Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Price Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-15, 09:45 PM
DreaMzZ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Price Question

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times, but I wanted to get a price estimate on a certain swap for a 2000 SC 300. I am wondering the total cost of 2JZ-GTE swap from an automatic usdm or jdm supra would cost? Not an aristo swap. And the price of converting it to a single turbo that isnt ebay junk. Also, I would need to find a reputable shop and not sure how much labor costs would be. Since my SC is VVTi is it easier to do the VVTi swap from a later year supra or is it better to do the non VVTi even though mine has it?
Old 10-18-15, 10:09 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

It is very difficult to estimate all of those things together. I don't have hard numbers for you.

Finding a complete USDM 2JZGTE Automatic complete swap, especially in stock form, is going to be very difficult to find. You are more likely to find clumps of parts from any USDM engine here and there over long stretches of weeks and months as they happen to show up for sale. Most examples have already been modified for single turbo use anyway. It's often the USDM parts themselves that are up for sale.

^^ Based on my own efforts to piece a USDM swap together I can tell you it's going to cost a lot of money and patience. Then again, I am going for all stock. It would be easier to collect the major USDM components, skip the emissions and twin turbo provisions and go straight for a single turbo setup. But you would still be assembling all those parts from the ground up. Unless you happen to find a complete engine.

Finding a complete JDM Supra 2JZGTE Automatic swap is going to be somewhat more common through importers. And less costly than any USDM. The cost is a bit above what an Aristo version will run you.

Why are you against finding an Aristo swap? It's cheaper and nearly identical to the Supra engine with mostly minor differences in the electronics. You can always modify the harness to suit a JDM Supra 2JZGTE A/T ECU (or aftermarket ECU). And in general what I have been told by one shop is that it's a *bit* easier to swap a VVT-i turbo engine into a 98-00 VVT-i SC300. However both non-vvti and vvti engines can be swapped into your car-- only the harness work varies between the two.

the approaches for single turbo conversion aren't something I'm well versed on. Have to leave that to someone else.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-18-15 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-18-15, 10:27 PM
DreaMzZ
Driver

I heard it was a lot easier to swap one from a supra than an aristo. As far as not having to buy extra parts. It can be JDM but don't the US ones have more horsepower from the factory?
Old 10-19-15, 01:51 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

The easiest two swaps from original used harnesses:

USDM 2JZGTE into 92-97 SC300 -- Only the SC body plugs need to be swapped over and re-pinned. Tach mod. Not easy to come by in stock form.
JDM Soarer 1JZGTE -- Extend the harness wires 18" to suit the LHD chassis. Tach mod. Very plentiful.

The rest of them [JDM Supra TT 2JZGTE (non/VVT-i), Aristo 2JZGTE (non/VVT-i), Soarer or Chaser 1JZ VVT-i] require some more work to the harnesses to work in SC300's. Gerrb has an extensively pictorial step by step conversion thread specifically for the JDM Aristo 2JZGTE harness. There are also harness conversion businesses.

But the engines fitting into the cars aren't all that different from one another. It's mostly the electronics that need some attention. And fuel systems.

Yes, the USDM Supra TT engines do have 320hp advertised (it's slightly more) vs "276hp" (also slightly more but not near "320"hp) from the JDM Supra TT & JDM Aristo engines. This is due to fuel pump and injector differences (550cc vs 440cc), less aggressive camshafts and turbocharger differences. Steel blades for UK/USDM turbos. Ceramic for JDM (which spool faster but cannot handle much more boost than stock). The blocks, pistons, rods and cylinder heads themselves are exactly the same with the exception of USDM heads having EGR ports.

However, there are now services to rebuild both the USDM 2JZGTE CT12's and JDM 2JZGTE CT20 twin turbos with larger GT28 steel compressor wheels. The result is much improved thermal efficiency and far higher boost potential in either version. Something else to consider.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-19-15 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-19-15, 10:00 AM
Aquae
Driver School Candidate

The way you sum up useful info is just amongst the greatest KahnBB6