Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 07:11 PM
us2peeps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to manual

Ok I have a 1999 Lexus SC300, found myself a 97 SC300 w58 tranny with complete tranny and bellhousing, my question is what else do I need? I know for sure i need clutch pedal assembly, slave cyllinder, clutch hose, tranny bracket support, and shift beezle . Thats all I can think of, what else am I missing? Wanna get this swap project soon.
Old 05-09-15, 09:09 PM
SC3_5SPD
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by us2peeps
Ok I have a 1999 Lexus SC300, found myself a 97 SC300 w58 tranny with complete tranny and bellhousing, my question is what else do I need? I know for sure i need clutch pedal assembly, slave cyllinder, clutch hose, tranny bracket support, and shift beezle . Thats all I can think of, what else am I missing? Wanna get this swap project soon.

I was hoping to see some responses in this thread! Have you started this project yet? I would love to know what you conclude as far as everything that's needed.

I'm going to look at an automatic tomorrow and if I buy it I'll be going from auto to manual myself and would like to learn more re: whats involved.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Old 05-10-15, 02:06 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Hello us2peeps,

There are a couple of threads you should look at before tackling this swap in a 98-00 SC300. The parts list is very straightforward but the threads Cartmill did on the additional electrical work and swapping out (preserving) your automatic transmission shift solenoids is something you'll need to do as well if you will be using your factory '99 Auto VVT-i ECU.

If you want to be perfect and very OEM about the mechanical aspect of the swap, you might want to pick up a Supra 5-speed or V160 transmission tunnel to swap in (the 1995-1997 Lexus equivalent trans tunnel would be the same but listed under a different part number... and more expensive for the same thing). You want those tunnels specifically since you have a "tripod extension" W58 rather than the earlier extension housing (ie: toploader) type gearbox. You don't *have* to purchase a new tunnel as many people just cut their factory auto ones. Just mentioning the option.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...58+swap+sticky

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ll+W58+99+swap

Welcome and good luck!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-10-15 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 03:08 AM
us2peeps
Driver School Candidate

That chart shows r154 swap part, the tranny that i bought is a complete 1997 lexus sc300 w58, so idk wat kind of driveshaft, cross member, and bellhousing im suppose to use, or is it just bolt on no need different bellhousing, driveshaft, and cross member?
Old 05-11-15, 08:25 AM
SC3_5SPD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Hello us2peeps,

There are a couple of threads you should look at before tackling this swap in a 98-00 SC300. The parts list is very straightforward but the threads Cartmill did on the additional electrical work and swapping out (preserving) your automatic transmission shift solenoids is something you'll need to do as well if you will be using your factory '99 Auto VVT-i ECU.

If you want to be perfect and very OEM about the mechanical aspect of the swap, you might want to pick up a Supra 5-speed or V160 transmission tunnel to swap in (the 1995-1997 Lexus equivalent trans tunnel would be the same but listed under a different part number... and more expensive for the same thing). You want those tunnels specifically since you have a "tripod extension" W58 rather than the earlier extension housing (ie: toploader) type gearbox. You don't *have* to purchase a new tunnel as many people just cut their factory auto ones. Just mentioning the option.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...58+swap+sticky

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ll+W58+99+swap

Welcome and good luck!

Great info, thanks a lot for that! Sadly though, the car was already sold before I got a chance to go look at it over the weekend...and so the hunt is still on.

Would you suggest finding a newer 98/99/2000 model for the conversion or is it better to just buy an earlier model (manual) from the factory?

The idea of having a newer sc appeals to me but I wonder if there is a specific year/model where these cars flourished in terms of performance/reliability...

Last edited by SC3_5SPD; 05-11-15 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 05:53 PM
us2peeps
Driver School Candidate

nvm i didnt see the lower chart, it listed w58 and r154... thanks a bunch...
Old 05-11-15, 09:44 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by us2peeps
That chart shows r154 swap part, the tranny that i bought is a complete 1997 lexus sc300 w58, so idk wat kind of driveshaft, cross member, and bellhousing im suppose to use, or is it just bolt on no need different bellhousing, driveshaft, and cross member?
^^ Just saw your last post. All good. As you saw, both charts in the thread and the entire thread itself cover both the W58 transmission swap and, alternatively, the R154 transmission swap.

With a '97 W58 5-speed trans (which, from years 95-97 is identical to a 93-98 Supra MKIV NA 5-speed W58):

-The front half driveshaft you need is from a 1992-1997 SC300 5-speed. Same for all years.
-The crossmember you need is from a 1992-1997 SC300 5-speed. Again, same for all those years.
-You will NOT need any other bellhousing if the '97 W58 has its original one left on.

