Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just got back from Discount Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-15, 01:54 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Just got back from Discount Tires

So I'm pretty new to Cars in general and still learning. Got my SC400(my first car ever) not too long ago. Anyways, I started to notice that my front right tire kept leaking air after a week or so... It just sits there and the next morning all the air is gone. So I went to discount tires and they told me that since I have chrome wheels on it it can cause corrosion on the base of the tire, that causes the pressure to go up and down and eventually leads the tire to leak air. I'm not sure I fully understood that correctly. I've got stock SC chrome wheels, did I get ripped off or something?

Also, I did buy a new tire, Continental Tires - Grade Three for $105 single piece, not sure if those are good or not. They told me that eventually you will have to replace your wheel if you want your tire to last long.
Old 04-21-15, 02:00 PM
jomosc400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What they were trying to tell you is that the chrome on your stock lexus wheel is now flaking off where the tire meets the wheel.... because of that flaking, it does not hold a good seal.. They are correct, eventually you will need to look for a replacement for the wheel(s) that are flaky and losing air in your tire(s). Check ebay, or there is a classified section here you might be able to get some wheels. They are going to vary in price, but the good news. Plenty of options.
Old 04-21-15, 03:22 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, wheels can corrode around the lip where the bead meets the tire, but thats not too common down here in Texas. But its one of the things they're told to talk about if there is a leak around the bead. Did they visually inspect the lip for corrosion, or did they just say that at the desk?

I brought 2 brand new rims to the discount tire here in town here to have tires mounted and one started leaking air a week later and they tried telling me the same crap without even looking at the rim which had been driven all of 40 miles and was in perfect condition, they simply hadn't mounted the tire properly. I really don't like Discount Tire much as its very hit or miss depending on which employees look at your car.

Now I'm not saying your wheel isn't corroded, I just have a negative opinion of Discount, and typically don't trust what they're saying, wish there was an independent tire shop in town I could trust lol. If it is corroded some people have had decent luck using a bead sealer to seal the leak, some petroleum jelly, or other oil. But if those don't work, best bet is a new rim.
Old 04-21-15, 03:46 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

I've hate, hate, hate chrome wheels for that reason. Water gets in around the bead and eventually corrodes the chrome, causing it to pit and flake, resulting in an uneven surface that lets air out once it's bad enough. A good tire shop will unmount the tires and scrub the flaking chrome down for you, often at no charge, but it's only a stop gap solution.

I've ditched otherwise perfectly good wheels in the past as a result... I've since learned that a bit of elbow grease can make them better than new. Sand away all the chrome on the inner lip, JB weld and sand any low spots (pitting), then primer and paint with something rust-resistant. It's labor intensive, but not particularly difficult.
Old 04-21-15, 03:52 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eknine9
Yes, wheels can corrode around the lip where the bead meets the tire, but thats not too common down here in Texas. But its one of the things they're told to talk about if there is a leak around the bead. Did they visually inspect the lip for corrosion, or did they just say that at the desk?

I brought 2 brand new rims to the discount tire here in town here to have tires mounted and one started leaking air a week later and they tried telling me the same crap without even looking at the rim which had been driven all of 40 miles and was in perfect condition, they simply hadn't mounted the tire properly. I really don't like Discount Tire much as its very hit or miss depending on which employees look at your car.

Now I'm not saying your wheel isn't corroded, I just have a negative opinion of Discount, and typically don't trust what they're saying, wish there was an independent tire shop in town I could trust lol. If it is corroded some people have had decent luck using a bead sealer to seal the leak, some petroleum jelly, or other oil. But if those don't work, best bet is a new rim.

Well at first the guy at the counter checked my car visually and said that it might have an issue with the chrome wheels or it might be the tire. Then they took my car in the back, then the mechanic tried to explain me that's actually corroding. He also told me that right now we'll just do a temporary leak fix but we can't promise it won't leak again.. : / I guess I'm going to have to look for another rim set.. but first gotta get some cash lol.
Old 04-21-15, 06:13 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah when the chrome starts to flake the bead will not seal and the tire will eventually go flat. On the bright side, it's an excuse to throw some Supra TT's on it.
Old 04-21-15, 10:39 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure if its cheaper to get a replacement wheel then pay for mount/balance or to keep the wheel and get it chromed again somewhere. If the wheel is in good physical shape otherwise, re chroming be a permanent fix, well, at least another 20+ years etc.. Unless of course you're just itching buy new wheels anyway lol..
Old 04-22-15, 02:00 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Not sure if its cheaper to get a replacement wheel then pay for mount/balance or to keep the wheel and get it chromed again somewhere. If the wheel is in good physical shape otherwise, re chroming be a permanent fix, well, at least another 20+ years etc.. Unless of course you're just itching buy new wheels anyway lol..
Hmm rechroming it... never thought of that, any idea how much that will cost? Also is it possible to lets say change chrome wheels to a different type of paint? like matte silver or something?
Old 04-22-15, 10:25 AM
lexsc3
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My chrome wheels did the same thing, I had a friend at the tire shop so when he told me the same thing, I took his advice. I got a set of alloy rims so it wouldnt happen again. I got the same size so I could swap over the tires. Where are you located? Maybe someone has a old set of stock wheels they sell you for cheap. Also check eBay or craigslist.

Last edited by lexsc3; 04-22-15 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-22-15, 01:51 PM
lexsc3
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
Hmm rechroming it... never thought of that, any idea how much that will cost? Also is it possible to lets say change chrome wheels to a different type of paint? like matte silver or something?
I wouldn't go the route of chroming them, its a chemical process and would cost a lot. The chrome has to come to put on another finish on it, they might sandblast it or use a chemical process to get it off. I think bad chrome creates pitting so that will have to be fixed. Find another set of wheels especially if your in an area that they use salt in the winter.