Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dual electric fan install with pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 08:58 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man those fans bring back memories. I yanked that very set from my 93 the morning after it was totalled. Sitting on a roll back with *** end pushed into the back seat. Almost a tear to the eye. Glad to see they worked out for ya and still do.
Old 10-23-03, 07:51 AM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work i have the exact same setup on my ls, flex a lite 210's, i need to take pics,

nice work
Old 10-23-03, 03:57 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by awj
Man those fans bring back memories. I yanked that very set from my 93 the morning after it was totalled. Sitting on a roll back with *** end pushed into the back seat. Almost a tear to the eye. Glad to see they worked out for ya and still do.
That was a sad day- I still remember your post about that. But... on the other hand, you learned a good lesson, huh?
Old 05-15-04, 01:50 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

TGrich, so for someone highly considering maybe dual 12's, would an upgraded alternator be necessary? and what about the advanced control unit?

if everything is a go, i might get these as my first mod, then move onto an exhaust system. thanks!
Old 05-15-04, 04:57 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

I don't use an upgraded alternator. I do have an Optima yellow top which I would highly recommend for these though. I dunno what unit your talking about, but I have one that lets me change the temp. at which the fans turn on or I can set it to run all the time.

Tim
Old 05-16-04, 03:23 PM
makenzie70
Rookie

I have to ask why you would risk your engine by running aftermarket electrics in this area? I live At the very north end of Texas...about 100 miles north of Amarillo...and NO flex-a-lite fan can keep up with mid-day summer heat here...trust me...they just don't cut it.

To do something like this propperly you have to stick with OEM fans. Ford has produced a number of great fans that can keep up with hard abuse in this area...the Lincoln MKV fan, and the dual early 90's Tempo fan are great examples. Otherwise, I'd strongly suggest sticking with the stock fan/clutch.

FYI...my 7m registered a 4.8whp gain from the loss of the stock fan clutch. A friend of mine with a NA MKIV Supra registered a 6.3rwhp gain.
Old 05-16-04, 03:52 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by makenzie70
I have to ask why you would risk your engine by running aftermarket electrics in this area? I live At the very north end of Texas...about 100 miles north of Amarillo...and NO flex-a-lite fan can keep up with mid-day summer heat here...trust me...they just don't cut it.
I've been running with these for more than a year now and my temp guage has never showed more than half way up. So apparently they can keep up.
Old 05-16-04, 04:32 PM
Suprast4R
Pole Position

i dont know the weather in oklahoma, but does it get as hot as Texas?

if not, maybe that why..
Old 05-16-04, 04:36 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

A couple of degrees diff at most
Old 05-16-04, 04:38 PM
makenzie70
Rookie

It gets as hot as...prolly a couple degrees cooler...

Your "stock" guage may never go up but Toyota never sold their cars on the premise that they're stock guages were the most accurate available. To my knowledge no stock guage has ever been accurate....and auto-meter is just as bad.
Old 05-16-04, 04:40 PM
makenzie70
Rookie

to my current readings, the stock SC300 guage is on a staged circuit. That means you have cold, somewhere between 120 and 240, and hot...that's as accurate as it gets.
Old 05-16-04, 04:44 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Can anyone confirm this? I'm no expert on this, but this doesn't sound right
Old 05-16-04, 04:49 PM
makenzie70
Rookie

Hit up SF and ask...the SC shares the same components as the Supra...and I'm quite versed with those.

My Supe's temp will vary almost 100* without major movement by the stock guage.
Old 05-16-04, 07:05 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

This brings up a good point. I have had the dual flex-a-lites on my car for about a year and a half now. I replaced the stock wiring with a higher gauge wires because there was some sort of overload and the wire got hot enough to melt and fuse to other things in the car. I almost suffered some bad damage since the car was turbo and the engine did not cool. The car took over an hour to come down in temperature. It was only 90 that day too. Other than that the fans have been great.
Old 05-18-04, 04:04 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Hermosa
I almost suffered some bad damage since the car was turbo and the engine did not cool. The car took over an hour to come down in temperature. It was only 90 that day too. Other than that the fans have been great.
Mike that's scary as a ****!

Quick Reply: Dual electric fan install with pics