And as mentioned above, you will need to either cut your existing automatic transmission tunnel for the shifter opening or buy an MKIV 5-speed or V160 transmission tunnel to swap in.

Since, for 98-00 VVT-i SC's there was no 5-speed offered, you either have to follow Cartmill's thread that I listed to sort out the electrical part of the swap. And in case anyone else thinks of this as well... I've just confirmed that the same drivetrain (2JZ-GE VVT-i) in 1998 Supra NA's were NOT offered with a 5-speed manual. For that year they were automatic only just like the SC. So there is no alternative other than Cartmill's solution.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-11-15 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 09:53 PM
KahnBB6

Moved to the Performance and Maintenance subsection as this appears to be more of an information thread.
Old 05-11-15, 10:12 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by luchevida
Great info, thanks a lot for that! Sadly though, the car was already sold before I got a chance to go look at it over the weekend...and so the hunt is still on.

Would you suggest finding a newer 98/99/2000 model for the conversion or is it better to just buy an earlier model (manual) from the factory?

The idea of having a newer sc appeals to me but I wonder if there is a specific year/model where these cars flourished in terms of performance/reliability...
luchevida,

Sorry you missed out on that one. You'll find another good one, surely.

All 92-2000 SC300's were the same level of good reliability and durability. Just the same, the most obvious flaws (ie: cracking center A/C vents, upper interior door trim cracking in the middle, easily repairable HVAC LCD screen) apply to all years. The only major differences are that 1992 models were the only ones without a passenger side airbag and that 98-2000 models used a different style passenger airbag and dash form (on that side of the car) than any other years. People have said that 1997 and 1998-2000 models have slightly better quality but this is mostly due to them being newer. 95% of the parts are the same other than little touches such as an outside temp gauge on the dash in later models, etc.

Finally, 92-97 SC300's (auto and manual) have the preferable non-interference version of the 2JZ-GE... if going NA-T is what interested you. This is because the pistons and rods are overbuilt just like all the GTE variants. 98-00 2JZ's (and those found in IS300's) have weaker rods and pistons even though the crankshaft and block are exactly the same strength as before. Again... this only applies if you want to go NA-T with your original engine. And it still doesn't stop VVT-i owners even if going turbo in those cases means some more work.

As to your question, finding an original 92-97 5-speed model will always be easier than building one from an auto car but there are few differences other than the transmission setup, final drive ratio and manual ECU. 97-00 bumpers and side skirts can be swapped onto any year SC as can any of the later model electronic options in the interior. The cars did not change very much during the entire decade run.

Personally, apart from TLC any of these cars might need due to age, I'd recommend just finding an original 5-speed unless it's a complete basket case that hasn't been cared for. There will usually be at least a few cosmetic blemishes that need attention. But if your heart is set on a 98-00 model, yes, with some more work than the older 92-97's (electrically) you can swap in a W58 manual.

Plenty of options either way. But yes, unless you plan to swap out the whole engine for a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE with an R154 transmission it is easier to buy a factory 5-speed from the start.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-11-15 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 01:47 PM
SC3_5SPD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
luchevida,

Plenty of options either way. But yes, unless you plan to swap out the whole engine for a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE with an R154 transmission it is easier to buy a factory 5-speed from the start.

Thanks for narrowing down the search for me Kahn! Still on the hunt...there's really not much out there right now. I found a 93 2jz 5-speed with 170k miles and the guy wants 6k for it. It's clean but for the price I prefer to start off with fewer miles if possible.
Old 05-17-15, 02:24 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by luchevida
Thanks for narrowing down the search for me Kahn! Still on the hunt...there's really not much out there right now. I found a 93 2jz 5-speed with 170k miles and the guy wants 6k for it. It's clean but for the price I prefer to start off with fewer miles if possible.

$6k might be fair depending on condition and whether it's had anything done to it (brakes, suspension, etc.). If it's completely stock I'd think $5k would be more appropriate give or take. But I haven't seen it so those are generalizations.

For what it's worth I bought mine with 189K on the odometer. One owner car. $5K. I could have negotiated it down a bit but I'd been shopping unsuccessfully for three months and just wanted a car at that point. Valve cover gaskets are the most involving maintenance the engine itself has seen. These cars need attention here and there but they last a LONG time. I completely understand wanting to shop for lower miles but it will be hard to find one with a 5-speed. For reference, they only made 4,883 5-speeds from 92-97 compared to something like 60,000 SC300's and 400's overall from 92-00. 5-speeds were never that common to being with

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-17-15 at 02:32 AM.