Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cat for turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 01:41 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
what I did on mine is take the midpipe and have a cat welded in there. that worked for several years until one station said, you are supossed to have 2 cats. so I welded another one on the midpipe and I have been good since.

I use the 3" universal magnaflow ones you can get online or on ebay even. The are like long ones short ones oval ones but I found just the generic 3" regular size fits well and is a better deal than the others.

Welding on a stock cat would be hilarious. no way I would ever do that on a na-t.
using a gte cat will still be a huge restriction, its the first thing gte owners take off and get a downpipe. stick an aftermarket highflow cat or 2 on the midpipe, I have passed with just 1 before but if the place is picky on visual throw 2 on there or remove the underhood sticker that they read to find out how many cats / o2 sensor you are supposed to have.
did they only check for the cats?
Old 12-29-14, 02:24 PM
DrBrown54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have a small mirror that they slide under the car to visually check . It's a 94 so being OBD1 they won't care as much. My bigger concern is the AEM EMS tune from the previous owner. I had a hard time passing eCheck a few years back when I ran megasquirt on another turbo'd NA car. It was running just a tad rich and that's all it took to screw the CO2 and NOX levels.

I understand why the states try to do this though. Years back my parents had a 66 Chevelle without converters. They were letting it idle in the garage below the house and within 5 minutes all the carbon monoxide detectors were going off, which meant it was not safe to breath basically. So converters are good for the air in the long run, just not on turbocharged cars heh. We need a double standard!
Old 12-29-14, 02:32 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBrown54
They have a small mirror that they slide under the car to visually check . It's a 94 so being OBD1 they won't care as much. My bigger concern is the AEM EMS tune from the previous owner. I had a hard time passing eCheck a few years back when I ran megasquirt on another turbo'd NA car. It was running just a tad rich and that's all it took to screw the CO2 and NOX levels.

I understand why the states try to do this though. Years back my parents had a 66 Chevelle without converters. They were letting it idle in the garage below the house and within 5 minutes all the carbon monoxide detectors were going off, which meant it was not safe to breath basically. So converters are good for the air in the long run, just not on turbocharged cars heh. We need a double standard!
Emissions is a outdated 80s trick to get more money in the state, its 2015, almost 99% of the cars are up to code for cleaner air from factory. its all a scam now, as soon as I can im going to a none emissions state.