Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-03, 12:24 AM
clutch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers

Hey guys.Im new to this website,but have a few things to share with you.I recently e-mailed this same message to another website(the one with the cute girl and the killr silver sc400)well any way i do not know if they got it,but here it is for you.My girl friend and I were on my way back from purchasing my 92 sc400 when up along side comes another green sc400 wanting a hit(race)we both nailed it about the same timeand at that second was not really all that enthused.I personally think the sc400's are sickly slow.sorry but thats the way i feel since my last car was a 10second daily driven 87 buick regal t-type.I also think these cars are really held back.The one i was racing was not!when he got into the throttle about 70 mph,i heard his tires chirp very hard and he left me like a stop sign.I kept up(well tried)when we seen him pulling off for a rest area.i then pulled along side and wanted a looksee.Nothing was wrong with his car.he was just checking on an oil leak,anyway,i had to ask what he had done to his car.his list was this,modified airbox with k&n,nitrous express 100 shot,custom headers with 2.5 inch exhaust with x-pipe,custom valve body mods which he installed spacers in the accumulaters and some modded springs in the valves,jet computer upgrade,some extra timing control.He said the car would run 12.90 all day long and i dont doubt it.heres the catch for those mystery headers.HE said he made them by cutting and welding the old header flange to a set of BBK full length mustang tubes and then had them ceramic coated.Being a former mustang fan i looked in the engine bay and under the car.there they were,headers,and it looked as if he was not lying.Well thats the end of that story.He shook my hand and said he had a long drive.I kept wondering why he didnt just buy headers and i found out when i got home.They are hard to find and they have to be imported on top of that.Well i decided to test his setup,and yes,the tubes of a 87 to 93 mustang header comes very close to fitting the sc400 header flange,with very little bending there is no doubt they will work.I am in the process of doing this myself but not much time due to being a family man,and working,and going to school,SO for all of you that do have the time,try this,I'm sure it can be done with very minimal mods,If i get it done before anyone else,I will post a how to for everybody and i will have it dyno tested.
Old 04-05-03, 11:09 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Great info. Sure beats forking over $700 for headers from Australia. Not knocking those headers. They are a work of art.
What do you think it will cost in the end total for the headers, bending and coating?
Old 04-05-03, 12:10 PM
clutch
Driver School Candidate

Default headers

well i really can't give you an estimate on bending because thereisn't really any bending on the shorty headers,as i can see there are two ways of doing this,you can take the sc400 headers off,cut them where there will be an inch of header tube sticking out from the head flange,cut the mustang header head flange from the tubes,not the collector flange,and weld the mustang tubes to the sc400 flange,as i said the mustang tubes come so close to fitting the sc400 flange that there should be very minimal bending,i have stuck the mustang headers up in where the sc400 manifolds go and they fit great,I also believe you can still use the factory cats with minimal exhaust work.the second way you might be able to do this is the way he did,instead of cutting up your factory headers,take them off,lay them down on a flat piece of cardboard,trace around the sc400 head flange tracing all the holes,cut the holes out including the holes where the header tubes will go,lay the traced pattern on a piece of 3/8 inch steel plate and cut it out with a plasma cutter,if plasma cutter is not available take it to a machine shop,they should not charge over 50 bucks to cut a pattern,after you get every thing cut, weld the cut steel pattern to the mustang header tubes.ok heres another hint,take a set of sc400 exhaust header or manifold gaskets to a machine shop tell them you want a set made from 3/8 inch steel,cut the mustang flange off,weld the mustang tubes to the lexus flange you got made,I have not done this yet but i assure you it can be done,I seen it done,and i am going to do it myself when i get time.You can get a good set of 1 5/8 mustang headers used for about 50 bocks.I also think the full length headers will fit because thats what he had,if you try the full lengths be sure they are BBK because the tubes are tighter together than other mustang headers.headers with JET coating should cost around $250-$350 to make.Ifyou get done before me let me know,Im going to take pictures and possible video to show what im doing
Old 04-05-03, 12:53 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a project for later in the year. I just had my exhaust redone and didn't really plan on having it done again. Now it looks like I'll have to do it again.