Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering vacuum air control valve issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 03:07 PM
AC37
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering vacuum air control valve issue

Hello all, I own a 1995 Lexus SC400,and after just doing several hundred in repairs three weeks ago including a new power steering pump, alternator, and tires, it looks like something else is now having an issue...the car started groaning really bad a couple days ago especially when turning, and the repair shop is telling me it's the power steering vacuum air control valve. I'm being told that this in an urgent repair, and waiting stands to do long-term damage to the engine if I continue driving the car in the meantime; they say it's leaking power steering oil into the intake manifolds and thus burning oil, if I understood correctly. My insurance company is balking at covering these repairs, and I'm being quoted another couple hundred plus out of pocket in repairs. Pure and simple, coming up with that kind of money after just spending so much on this less than three weeks ago is challenging, to put it mildly. I could really use some recommendations; is this something that can wait, or is it truly as urgent as the shop is claiming? Also, is there potentially the opportunity to repair/patch the old part, and/or get a lower-cost replacement, like a pull from a salvage yard, or perhaps something like the part here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-LEXUS-POWER-STEERING-VACUUM-VALVE-USED-OEM-5-/291246702743?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43cfa80097&vxp=mtr
Thank you! Paul
Old 09-24-14, 03:55 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Welcome to CL, you came to the right place but got the wrong subsection.
going to move this to the performance/maintenance section.

it is sort of urgent on an sc400, they are right if you let a Power steering leak go for a long time on a sc400 it can get on the alternator then you have to replace that also, but generally when these fail it sucks the fluid into the intake making the car run bad but not ruining the alternator. what they are talking about is when the hose leaks but thats something else.

they are kind of right its urgent but for the wrong reason, you generally don't want to burn power steering fluid in your engine for a long amount of time.
power steering fluid should stay in the power steering system.

Don't worry though there there is a $5 fix out there for it!!!!

Basically you just remove that at the bottom you notice its threaded, and insert a metric plug in there of the same size and that bypasses this system which is known to fail. no more leaks, no more problems, just cap the 2 vacuum lines also.

I believe its a metric M14 plug. any mechanic should be able to fix that after reading what I wrote, otherwise they are terrible, I would not replace this part with another new one it will just cost alot and fail in another 100k miles.

Here is a write-up on it courtesy of one of our moderators. start at post 41-45 at the bottom of the page has pictures.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post2444278

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-24-14 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 05:23 PM
AC37
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buddy, you are a lifesaver. Thank you so much! I told the repair shop about the fix and they did just that, and at no charge...even including the replacement power steering fluid.

The power steering is still groaning loudly especially at low speeds, however...the shop said there may be air in the system, but that it may clear itself up if I just drive it a few days. We'll see...
Old 09-25-14, 07:50 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

That was the case when I had my rack & pinion replaced. As disconcerting as it sounded, the mechanic was right. The noise went away after a day or two of driving.
Old 09-26-14, 07:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah the fluid will settle over the next couple days, and the noise will quiet down a little bit but may not go away. then open the reservoir up (when the car is off unless you want to shoot the stuff everywhere) and top off the reservoir again in a few days. that should quite it down the rest of the way.

If it still makes some noise it could be the pump seals or air really stubbornly trapped in there, and what helps is lifting the front wheels and then turning it full left.. full right... and repeat as many times as you can to burp the last bit of air out. do not do it without the wheels in the air you wont bleed anything that way and it can hurt the rack, they already did the initial bleed thouh most likely so you just need to do the top off after a few days.
Old 10-06-19, 10:12 AM
wileywalt
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I plugged mine and capped off the lines. I have a noticeable whine when I turn my wheels now, does that settle itself out or should I investigate further?
Old 10-07-19, 08:52 AM
wileywalt
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TY for the info!