Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission crossmember for w58 swap on sc400?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-16, 04:59 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission crossmember for w58 swap on sc400?

So I'm in the middle of swapping a w58 from an sc300 into my 1uz sc400. I'm using the swap kit from Toyotav8.com. Does anyone know what to do for the crossmember and rear transmission mount. The rubber mount on the w58 will no way go into the sc400's crossmember. And the rubber transmit by for the auto will not go into the w58. What crossmember do I need to get? Or Maybe I just need a different trans mount?

Last edited by tenac2215; 01-10-16 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-10-16, 08:35 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

tenac, I have not performed this swap firsthand but assuming the transmission placement fore to aft hasn't changed from factory placement on an SC300 I would think you'd want to pick up an SC300 W58 crossmember and stay with the W58 rubber mount since both conform to the transmission type that you're using.

You need to pick up a W58 crossmember. That should solve it!
Old 01-10-16, 08:42 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
tenac, I have not performed this swap firsthand but assuming the transmission placement fore to aft hasn't changed from factory placement on an SC300 I would think you'd want to pick up an SC300 W58 crossmember and stay with the W58 rubber mount since both conform to the transmission type that you're using.

You need to pick up a W58 crossmember. That should solve it!
Do you or anyone know if mk4 w58 supras use the same crossmember?
Old 01-11-16, 04:15 PM
KahnBB6

tenac, the W58 crossmembers from the MKIV Supra should be the same part and bolt spacing, yes. And the rubber mount design for SC's and MKIV's with W58's is exactly the same regardless of whether it's an early extension housing version or tripod version of the transmission.
Old 01-12-16, 11:32 AM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is actually some good info, I'm also in the middle of procuring some final parts for my w58 swap (rear driveshaft is in the mail then the swap begins next week) and I was thinking about this aswell. Great to know!

EDIT: You could save yourself some time and do what many others have done and just drill out two extra holes in the crossmember.. I think I'll be going that route as I'm tired of hunting for parts lol

Last edited by Kobrakai; 01-12-16 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-12-16, 07:18 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

tenac, the W58 crossmembers from the MKIV Supra should be the same part and bolt spacing, yes. And the rubber mount design for SC's and MKIV's with W58's is exactly the same regardless of whether it's an early extension housing version or tripod version of the transmission.
Ok good to know! I ended up getting a hold of one from another club Lexus member. Should come in the mail in a few days so I can finish my swap
Old 01-13-16, 12:07 AM
KahnBB6

^^
Old 01-23-16, 09:39 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kobrakai
This is actually some good info, I'm also in the middle of procuring some final parts for my w58 swap (rear driveshaft is in the mail then the swap begins next week) and I was thinking about this aswell. Great to know!

EDIT: You could save yourself some time and do what many others have done and just drill out two extra holes in the crossmember.. I think I'll be going that route as I'm tired of hunting for parts lol
So only 2 of the 4 bolts on the w58 mount would be used? The auto crossmember dinner reach back far enough for the front 2 bolts on the w58 mount
Old 01-23-16, 09:53 AM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tenac2215
So only 2 of the 4 bolts on the w58 mount would be used? The auto crossmember dinner reach back far enough for the front 2 bolts on the w58 mount
Huh.. that's interesting.. almost all the guides I've read have said that the mk4/sc300 w58's are identical in design and that the late sc300s even have the same tripod shifter.. and that the crossmember holes either line up or are very close and it only requires drilling.. here's some of the posts I found that seem to have done it with no issues?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post7439477
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-of-pics.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post4991560

Another important detail, what bellhousing are you using? and you do have a mk4/sc300 w58 right?
EDIT: Oh I looked over your first post again, you're using a sc300 w58 and toyotav8 kit.. that's very odd... can you take some pictures? Also is your transmission the gooseneck or late model tripod one?

EDIT2: Found some shots of the SC300 manual trans mount crossmember, the sc400 crossmember and the supra crossmember (the former 2 from posts here on clublexus) and here they are for comparisons sake so we can figure out which one you need! I'll be starting my swap today so I'm gonna have the car up on jacks so I can compare then and see if mine lines up.

SC300 manual w58 crossmember (thanks to TMaxxTim's DIY trans mount change guide here)

sc400 crossmember (Thanks to 1JZPWRD's FS ad from 4 years ago here)

and here are both the supra TT auto/getrag 6spd crossmember (top) and the supra na auto/w58 crossmember (bottom) (image and info sourced from here)

also, are you absolutely certain your transmission came from a sc300? if it's a mk3 one, that might explain everything.

Last edited by Kobrakai; 01-23-16 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 08:58 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by tenac2215
also, are you absolutely certain your transmission came from a sc300? if it's a mk3 one, that might explain everything.
tenac... are you referring to the way the rubber mount connects to the CROSSMEMBER or to the tail housing of the transmission itself?

MKIII Supra W58's and MKIII Supra R154's have a perfectly horizontal tail housing bolt hole arrangement ("in-line" bolt holes)

SC300 W58's, MKIV W58's and Soarer/Chaser R154's have a diagonal or "staggered" arrangement of the transmission tail housing bolt holes. Look at an SC/MKIV W58 transmission mount (not the crosssmember) and compare it to an MKIII W58/R154 transmission mount and you can see the difference.

