Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What Is This and How Do I Replace It?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 09:00 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Is This and How Do I Replace It?

So a couple weeks ago I was under the hood and noticed a part of the air intake tube broken off. I sort of plugged it with a nail, but the hose that was attached to it is unattached from whatever it was attached to on the other end (the end opposite of the air intake tube it connects to). Does anyone know what this is, how to fix it and any potential issues that may arise from not having this properly hooked up? I'm getting hesitation and changed a lot of stuff. Iacv is next up but I also want to get this fixed too. Thanks guys!
Old 05-21-15, 09:31 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

It goes to the power steering pump for variable speed assist. The pump apparently runs fine with the hose disconnected, but you definitely want to plug the end better where the nail is or you'll create issues. I imagine the MAF and IAC would get confused about the amount of metered air present.
Old 05-21-15, 09:35 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
It goes to the power steering pump for variable speed assist. The pump apparently runs fine with the hose disconnected, but you definitely want to plug the end better where the nail is or you'll create issues. I imagine the MAF and IAC would get confused about the amount of metered air present.
So you're saying my hesitation issues could be happening because it's not 100% plugged?
Old 05-21-15, 09:37 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuscfour
So you're saying my hesitation issues could be happening because it's not 100% plugged?
Very strong possibility. Vacuum leaks tend to cause hesitation. Quick and easy test is to wrap duct tape or electrical tape around it, fully sealing the hole.
Old 05-23-15, 05:10 AM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
Very strong possibility. Vacuum leaks tend to cause hesitation. Quick and easy test is to wrap duct tape or electrical tape around it, fully sealing the hole.
!!!

So I checked your post last night and did as mentioned. Took it for a short test drive around the neighborhood and I must say the car ran like it does on it's best days. Seems like that may have been the problem all along. Interestingly enough, iacv showed up last night too so once a few more parts come in, they're all going on!

Will report back later on how my morning drive to work went. I've got stretches where I normally punch my car to test performance.