Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help with Toyomoto manifold and T61 Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 09:39 AM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help with Toyomoto manifold and T61 Turbo...

Hi,

I was told to come here to look for help in contacting Toyomoto from (SC300TURBO?) and any other ppl that might be able to help me out.

Ok, I have a 95 Supra NA-T running the Toyomoto log type manifold with the T61 Turbo. The problem that I am having is that the T61 only comes with a 4" inlet. When I bought the turbo from Dan @ JWD, I was somewhat misinformed that it was a 4" and not a 3", but I found out later what he meant was that the 4" could be machined down to a 3" housiing. He said that Toyomoto could do it, since they use that turbo on the SC300 all the time. I think he said they charged like ($15 or $30) to machine it down. Right now, I'm just running a mesh in front of my compressor housing, and if I can't get an intake soon, I might just swap out the manifold in a few months. Anyway, is there anyway of contacting someone at Toyomoto, b/c I can't seem to get a hold of anyone there when I call. Also with a T61 turbo I heard you need a snorkel type intake that Toyomoto has, that will go around the distributor. But right now, I'm looking to contact someone to get a hold of Toyomoto so that I can send my compressor housing down to them to have them machine it, and also pick up the snorkel intake. If anyone could get me prices ASAP, I would greatly appreciate it.

One more thing, with the T61 turbo, would I need to put a spacer (T4 flange) between the manfold and the turbo to get the intake to fit, or will it fit without the spacer?

Also, does anyone have a pic of this snorkel type intake? Can you get chromed or polished?

Thank you.

trdsuprase@yahoo.com
Old 03-21-03, 01:31 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Sammy,

Did you *not* get a wedge to go between the manifold and the turbo? If not, Toyomoto should be able to build one for you.

As for the 4" compressor inlet, you may have trouble getting around distributor even with the wedge. I have an sp63 with a 4" inlet, but I knew fitment was going to be a problem. Consequently, I've decided to go distributorless anyways.

As far as turning down the 4" inlet, I don't think that's possible based on what I've inspected on my sp63. (Big disclaimer here) It would seem to me that there *has* to be a 3" inlet that's compatible with your compressor wheel. If so, you should be able to replace just the "nautilus" shell without disassembling the compressor wheel.

-scott
Old 03-21-03, 05:02 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sammy, long time no speak man, glad to see you're gettin' it goin'. I'm sure SC300TURBO can put you in touch with Lance...
Old 03-21-03, 06:22 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

motorheaddown,

No, I didn't get the wedge piece that goes with the Toyomoto manifold, didn't even know one existed. The thing with the T61 is that they don't make a 3" compressor housing from Turbonetics, but I looked at the compressor housing, and it looks like it does flare out to 4"...I'm not sure either if this is feasible or not, but I was told it was, that's why I wanted to ask Toyomoto to confirm this. I tried emailing and calling them, but can't get anyone to respond to me. Anyway, if this isn't possible, I'm just going to save up a bit more and get the Performance Factory manifold. I'm positive a 4" inlet clears the turbo b/c I know someone with the SP63 and it fits fine.

Lex Luthor,

How's it going bud, I don't really visit this forum no more, I'm mostly on supraforums nowadays, but yea, I got the NA-T done, but I'm trying to get some small things finished up...I dyno'd in Nov. and I put down 330rwhp with the VPC/GCC combo. Looking to get the SAFC 2 soon, b/c I was still running rich and I maxed out the GCC all the way...so looking for something a bit more tunable besides the AEM EMS. Anyway, hope all is well with you and I see you picked up another SC...congrats...looks like a beauty. I think there's a big Supra meet going on March 30th at Tobay Beach off Ocean Parkway...supposed to be BIG...maybe you can go check it out...I don't think I'm going tho..take care
Old 03-24-03, 08:46 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TRDSupraSE
Anyway, if this isn't possible, I'm just going to save up a bit more and get the Performance Factory manifold. I'm positive a 4" inlet clears the turbo b/c I know someone with the SP63 and it fits fine.
Jaxin on SF has a sp60 with a 4" compressor inlet on the PF header; however, he did need to "S" bend the intake around the IC piping.

-scott
Old 03-24-03, 02:07 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

How was his IC piping laid out? I dun see the need with my setup...here's a pic...thanks for the heads up tho

Old 03-24-03, 02:23 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Here: http://www.supraforums.com/attachmen...&postid=861519

He's using the PF header and FMax IC piping.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 03-24-03 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-24-03, 03:00 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

Well, I think I'm going to ditch the Toyomoto manifold. Not that its not a good manifold, but I want to keep the larger turbo, since I plan on upgrading later on anyways. I'm going with the Performance Factory manifold, and I hope everything works out...only thing right now that I think I'm going to have a problem with is the IC piping coming off the turbo...I think it's going to be slightly off, but we'll see how it looks.

motorheaddown,

do you know how much Jaxin paid for the manifold? Right now I got a quote of $1700 for the manifold, dp, and dump tube.
How much is it to have it heat coated you think?

Hopefully I get all this done before summer starts....I got too much school work to really mess wtih my car right now.
Old 03-24-03, 03:07 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TRDSupraSE
Do you know how much Jaxin paid for the manifold? Right now I got a quote of $1700 for the manifold, dp, and dump tube.
How much is it to have it heat coated you think?
That sounds about right. They quoted me about the same price when I was looking for a header. I believe the dp is *not* full-length, however; so there's probably more cost involved. Another reason why I went with Toyomoto.

BTW, osofast240 was selling a PF setup on SF. Check with him before you get a new one.

-scott
Old 03-24-03, 03:43 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

He is PF...dun let him fool you

BrettThomson also got the PF header and he said it was fine...all it needed was a Jet Hot Coating...and it fit perfectly. Other little costs I'm guessing is going to be bungs for the o2 sensors, and egt temp sensor tap. Other then that...I just need an intake

Originally posted by motorheaddown
That sounds about right. They quoted me about the same price when I was looking for a header. I believe the dp is *not* full-length, however; so there's probably more cost involved. Another reason why I went with Toyomoto.

BTW, osofast240 was selling a PF setup on SF. Check with him before you get a new one.

-scott
Old 03-24-03, 04:19 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

osofast, hmm, Victor's PF header has changed hands two or three times since then....

Sammy, has PF worked on your car, or if not who's doing your wrenching?
Old 03-24-03, 04:44 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

Well, actually, Sound Performance were the ones who installed my NA-T kit. I'm not actually gonna buy Victor's setup, PF has just moved to Babylon and I'm going to pickup a new one from them. I'm probably going to be taking off the manifold and dp myself...
Old 03-24-03, 07:06 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There ya go Jon, PF is now closer. Another option

gadgetSC-t
Old 03-24-03, 09:15 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Yeah, Frankie told me months ago about the move, too much overhead in the old bldg, and he's ready to do it, but I haven't seen any work they've done with VVT-i, plus SC300TURBO keeps reminding me of their rep, what are your thoughts Sammy and Gadg? I'll put together some costs so you guys can help me evaluate, i'll be pissed if you're both finished before I am, but waiting for my kit and other items from Japan is definitely slowing down the project... Would hate to have to ship it down to FL, but Lance is real nice with the VVT-i and the Haltech, can't argue with that nine sec street Poopra, then again i'm actually moving real soon, and i'll be very close to Vinny's new shop, easy enough to stop in and check on the whip...