Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I think I killed the car! (Cameron to Beuhler)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-15, 03:31 PM
BigOSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I killed the car! (Cameron to Beuhler)

I think I killed my car. I have a 92 Lexus SC400. Was running like a champ with 102k miles. Tremendous power and compression leading up to when white smoke started coming from the exhaust, so I think/thought it is/was a head gasket leak. I want/wanted to use the leak stopper you mentioned, but here's my question: Now, it appears I have lost total and complete compression on many of cylinders (I think I'm running on 3 or 4)... so, I think any leak stopper would no longer seal any leak (even now, after driving maybe 200 miles after the white smoke first appeared)? I have brand new spark plugs, wires, rotors, distributor caps, water pump, radiator, temp sensor on radiator, motor mounts, transmission mount, timing belt, serpentine belt, tensioner pully (though it was moving up and down quite a bit when I did have lots of power but not now), no leaks in radiator whatsoever, strong fan from radiator, never ever had a problem with the check-engine light. I do have continuous white smoke, now, all the time. The catalytic converter may now be clogged since I now have a smelly white smoke (not just vapor)... AND the upper hose on the radiator just keeps collapsing once I run the car a while. Oh, my temp gauge goes through the roof after about 1 minute after turning the car on. My temperature coolant is a goopy ping (from the Toyota Type red needed). My tachometer started to just bounce. BTW, I just bought a thermostat and thermostat housing, too, ready to put that in AND 2 coils. What do you think? Did I kill the car? Time for a new engine? Should I machine the head? It would cost $350/head (that's a lot of money versus a $500 used engine warranted for 30 days). Thank you for your advice.
Old 01-05-15, 04:06 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

I feel your pain bro. Gotta be a nightmare. But with low miles and previously running great, somebody will get her back right! Don't worry fellow Sc lover. Help is on the way!

*waits for the experts
Old 01-05-15, 04:32 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go buy an engine for a couple hundred bucks from a pick n pull yard.

The car blowing white smoke wouldn't magically happen. How were you driving, what was the temp gauge doing?
Old 01-05-15, 08:27 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a head gasket for sure, if your oil has anti-freeze in it, anti-freeze takes the babbit off the rod & main bearings quickly if your driving it. so your best bet may be a new engine now, or complete rebuild of yours. Lot of LS400's in the junk yards also. Good Luck!
Old 01-06-15, 06:55 AM
BigOSC400
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, all!
I have come to the following conclusion:
I think I have a fuel leak into the cylinders and not a complete head-gasket leak. In other words, before I replaced the spark plugs, the white smoke was sporadic and tiny (the beginning signs of the head gasket going). I have zero leaks under my car, except for the typical, usual power steering pump (which, yes, might be a problem due to the vacuum loss, but that leak is tiny AND I just got the little valve replaced, so the only leak I have is actually the seal on the power steering, which is another issue, no worries). But, after my "tune-up", THAT's when the car started to run rough and smell badly (before, she was running like a dream, and I drove her hard 100 mph recently, and the little white smoke was not smelly at all, so it was probably the water vapor). Therefore, today, with the Lord's help, I will go back and check the gaps in my plugs, check the wiring in my new wires, install the coils I bought, purchase a $7 coolant reservoir cap and start the car again. If that makes the car run better, great! It would only cost me my time. If not, then I'll either tackle the head gasket "repair" with the Liquid Steel. If that didn't work, no problem (doesn't cost all that much), THEN I'll simply get a new engine (found one for $500 with 155k near here (not optimum mileage) and one $875 with 78k mileage (better, but in California, and I live in Atlanta, and they want my core, and I'd need to ship my core back to them). So, fingers crossed with today's steps. Thanks again, and God bless! I will post results afterwards in order to possibly help someone else.
Old 01-06-15, 10:36 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

155k for the 1UZFE isn't really bad if the engine is in good shape. Tough to break that engine as long as it is well maintained. I sold an SC400 some time back and it had 384k miles. The buyer is still using it at 520k miles last time I spoke to him.

