Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

BMW gearbox + 2jz ; anyone stateside done this yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 07:01 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That 330i would have the GS6-37bz 6-speed gearbox, which uses the flywheel mounted pilot bearing. I cannot confirm that this will work with the PMC kit. I think it will, but I have not personally tested it.
Old 12-09-15, 02:00 PM
tanakamike
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone setup this conversion yet????
Old 12-09-15, 02:15 PM
jkpgt96
Rookie

I will not do mine until the spring at the earliest even though I have all of the parts to do it..
Old 12-09-15, 03:47 PM
tanakamike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
I will not do mine until the spring at the earliest even though I have all of the parts to do it..
awesome, I would like to see the final results!!

What did the kit cost you? I don't see a price on there website just curious how much this mod will cost!
Old 12-10-15, 12:05 AM
Maximo018
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True as you have stated before about the pilot bushing on the end of the shaft. But it would be possible with the Collins kit. I see the adapter plate by PMC is around $300. The flywheel is $430. So it all ran you ballpark of $700? Still cheaper than Collins.
Old 12-10-15, 01:56 AM
saidien
Driver School Candidate

The GS6-37bz does use a pilot bearing that is mounted in the crankshaft/flywheel, so it should work.

WanganStyle actually posted a lot of good info on the GS6-53bz transmission variants a few pages back, but you can easily tell from the pictures of the transmissions on ebay which ones have the flywheel/crankshaft mounted pilot bearings..the PMC kit might not work with the flywheel mount pilot bearings actually..not sure how to check without having one to test.
I started this project relying heavily on WanganStyle's experience and knowledge about BMW drivelines! In one of his posts, he mentioned using a 2005-2008.5 gearbox (which is the gs6-53bz) off a N54 engine but using a flywheel off a 54 engine. Upon even more research of my own, I have discovered that the issue with the bearing being inside the input shaft isn't going to be a huge issue after all. The bearing inside the flywheel can be hammered out and replaced with an oem BMW available part (which is the "pokey thing" WanganStyle referred to. However, in consideration of the extra distance that the adapter plate will cause, I believe this "pokey thing" will be short but new one could easily be fabricated with a lathe.
I will keep yall updated as soon as I hear anything. In the meantime, I am gathering all the other components such as clutch pedal and assembly, etc.
Hopefully more of the guys with experience will chime in!
Old 12-10-15, 08:12 AM
tanakamike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Maximo018
True as you have stated before about the pilot bushing on the end of the shaft. But it would be possible with the Collins kit. I see the adapter plate by PMC is around $300. The flywheel is $430. So it all ran you ballpark of $700? Still cheaper than Collins.
WHAT!! that's not bad! I would like to see some pics of working set up..
Old 12-11-15, 01:59 PM
Konrad1jz
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys new here and from the UK, I've got a s13 with a 1jz and I recently blew my toyota gearbox up so have decided to go the bmw route. Torn between going with the new collins adapter or the PMC as it seems very good value and from pictures the build quality looks decent too.

Here is a picture of PMC kit everything mocked into place:Name:  FB_IMG_1449828635743_zpszxafvemn.jpg
Views: 5146
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 12-13-15, 09:50 AM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by saidien
I started this project relying heavily on WanganStyle's experience and knowledge about BMW drivelines! In one of his posts, he mentioned using a 2005-2008.5 gearbox (which is the gs6-53bz) off a N54 engine but using a flywheel off a 54 engine. Upon even more research of my own, I have discovered that the issue with the bearing being inside the input shaft isn't going to be a huge issue after all. The bearing inside the flywheel can be hammered out and replaced with an oem BMW available part (which is the "pokey thing" WanganStyle referred to. However, in consideration of the extra distance that the adapter plate will cause, I believe this "pokey thing" will be short but new one could easily be fabricated with a lathe.
I will keep yall updated as soon as I hear anything. In the meantime, I am gathering all the other components such as clutch pedal and assembly, etc.
here is a thread with the "pokey thing" and good photographs; credit somebody else who installed and documented an ACT clutch install:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271606

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 4488
Size:  80.0 KB

Some thoughts in regards to PMC adapter products (from local bay area install and use); the billet pieces seem to be made decently; the hardware seems to be low grade ~5-8.8 and not the highest quality; IF this was not a lemons car all the hardware would be replaced with higher quality stuff from a local supplier. hardware for bmw use is often 10.0 and in BMW motorsports application use 12.0 grade is common.

The PMC kit is interesting; locally we are running it in lemons use behind a 5400cc v12 + 5 speed zf 320 unit (1996-00 bmw 328i gearbox);
the redundant use of starter gear flywheel (auto flexplate) and the adapter + half of a bmw dual mass flywheel scares me; This may or may-NOT be the case with a JZ setup; I am not sure I trust the balance of these items.

a BMW standard off the shelf clutch for the ZF 5 speed was installed for shakedown; it lasted less than 4 laps attached to this m70m54. Terrible smell

I purchased a NHRA sanctioned SFi 4.1 rated explosion blanket to make sure nothing bad happening would cause human damage.

Last edited by wanganstyl; 12-13-15 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 01:24 PM
sebasc300
Driver

The ZF GS6-37BZ will not work with the PMC kit. If you wish to run the ZF 6-speed simply order the Collins kit.

Collins is offering 2 flywheels at the moment for ZF 5-speed and 6-speed.

I was hesitant on ordering the PMC kit because I don't like the stacked flywheel/auto flex plate setup.

I'm glad Collins now offers a true solution for mating the BMW transmission to the JZ.
Old 01-24-16, 08:09 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Originally Posted by saidien
Any update on this?
Old 01-25-16, 11:10 PM
saidien
Driver School Candidate

Any update on this?
Nothing substantial yet. Collins Performance Technologies has my transmission and are currently in the R&D phase. As soon as I hear something I will definitely post.
Old 01-26-16, 01:18 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

I've been checking back daily anticipating this.
Old 01-26-16, 01:19 PM
Maximo018
Pole Position

I'd rather this over the shifter issue of the CD009.
Old 01-29-16, 06:51 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

I am being told by a friend who is trying to fit his Sachs 765 pressure plate to the PMC flywheel that it does not appear to line up with the holes on the flywheel. I do not have this pressure plate yet to check for myself, but I am talking to PMC to work through this.

Quick Reply: BMW gearbox + 2jz ; anyone stateside done this yet?