Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission crossmember for w58 swap on sc400?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 07:42 PM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenac2215
Great lol. Well, I don't think this cars ever gonna get anymore than exhaust really in terms of power. Can you post the link to that cxracing mount? I think I might try to mess with the auto trans crossmember to make it fit. It's also got low mileage on it which is beneficial
I believe this is the mount and crossmember kit from driftmotion that will work with the mk3 w58 on the sc400, though I can't confirm it as I'm not sure if the r154 and w58 share the same dimensions in the mk3... I'd wait for KahnBB6 to confirm it before buying.
http://www.driftmotion.com/R154-Swap...S-p/dm2643.htm

You'll also want to think about driveshaft options, because the length difference may or may not play a factor there. With the sc400 you needed a combination of a sc300 rear driveshaft (I feel like this little tidbit gets glazed over a little too much with the sc400 driveshaft having a very different center mating design..) and a sc300/mk3 w58 front driveshaft, but I believe the mk3 sits a good amount further back? Might want to doublecheck that and if you can afford it get a custom driveshaft made by driftmotion. (iirc 389 dollars)

Last edited by Kobrakai; 01-24-16 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 08:21 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kobrakai
I believe this is the mount and crossmember kit from driftmotion that will work with the mk3 w58 on the sc400, though I can't confirm it as I'm not sure if the r154 and w58 share the same dimensions in the mk3... I'd wait for KahnBB6 to confirm it before buying.

You'll also want to think about driveshaft options, because the length difference may or may not play a factor there. With the sc400 you needed a combination of a sc300 rear driveshaft (I feel like this little tidbit gets glazed over a little too much with the sc400 driveshaft having a very different center mating design..) and a sc300/mk3 w58 front driveshaft, but I believe the mk3 sits a good amount further back? Might want to doublecheck that and if you can afford it get a custom driveshaft made by driftmotion. (iirc 389 dollars)
Already had the driveshaft mounted up with the transmission on a stand and seemed to hook up just fine. There's no way the mount will connect to the sc's auto crossmember though, and I'm thinking the manual crossmember is exactly the same so there's another 80$ wasted lol. I just need to find out what aftermarket crossmember to buy now. Contacted drift motion and cxracing, will hopefully hear back tomorrow. I don't think I want to mess with modifying the Celica mount like you said

I'm thinking the drift motion crossmember adapter should work right because r154 and w58 use same mount, and you basically drill the mount wherever you want into the crossmember.
Also going to see if I can get some of my money back from the guy on eBay.

Last edited by tenac2215; 01-24-16 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 10:09 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

OP, unfortunately you do have an MKIII W58 with the aluminum sandwich plate. The sandwich plate clearly isn't steel and those tail mounting holes being in-line are a dead giveaway. Sorry to confirm :/

^^ Kobrakai, yes that is the correct link for the Driftmotion crossmember adapter kit.

And the R154 and W58 do share the same mounting dimensions so it will work.

CXRacing's website should come right up in Google. Although I was having some trouble locating the part from their main page I found it is part number: TM-R154-SC300

A couple are also for sale on ebay but not, from what I can tell, directly from cxracing.

I'm sending them an email to confirm that this was specifically designed for in-line tail mount MKIII R154's. It looks exactly like it, and if it were for the later ones... people could just use a factory SC crossmember and mount anyway.

Again, anything designed to mount the early MKIII R154 will mount an early MKIII W58.

As for the shifter, the SC "swan" 5-speed shifter does have a more dramatic bend but an early one might work as long as there is an extension housing (W58's have their own version of an extension housing when equipped in 92-94 SC's) and it looks like that is present. It might be a bit more forward from center but all the gears should go in correctly. I haven't tried it personally with an OEM MKIII shifter. Barring that, a Suprasport V3 short shifter WILL work.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-24-16 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 10:51 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
OP, unfortunately you do have an MKIII W58 with the aluminum sandwich plate. The sandwich plate clearly isn't steel and those tail mounting holes being in-line are a dead giveaway. Sorry to confirm :/

^^ Kobrakai, yes that is the correct link for the Driftmotion crossmember adapter kit.

CXRacing's website should come right up in Google. Although I was having some trouble locating the part from their main page I found it is part number: TM-R154-SC300

A couple are also for sale on ebay but not, from what I can tell, directly from cxracing.

I'm sending them an email to confirm that this was specifically designed for in-line tail mount MKIII R154's. It looks exactly like it, and if it were for the later ones... people could just use a factory SC crossmember and mount anyway.

Again, anything designed to mount the early MKIII R154 will mount an early MKIII W58.