The one in CA after all the shipping costs of what you are buying and your core , it will set you back at least $1350. For that price there are running SC400 in our local GA craigs. Check it out.
Old 01-06-15, 07:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

alot of the times when its feeling like its running on 4 cylinders is when it looses a coilpack, there are 2 and they go bad pretty often on these motors. wouldn't explain the temp issues though you might have somehow blown the headgasket a compression test will tell you.
Old 01-06-15, 08:24 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I highly doubt you have a blown gasket.did you replace the distributor correctly put the timing TDC before replacing? check your timing. replace coilpacks and see if someone will let you try their ECU.also plug your power steering vacuum hoses the smoke may not be related to the performance
Old 01-07-15, 01:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

that is true it could be the power steering idle switch has broken and is sucking in ps fluid into the intake. not as common as the coilpack failing but it is still common. sc400's have fixed distributors there is no timing adjustment.
Old 01-09-15, 07:43 AM
BigOSC400
Driver School Candidate

Guys,
Ok, I've been busy at work but have had time to do a couple of things, and we're right on track! The temperature sensor at the top of the motor (just under the top coil) was corroded. As I unscrewed it to replace it with my new one, it literally just crumbled. So, that should explain the temperature issues (remember I have a brand new radiator and temp gauge for the radiator). I have just taken both coils off and am about to replace those. One of them actually smelled burnt (the lower one). ;(
Two wires from the driver's side distributor were not entirely "whole"/crack in one and exposed in another (too bad because they were brand new in a kit), so I replaced 1 of them with one old wire and for the hairline crack on the other, I covered it tightly with electrical tape.
Yes, I did replace the distributors and caps.
Yes, I did the power steering valve (brand new), so I doubt it's already broken.
I will disconnect the ECU cable and reconnect later.
I have not heard about the other recent suggestion (timing TDC). Would someone tell me what timing TDC is?
I hope to have time this weekend to finish up, and I'll post results. Thanks again for your guidance and support. MUCH appreciated!!
Old 01-09-15, 07:50 AM
BigOSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gerrb
155k for the 1UZFE isn't really bad if the engine is in good shape. Tough to break that engine as long as it is well maintained. I sold an SC400 some time back and it had 384k miles. The buyer is still using it at 520k miles last time I spoke to him.

The one in CA after all the shipping costs of what you are buying and your core , it will set you back at least $1350. For that price there are running SC400 in our local GA craigs. Check it out.
Great info, thank you so much! Good to know!
Old 01-09-15, 07:59 AM
BigOSC400
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I also did check the gaps in my new spark plugs I had put in, and they are perfect (.04). They were not .044. And when I checked them, just a couple of them smelled of pure gasoline. So, I think that's where the unburnt fuel was going, thus the smell in the exhaust and not firing properly due to the coils. I may not have mentioned before, but after I did the recent tune-up, all cylinders fired. It was just shortly afterwards that I lost compression, so, again, hopefully it was just the coils AND the temperature sensor at the top.
BTW, now that I understand how important coils are, I am checking the coils in my 01 Ford Focus SE Wagon (5-speed) Zetec which runs like a champ (145k miles, original owner) but wants to stall on me randomly on the road if it's in neutral, especially when it's cold (brand new battery, not a new alternator, though, never replaced coils, idle-position sensor should still be fine). Anyway, I'll tackle that car next week.
Old 01-09-15, 08:14 AM
BigOSC400
Driver School Candidate

Just googled Timing TDC, so I will work on that if what I've done so far doesn't work. At this point, my current #1 goal this weekend is starting the car and getting 8 cylinder power. After that, I can tackle timing, exhaust, catalytic converters, O2 sensore (I probably destroyed my exhaust already) and anything this car can throw at me. For the record, I still like the car. I hope and pray it will work!
Old 01-09-15, 07:50 PM
BigOSC400
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so far so good. I started her up, and after a few minutes, no smoke! None! So, I think that means I finally burnt up all the gas from the combustion chambers. I have no check engine light, but my temperature gauge still shot up... ;(
It also still ran rough, probably because I forgot to reset the ECU. I'll do that tomorrow morning. For now, I'm pleased with the coils, wires, distributors, plugs. I will take the car to my mechanic tomorrow to see what he says if I'm not able to get her to purrrr. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your time and your tips. Keep 'em coming!
Old 01-09-15, 10:46 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If it still runs bad try to see if someone will let you try their ECU.

Quick Reply: I think I killed the car! (Cameron to Beuhler)