Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzge FFIM write up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-20, 05:30 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty much did exactly what AliSC300 suggested. Total cost a little over $400, which isn’t bad at all. I even shorted the manifold and added the q45 d plenum flange.

Q45 d plenum flange (manifold shortened in length)

iacv flange........
The following users liked this post:
Ali SC3 (10-16-20)
Old 10-14-20, 08:45 PM
EpicPie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the parts gathering phase of my ffim conversion, and I'm here to ask about OP's question about which q45 throttle body is actually supposed to be used for this mod. From what I gathered there are a few different throttle bodies that were used on the q45 throughout the years, with one of them being a "tried and true" go to for aftermarket application on JZs, RBs, SRs, and all sorts of other engines. I have a guess as to what is the correct one, but I'd like to confirm with you guys to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

So first of all there is this drive by wire throttle body from the newer q45's that obviously is not going to work with a stock JZ ecu.

Secondly there is this complicated mess of a throttle body that looks like it has 2 butterflies inside, probably one for normal throttle and another for traction control or something like that, and I'm guessing it won't work for this mod easily either.

Finally there is what I'm guessing is the correct "tried and true" throttle body with a tps on the one side, a single butterfly, and the drive by cable linkage thing on the opposing side.

So my first question is are there any variations of the third throttle body that I need to know about? Or were they pretty much all the same until they moved on to the double butterfly one?

My second question is about the Toyota tps adapter for q45 by Beech Performance as Ali said, now known as Punch-Out Performance. It says the adapter is for 7m type tps, and I'd like to clarify that 7m tps would be compatible with a JZ ecu, and the tt ecu mod.

My final question is about a q45 I found for sale at a solid price, but it seems as though its missing some springs or something from the cable actuated linkage, and I'm wondering if anyone has any input on whether or not its worth it to get and see what's wrong with it, or if I should just spend a little more for a more together one, and also what approximately they should be priced at. Here is the q45 in question:

Old 10-16-20, 09:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the third type they are all the same, you want the one with one butterfly.
I think the 7m tps is similar, they are probably talking about rotation direction cause GTE and GE tps turn different ways, one of them should work.
Most people remove the extra stuff on the side of the q45 throttle body which are for idling up in cold weather, done mechanically on the nissan throttle body via temp and those springs etc..
As long as the main spring is there on the actual throttle shaft it should be fine (looks like its still there), most people take all that stuff off and alot of people will even cut off those extra bits and grind it down smooth.
Old 08-21-22, 04:48 PM
sc3hundo
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the third type they are all the same, you want the one with one butterfly.
I think the 7m tps is similar, they are probably talking about rotation direction cause GTE and GE tps turn different ways, one of them should work.
Most people remove the extra stuff on the side of the q45 throttle body which are for idling up in cold weather, done mechanically on the nissan throttle body via temp and those springs etc..
As long as the main spring is there on the actual throttle shaft it should be fine (looks like its still there), most people take all that stuff off and alot of people will even cut off those extra bits and grind it down smooth.
Hey Ali, i know this is an old thread but I wanted to know if you had to relocate the ABS pressure reservoir as well as the power steering reservoir. Or, if you just deleted the abs.
Thanks!
Old 08-21-22, 08:00 PM
Rcreegan
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts

It fits but it is very tight with the abs pressure tank. Power steering revisor needs to be relocated