Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 w58 swap completed with stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 10:39 AM
chowda
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 w58 swap completed with stalling

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posts since most issues can usually be solved with searching. However, this is a little different.

I have just finished up my manual swap in my 92 sc400 using an sc300 w58.

Got everything to work mechanically and the car drives well but I have a few issues I think are related.

1. Car stalls when coming to a stop while on the brakes in neutral
It idles just fine and starts up no problem after stalling and it only does this when the car is warmed up as well and it will stall just before I stop so I usually still have a bit of momentum to pull over.

2. The speedo is not working even though the connector is plugged in. (with the sc300 w58, it's just a 3 pin plug to the vss right?).

3. Car feels like it should have more power than it currently does (This is more of just a feeling than a fact though. It is a bit jumpy when I shift to 3rd in low rpm driving.).

I have already jumped neutral safety switch and wired up reverse and so the car starts.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the drive modes L gear or D or vacuum?

Hopefully someone can chime in as I haven't found anything from searching on CL. I have found a few things on 1uz swap forums that seem close but nothing that solidly states the issue. One said it was a egr issue and another said it was lack of speedo.

But I'm at a total loss here so if anyone can help, that would be great.

Thanks,

Marvin
Old 01-11-15, 11:38 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Are your wires from your auto trans still hooked up with solinoids on them?
That's the only way to it, the solinoids have to be hooked up and tucked out if the way.
That's what I read from forums and it makes sence
Old 01-11-15, 12:08 PM
chowda
Driver School Candidate

Default Stalling issue.

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Are your wires from your auto trans still hooked up with solinoids on them?
That's the only way to it, the solinoids have to be hooked up and tucked out if the way.
That's what I read from forums and it makes sence
Hi Lexxium,

Thanks for the reply.
I know about the solenoids, but that's for OBDII cars. OBDI according to threads I've read is defeating the neutral safety switch which I already did.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the flywheel I got from 1uzfeswapkit.

I've been reading stuff about lightweight flywheels causing a similar problem so I'm hoping that's not the case.

Thanks
Old 01-11-15, 03:30 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Oh, you have a light fw? I don't know if fw will make a difference or not. Make sure tranny is grounded to chassis, I also read somewhere that if you wire your tranny to stay In L the the tranny ecu will not be looking for the gear change, did you wire it up to make it stay in drive? Also someone has it wired to where when you pull the e brake up the ecu thinks it's in Park, e brake down eve thinks it's in L,
I don't know if that relates to the issues you're having, but it's good to know since I'm taking pretty much a same route. Right now I'm working on mechanical part of it but in the same boat as you scared about the electronics
Old 01-18-15, 12:46 PM
chowda
Driver School Candidate

Default Stalling Issue Solved

Hi There,

For those of you who have this issue......

FIGURED IT OUT AND THIS IS HOW YOU SOLVE THE STALLING ISSUE:

First, jumping NSS only worked for starting the car (if you leave it jumpered, it will read park to ecu). The car however, would randomly die when I came to a stop in neutral. This was due to the fact that the car thought it was in park when the NSS is jumped.

You fix this issue by lengthening the park/neutral wires to the clutch start switch. When this happens park will only be engaged when you step on the clutch to shift gears. All other times, it will read DRIVE to the ECU.

The ECU was not able to compensate for TPS signal when it was in park and the REVs would stay high after I put in the clutch before then just drop to 0.

I'm thinking that I may still stall out on emergency stops, but this has yet to be determined.
Under normal driving conditions, there are no issues with this setup and for anybody with this issue....THIS IS HOW YOU FIX IT.

Thanks,

Marvin
Old 01-18-15, 05:34 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Thanks Melvin!! I may be able to use this useful info in my vvti mkiv w58 swap if nothing helps, since I got my adapter plate today I'm another big part closer to the swap
Attached Thumbnails SC400 w58 swap completed with stalling-image.jpg  
Old 01-18-15, 10:46 PM
chowda
Driver School Candidate

Default bellhousing adapter

Very Cool!

If you don't mind me asking, which company made that adapter plate?

It looks really clean and polished.

I got mine from toyotav8. Good customer service but for reason i had to notch my holes on my bellhousing because they where kind of off.

Would be good to know if there are other companies out there making these.

Still working on my speedo though, but let me know if you have any questions with your swap.

Marvin
Old 01-19-15, 04:04 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Got it from http://www.xcessivemanufacturing.com/home.html
The main reason I went with them is also great quality, customer service, and price and they actually made an adapter where I can use make a custom bracket to accept a fork and a bearing instead of unreliable howe or other hydro bearings. That's on my last resort if the fork doesn't workout.
I haven't had a chance to install it yet to see how things go untill this wed or Thursday
It only cost me 250 to my door and daddy was even happier!!!
They guarrantee their products and back it 100%
Old 01-20-15, 11:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I am a fan of excessive manufacturing, everything I have gotten from them looked to be overbuilt, cause they actually use their products on their cars and test them out etc.. well at least the motor mount brackets I got from them were seriously beefy.
Old 01-20-15, 03:47 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The Neutral Safety Switch.....should be done to make the ECU think the car is always in Neutral.....I have this done to my Auto GTE ECU and it works no problem....Never had an issue with it

As far as the speedo goes....the 3 wire sensor goes to some body plugs inside the passenger footwell....you need to disconnect your auto speed sensor and wire it to the w58 speed sensor
Old 01-24-15, 10:38 AM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
The Neutral Safety Switch.....should be done to make the ECU think the car is always in Neutral.....I have this done to my Auto GTE ECU and it works no problem....Never had an issue with it

As far as the speedo goes....the 3 wire sensor goes to some body plugs inside the passenger footwell....you need to disconnect your auto speed sensor and wire it to the w58 speed sensor
I believe a new VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is needed as well, or a VSS converter. The marlin crawler one threads right onto your current VSS and converts the mechanical speedometer drive to a digital readout. My word on this is not the gospel, but it's what apparently worked for me. My Speedometer is accurate now, even with slightly larger wheels and different final drive gearing.
Old 09-20-15, 01:45 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice i finally got the wiring in the same way. But my speedo worked with the stock connector and the w58 spedo