As for the shifter, the SC "swan" 5-speed shifter does have a more dramatic bend but an early one might work as long as there is an extension housing (W58's have their own version of an extension housing when equipped in 92-94 SC's) and it looks like that is present. It might be a bit more forward from center but all the gears should go in correctly. I haven't tried it personally with an OEM MKIII shifter. Barring that, a Suprasport V3 short shifter WILL work.
Just got a response from Aaron at drift motion and he said the kit should work, so will be ordering one tomorrow. Thanks you guys for your help
Old 01-25-16, 02:05 AM
KahnBB6

^^ Yep. It definitely will work. Awesome!
Old 01-25-16, 08:04 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

My question still is though, are the crossmembers for auto sc's and manual sc's actually different? Cause from the picture they look the same I'm dimensions. Maybe different bolt holes in center? So if that's the case either crossmember should work for driftmotion's kit right?
Old 01-25-16, 08:14 AM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question still is though, are the crossmembers for auto sc's and manual sc's actually different? Cause from the picture they look the same I'm dimensions. Maybe different bolt holes in center? So if that's the case either crossmember should work for driftmotion's kit right?
From my understanding they're identical. You might need to tap the holes wider according to some installs (though others claim they had no issues, so it could just depend on where the adapter/custom bellhousing places the mount) but other than that you should be fine. Remember though you'll be drilling two holes in the original crossmember with the driftmotion kit so it'll be a perfect fit regardless
Old 01-25-16, 09:23 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

From my understanding they're identical. You might need to tap the holes wider according to some installs (though others claim they had no issues, so it could just depend on where the adapter/custom bellhousing places the mount) but other than that you should be fine. Remember though you'll be drilling two holes in the original crossmember with the driftmotion kit so it'll be a perfect fit regardless
That's what I thought, groovy!
Old 01-26-16, 05:18 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

So just to clarify, sc300s never came with the aluminum sandwich plate w58 or with a mechanical speedo gear or that transmission mount? Trying to lay out my case with this guy on eBay.

Also cxracing emailed me back and said the r154 crossmember would not work on the mk3 w58
Old 01-26-16, 07:09 PM
KahnBB6

So just to clarify, sc300s never came with the aluminum sandwich plate w58 or with a mechanical speedo gear or that transmission mount? Trying to lay out my case with this guy on eBay.

Also cxracing emailed me back and said the r154 crossmember would not work on the mk3 w58
Correct. SC300 (and MKIV) W58's both came with a VSS speedo sensor (as opposed to mechanical cable drive) and both of those newer W58's had steel rather than aluminum sandwich plates.

What CXRacing told you does not make sense though. I got an email back from them today as per my inquiry for SC300 chassis mount compatibility with MK3 R154's:

"Yes our transmission mount would use the rubber mount from a U.S. mk3 supra r154."

So based on that, as far as the transmission itself goes, the MK3 W58 should bolt up with the CXRacing mount (note that this has nothing to do with the shifter location, just the tail mount).

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, the MK3 W58 and R154 both use the same style transmission mount and crossmember location... so why would the CXRacing mount not work for your MK3 W58? Further, if I were incorrect, how would I have been able to make a 1982-85 Celica W58 crossmember work with my R154 (with the slight welding extension)? In my case the MK3 R154 mount bolted right into the Celica W58 crossmember-- length on one side was the only issue since it was for a very old chassis compared to the SC/MKIV. But this, I think, would prove that what works for an MK3 R154 also works for an MK3 (or even an MK2) W58.

CX Racing probably just isn't familiar with the MK3 W58 as per SC300 application. Which makes sense because MK3 R154's are what people usually want to adapt and that's what they designed the part for.

I will try to call them after tomorrow and see if a voice can give me a solid official answer.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-26-16 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-26-16, 08:05 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Correct. SC300 (and MKIV) W58's both came with a VSS speedo sensor (as opposed to mechanical cable drive) and both of those newer W58's had steel rather than aluminum sandwich plates.

What CXRacing told you does not make sense though. I got an email back from them today as per my inquiry for SC300 chassis mount compatibility with MK3 R154's:

"Yes our transmission mount would use the rubber mount from a U.S. mk3 supra r154."

So based on that, as far as the transmission itself goes, the MK3 W58 should bolt up with the CXRacing mount (note that this has nothing to do with the shifter location, just the tail mount).

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, the MK3 W58 and R154 both use the same style transmission mount and crossmember location... so why would the CXRacing mount not work for your MK3 W58? Further, if I were incorrect, how would I have been able to make a 1982-85 Celica W58 crossmember work with my R154 (with the slight welding extension)? In my case the MK3 R154 mount bolted right into the Celica W58 crossmember-- length on one side was the only issue since it was for a very old chassis compared to the SC/MKIV. But this, I think, would prove that what works for an MK3 R154 also works for an MK3 (or even an MK2) W58.

CX Racing probably just isn't familiar with the MK3 W58 as per SC300 application. Which makes sense because MK3 R154's are what people usually want to adapt and that's what they designed the part for.

I will try to call them after tomorrow and see if a voice can give me a solid official answer.
Ok cool

As for cxracing I though the same as you. From what I can tell they use the exact same rubber mount. Doesn't really matter to me anyway though cause I bought driftmotion's kit anyway: utilizes oem equipment and gives you a poly trans mount. Thanks for info!
Old 01-27-16, 01:52 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Does anyone know where I could find a picture of a 1992 sc w58. The guy on eBay claims that 92 sc w58s are different from all the rest. I have searched all over and cannot find a 1992 sc w58. Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 01-27-16, 06:04 PM
KahnBB6

Tenac, I promise you that all 1992-1994 SC300 W58's will look exactly the same (and they all have VSS sensors too which yours should not have -- you'd need a $50 Marlin Crawler VSS convertor for R-series and W-series to get that part to work).

