Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ECU - Climate Control - Needles & Backlighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 06:46 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU - Climate Control - Needles & Backlighting

So I finally made the commitment, Sent everything to Tanin Auto Electronix for service.
Ordered the V2.5 full needle refurbishment in Green, with All blue backlighting as well as blue Odometer & Clock.

In addition, Sent the Climate control unit to have my LCD screen replace & all the backlighting changed over to blue as well along with the buttons.

More importantly, I sent the ECU in to hopefully correct my knock sensor CEL code it's been throwing. Hopefully this is the end of my car running stupid. Can't wait to get these back! Will post pics after install.
Old 02-14-15, 11:55 AM
alltrac
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Tanin fix my computer. In my opinion they have the best service and price out there. I'm going to have them fix my gauge cluster and climate control too. I just have some higher priority items to take care of first.
Old 02-17-15, 04:02 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

So I received my ECU, Climate, & Dash Cluster today. Scrambled to my mechanic before he closed up shop today and had him do the re-installation of all three.

Wow! What a difference. I'll post pics shortly.

ONTO THE ISSUE!
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

On the advise of people on this forum, I sent my ECU to Tanin for servicing. My 93' SC400 has been throwing a CEL - 52. (knock sensor)

In this order, Here's what's been replaced. o2 sensors - (x's 2) Jan 2014 & Jan 2015, Plugs, Wires, Cap & rotors. ECU Service - Jan & Feb 2015.

Yet the CEL remains........ Can ANYONE help? I'm drowning here. Is it in fact time to replace the knock sensors out & take my chances?

ALSO
Can someone tell me how to get the airbag light on my dash to turn off. It came on after the re-installation.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-17-15, 04:16 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Resetting the airbag light: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...bag-light.html

Sounds like replacing the knock sensor(s) is what's needed.
Old 02-17-15, 05:28 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

The pictures don't really do it justice. Unfortunately the Odometer / Clock isn't as bright as the backlighting, but it's AMAZING to have needles & a working climate control!

Old 02-20-15, 04:14 PM
COTech
Driver School Candidate

Hi, when you sent your ECU to Tanin were the capacitors leaking or did you send it in on suspicion? I have the same CEL issue. Thanks
Old 02-20-15, 05:06 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by COTech
Hi, when you sent your ECU to Tanin were the capacitors leaking or did you send it in on suspicion? I have the same CEL issue. Thanks
I sent my ECU to Tanin under the suspicion and recommendation that the issue was leaky capacitor related. I've been getting a code 52 - knock sensor CEL issue. Within 5 miles of leaving my mechanic after re-installing the ECU, cluster & climate, the CEL was back on.

I did manage to find an ebay auction on knock sensors where I paid 23.50 ea. (x's 2). They've shipped, hopefully they'll be here by next Wednesday my day off.

Will keep you posted
Old 02-20-15, 05:28 PM
COTech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jomosc400
I sent my ECU to Tanin under the suspicion and recommendation that the issue was leaky capacitor related. I've been getting a code 52 - knock sensor CEL issue. Within 5 miles of leaving my mechanic after re-installing the ECU, cluster & climate, the CEL was back on.

I did manage to find an ebay auction on knock sensors where I paid 23.50 ea. (x's 2). They've shipped, hopefully they'll be here by next Wednesday my day off.

Will keep you posted
Thanks for the quick reply. My capacitor was leaking so maybe I'll avoid the sensor replacement issue. Please do keep me posted. There's no guarantee my ECU rebuild will fix my problem and I'd like to know how to proceed if it doesn't. Thanks again
Old 02-21-15, 10:47 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jomosc400

Will keep you posted
I'm surprised your car was even running at all. You had at least 4-5 caps that were leaking pretty bad. Did you notice any engine improvement after the ECU refurbish?
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 02-22-15, 02:55 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
I'm surprised your car was even running at all. You had at least 4-5 caps that were leaking pretty bad. Did you notice any engine improvement after the ECU refurbish?
Wow. I didn't know that Jason. I did infact feel some improvement driving it off from my mechanic's shop. Unfortunately, once that CEL comes on, it retards the engine and it goes back to feeling sluggish. Hopefully this week after replacing both knock sensors, I can really get a feel to how it should be running. (Weather permitting)
Many thanks on the services you performed. I've gotten quite a few compliments on my dash & climate control. 1st compliment being from my mechanic. "That'll make it fast" lol
Old 02-25-15, 05:07 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Default Knock Sensor

A little update. Purchased 2 knock sensors off ebay, shipped, and delivered Monday.

Took my car to my mechanic this morning. Mechanic replaced both knock sensors in about 30 minutes. Drove away.................................. Within 1/4 of a mile check engine light came back on........

Problem remains.
Old 02-25-15, 05:09 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

I truly am running out of ideas on WTF is wrong with my car, and why I can't get this damned check engine light to stay off.... So now what.
Old 02-25-15, 05:27 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Ask your mechanic how the knock sensor harnesses look. A guy here on the forum said out of the 10+ SC400's he's had, 2 of them had a bad/messed up knock sensor harness.

Also code 52 doesn't necessarily mean your knock sensors are bad, just means there is a loss of signal codes for each bank of the knock sensors. Though it was probably a good idea to replace them. Suspect them before the harnesses regardless.
Old 03-04-15, 07:52 AM
COTech
Driver School Candidate

My ECU is on the way back from Tanin! Looking forward to having it back in the car and seeing if it resolved my Knock sensor issue. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-04-15, 08:59 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Yeah, just searched and found that it is a pigtail connector. Thats what you want.

Quick Reply: ECU - Climate Control - Needles & Backlighting