Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

there's no turning back now

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 09:09 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered a TurboXS Type-H BOV

i had some extra money that i didn't have to spend on anything else...

i figure since the car will be very loud with the open-vent wastegate, i might as well get a loud BOV to go with it... the kit comes with a mild steel adapter and silicon hose for routing the vacuum signal

gonna scare some people
Old 04-21-03, 09:32 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does that xs bov allow for vented return to the intake after the maf?
Old 04-21-03, 09:40 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not gonna scare many DSM's with that. Is it just me or did the 12 second DSM population triple last year? I'm getting sick of getting dusted by those little buggers $4k for the car, $3k in upgrades = low 12s ET... Sorry about the rant, we need a 1/2 mile track
Old 04-21-03, 09:53 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Aaah, we'll get 'em in the end Mr. Scott...
Old 04-21-03, 10:04 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Its like deep sea fishing. Usually just takes a while to reel them in...
Old 04-21-03, 10:07 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Old 04-22-03, 01:00 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

DSMS run 12s until they break their tranny, fry their clutch or blow their motor

so many 12sec DSMS around here; i can't wait to destroy them all
Old 04-22-03, 05:01 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

You may have to wait longer than you think... The only way the SC300 comes out of the hole quickly with a turbo is with the 6spd driveline, a Tilton clutch, brake boosting, some line lock, and slicks. I've been stomped so many times by those cheap little things that it makes me sick.

You'll find out soon enough. What you can do, however is rule the highway from day one. All you need is boost and a clutch that won't slip. You'll be able to lay the smack down to 11 second DSMs, LS1s, and Cobras on top end.
Old 04-22-03, 05:17 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

hey thats what i plan to do

if someone wants to run me from a stop only; i won't run them unless they agree to run me from a roll afterward

if i wanted a 1/8 mile car, i would have kept my Talon

plus most of the owners around here can't drive... i've taken TWO AWD Talons out of the hole by half a car.... i'll have to learn to launch all over again tho

but i can't wait
Old 04-22-03, 06:02 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

since my 52lb injectors are low resistance... i've got to raise their ohms from 2.3 to 12-14

to do this i'm going to try to run some radioshack resistors in the lines (as a suggestion over various threads on the MKIII forums over at supraforums)

initial test of one 10ohm resistor inline with a injector shows 12.2ohms of resistance
Old 04-22-03, 06:12 PM
BIGONKER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bean,

whenever you are installing your turbo, can u still go to work and stuff. i ask this because im going to be getting new weapon-r intake and ECU soon, and after that when it is summer time i plan on trying to do what you are doing. I just bought this book off amazon about boosts and i still have no idea. I need to use my car everyday to get to work and i dont think i can afford 2 cars. what do you think i should do?
Old 04-22-03, 10:04 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300T
The only way the SC300 comes out of the hole quickly with a turbo is with the 6spd driveline, a Tilton clutch, brake boosting, some line lock, and slicks.

Very sorry you feel that way, an automatic car with a converter and a decent tyre will rock a 6spd car out of the hole and do it consistently, and has a chance at keeping up with a DSM from a stop if he's launching with an eye on preserving his drivetrain. Ethan Banks is a good example, his SC cut a 1.55 short time on 26x11.5x16 ET Streets on stock suspension, and it was his first time out on that tyre. Bean, if your SC as it is now has already beaten two AWD Diamond Stars from a light then you're either one helluva driver or those guys were knuckleheads. Sidestep the clutch @ 5-6 grand and pay attention for torque steer, and if it's still in one piece you're pretty much guaranteed the holeshot. It's a lighter car with AWD, it's only fair that a bloated luxo-coupe should get a spot .....
Old 04-23-03, 11:01 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

lex, i think its a combo of both

trouble is; i can launch my car pretty damn well on the street; but never ever on the track

bigonker,

i plan on having my car down for a couple days at least... i've been working on installing pieces that i can leave in and still run fine... like my walbro fuel pump, my ITC/AFC, boost gauge... when my LS400 maf and injector clips come in i'll install that and the injectors
Old 04-23-03, 05:04 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah Lex, I sort of forgot about the automatics... They have a decided advantage. The main bogey is the 5spd turbo's smallish and hard to modulate clutch combined with non-linear power delivery, and the uncertain reliability of 6000rpm clutch drops under boost. I have a feeling that the Clutchmasters and HPF clutches are better in this regard. 2.1 60ft time was the best I could ever do with a 2.2 more average. The launch is like dancing on a beach ball. Word to the wise, stay away from RPS clutches if you have the 5spd. Chris Bergemann is insisting that his bronze disk HPF and ACT plate combo is what we all need. I guess we'll see as I'm at wits end with the RPS.
Old 04-23-03, 11:19 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

2.1 to 2.2? wow, that does suck, i've had cars that e.t.'d half a sec slower than yours that ran 1.8-1.9 shorts (my god that slip's from seven years ago, looks like a sandbag run ), hope the new clutch works out better for you, Jeff said he was happy with the CM unit when he had the 5speed (5speeds I should say)....

Regardless i'm sure you'll be in the 11's no problem this season on a decent tyre and good fuel...
Attached Thumbnails there's no turning back now-compressed-whited-out-formula-13.1-timeslip.jpg  

Quick Reply: there's no turning back now