However I can post some pictures of my original 1993 SC300 W58 that I took to sell it.

Another argument: if, as the seller suggests, some SC300's in the first year of production (1992) got W58's with aluminum sandwich plates AND MK3 style tail housings... then where is the oddball transmission mount for it that allows using an MK3 style tail housing with a factory SC300 crossmember? Barring that, where is the oddball 1992-only crossmember for SC300's with these mythical carryover W58's that allows using an MK3 style transmission mount?

The answer is that no such mounting parts exist. The SC300 got a slightly revised W58 with: steel sandwich plate, updated tail housing which allows for the common SC300/MKIV trans mount and crossmembers, an electronic VSS sensor instead of a cable-drive for the speedo, JZ bellhousings and extended shifter housings (and slightly different shifters).

The seller is either very mistaken because HE was told this was a "1992 SC300 W58" by the person who originally sold it to him.... or he's very well aware he sold you an MK3 W58 and isn't being forthcoming. I could not guess which is the answer in his case.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-27-16 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 08:28 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Tenac, I promise you that all 1992-1994 SC300 W58's will look exactly the same (and they all have VSS sensors too which yours should not have -- you'd need a $50 Marlin Crawler VSS convertor for R-series and W-series to get that part to work).

However I can post some pictures of my original 1993 SC300 W58 that I took to sell it.

Another argument: if, as the seller suggests, some SC300's in the first year of production (1992) got W58's with aluminum sandwich plates AND MK3 style tail housings... then where is the oddball transmission mount for it that allows using an MK3 style tail housing with a factory SC300 crossmember? Barring that, where is the oddball 1992-only crossmember for SC300's with these mythical carryover W58's that allows using an MK3 style transmission mount?

The answer is that no such mounting parts exist. The SC300 got a slightly revised W58 with: steel sandwich plate, updated tail housing which allows for the common SC300/MKIV trans mount and crossmembers, an electronic VSS sensor instead of a cable-drive for the speedo, JZ bellhousings and extended shifter housings (and slightly different shifters).

The seller is either very mistaken because HE was told this was a "1992 SC300 W58" by the person who originally sold it to him.... or he's very well aware he sold you an MK3 W58 and isn't being forthcoming. I could not guess which is the answer in his case.
The thing is, there is no way to prove that the 92 sc trans wasn't different than the rest. It very well could have a unique mount and crossmember, but no one knows the difference. I have not seen any undercarriage shots of a 92 manual sc have you? A lot of them are probably not being modified and would not showing up online, have been crushed, or have already had the w58 swapped for something else by now.

Last edited by tenac2215; 01-27-16 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 10:02 PM
KahnBB6

There is a way. Try calling Lexus or a Lexus friendly dealer like Carson Toyota tomorrow and ask them to verify the transmission mount part number for a 1992 SC300 M/T and a 1993 SC300 M/T. Same for the aluminum crossmember. Ask them to verify if both have the same exact part number.

We do know the difference here on Clublexus. And I have seen undercarriage shots of at least a couple of 1992 5-speed SC's. Actually you'll find that a LOT of manual SC300's were made in 1992 and it's common to see many of them modified.

Crushed? I'm sure some have been by now but a lot of people tend to understand that an SC300 with a manual is a rare thing.

Yes, people swap W58's out (I eventually did this too) but the cost of swapping to an even stronger transmission is high for the general SC market and not everyone does.

tenac I am truly trying to be helpful and honest with you in all of these responses. If I had any doubt in my mind I would say so but I have gone through too much research, time, scouring for clear and straight answers and too many people's SC and Supra builds, comments about how each transmission bolts up, how this or that older Toyota transmission can be adapted to an SC and what the differences are between the older W58's and newer W58's.

It is hard to prove your case to eBay without hard visual evidence but all of this is the truth. Too many things about the W58 you bought line up to suggesting it's just an MK3 version that someone swapped an SC shift extension and bellhousing onto.

There was never a special oddball carryover W58 for 1992 only.

If there ever had been, can you imagine how much easier it would be for SC owners to swap in a Supra MKIII R154 with a purely factory SC crossmember and transmission mount? That would be GREAT. Why is this relevant? Because if such a 1992-only oddity did exist it would use the same mounting system the MKIII R154 does. Unfortunately such a one-year-only-for-1992 transmission mount and crossmember oddity DOES NOT EXIST.

I am sorry, man. This may be difficult to prove on eBay without pictures tied to a VIN number as a hard example but this seller is flat out lying to you (or he's a completely stubborn and uninformed fool) and I am absolutely telling you the hard truth.

Please refer to my reply in your other thread as well.

It makes me angry that you've been swindled like this. It doesn't meant you won't be able to make the transmission work in your SC400 (you do have an SC300 shifter extension and a JZ bellhousing out of it and there are non-OEM options to mount the gearbox) but it does mean the seller has lied to you.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-27-16 at 10:05 PM.