear bubbles going into the reservoir and steam coming out. any advice? i havent tried without a thermostat and wont, i know how bad not having a thermostat can be.
Old 11-23-14 | 07:58 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by grumpi300
same here. i have a new thermostat, hoses, new koyorad radiator, but every week or so i have to fill up the reservoir. every time i shut it off i hear bubbles going into the reservoir and steam coming out. any advice? i havent tried without a thermostat and wont, i know how bad not having a thermostat can be.
Not having a thermo isn't so bad. I didn't have one for about 2 and a half months about 2 years ago. Car just runs cool, if you do that for an excessive amount of time it can mess with some of your sensors and cause some damage to the ECU since the car will be idling higher and not running as efficiently since it no longer stays at operating temperature.

As far as what could be causing it, it's either HG, or radiator cap. If there's no fluid on the ground then the rad fluid is going somewhere and if it's not boiling off through the cap or burning up in the combustion chamber and smoking out the exhaust then it's on the ground somewhere. The fact that it only does it when the thermo is in the car makes me lean towards the Cap, but you won't know until you start replacing things.
Old 12-03-14 | 07:03 PM
Pilot300
Driver School Candidate

Oh man... so i have/had the same kinda problems. so i took out my thermostat out and just left it out.. but now my overflow tank wont stop.... overflowing. changed rad cap. worked for a day. now its over flowing again. recetlly changed radiator so im going to see about air in the system. but im kinda lost.. dont see why it would be almost constantly filling the over flow.