^^ This is what I thought you might have been referring to in your quoted post above. If you were definitely referring to the rubber transmission mount itself, then you should be able to use all four trans tail housing bolt holes of the SC300/MKIV W58 with the mount as it was designed.

If you instead have an MKIII W58... then you CAN bolt up to an SC/MKIV mount with only two holes... but I REALLY don't recommend this for safety reasons.

If what you have is really an MKIII W58 then you will need an MKIII 1986-1992 Supra style W58/R154 mount and a completely different crossmember:

A) Driftmotion sells a kit to adapt your SC crossmember with one of their own custom mounts but which protrudes the crossmember 1-2" beyond the undercarriage which can cause drag and possibly a clearance issue in such a low car. Other than that it works well.

B) Find a 1982-1985 Celica W58 crossmember, use an MKIII Supra trans mount and have the Celica crossmember cut, extended with plate steel and welded on one side. This crossmember uses the MKIII Supra style transmission mount and it *almost* fits the SC300 other than being slightly too short on one side, which again can be corrected with some creative cutting and welding. I went this route in 2013 with my MKIII R154.

C) CXRacing makes a custom crossmember for adapting the MKIII style W58's and R154's to SC's and MKIV's. As far as I can tell this is the newest option available.

Reason for all of this is that you can't use an MKIII style transmission mount on an SC/MKIV crossmember without a lot of drilling.

Also, just be aware that if you DO have an MKIII W58 it's the slighly weaker of the series compared to the SC/MKIV W58.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-23-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 01:10 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

tenac... are you referring to the way the rubber mount connects to the CROSSMEMBER or to the tail housing of the transmission itself?

MKIII Supra W58's and MKIII Supra R154's have a perfectly horizontal tail housing bolt hole arrangement ("in-line" bolt holes)

SC300 W58's, MKIV W58's and Soarer/Chaser R154's have a diagonal or "staggered" arrangement of the transmission tail housing bolt holes. Look at an SC/MKIV W58 transmission mount (not the crosssmember) and compare it to an MKIII W58/R154 transmission mount and you can see the difference.

^^ This is what I thought you might have been referring to in your quoted post above. If you were definitely referring to the rubber transmission mount itself, then you should be able to use all four trans tail housing bolt holes of the SC300/MKIV W58 with the mount as it was designed.

If you instead have an MKIII W58... then you CAN bolt up to an SC/MKIV mount with only two holes... but I REALLY don't recommend this for safety reasons.

If what you have is really an MKIII W58 then you will need an MKIII 1986-1992 Supra style W58/R154 mount and a completely different crossmember:

A) Driftmotion sells a kit to adapt your SC crossmember with one of their own custom mounts but which protrudes the crossmember 1-2" beyond the undercarriage which can cause drag and possibly a clearance issue in such a low car. Other than that it works well.

B) Find a 1982-1985 Celica W58 crossmember, use an MKIII Supra trans mount and have the Celica crossmember cut, extended with plate steel and welded on one side. This crossmember uses the MKIII Supra style transmission mount and it *almost* fits the SC300 other than being slightly too short on one side, which again can be corrected with some creative cutting and welding. I went this route in 2013 with my MKIII R154.

C) CXRacing makes a custom crossmember for adapting the MKIII style W58's and R154's to SC's and MKIV's. As far as I can tell this is the newest option available.

Reason for all of this is that you can't use an MKIII style transmission mount on an SC/MKIV crossmember without a lot of drilling.

Also, just be aware that if you DO have an MKIII W58 it's the slighly weaker of the series compared to the SC/MKIV W58.
THis is the one I'm putting in

The guy told me it was from an '92 sc300

Last edited by tenac2215; 01-24-16 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 01:50 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Here are two pictures of the mount and rear of trans.

Last edited by tenac2215; 01-24-16 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 05:36 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Just contacted the guy and he says its from an sc300 but I'm starting to think its from an mk3
Old 01-24-16, 06:54 PM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

I'm almost certain that's a mk3 w58 unfortunately.. Because the sc300 and mk4 only came with steel sandwich plates, and in that first photo, well.. that's aluminum. Also, if I'm not mistaken (maybe someone can confirm this for me?) the sc300's w58 gooseneck shifter was pretty wild, it was alot more extreme of an angle than that one. There's a few more oddities compared to my w58 that I spot, one of those being the transmission mount. If you want, I can take some photos of my mk4 w58 to give you a good ground for comparison.

Don't get too bummed though, it IS possible to make it work with the mk3 but it'll take a bit more work and you'll have the benefit of the transmission being a bit more affordable in the scenario that it goes. The downside will be that it won't hold as much power in the long run as the sc300 w58 and wont have the reinforced input shaft of the mk4 (which if you go looking for a steel sandwich plate w58, I HIGHLY recommend trying to hunt down one from a supra. I spent months finding one and I don't regret it one bit because a supercharger is in the near future ) but if you don't plan on pushing the powertrain past simple mods like intake and exhaust, it really doesn't matter. However, it does kind of suck that you got charged almost 850 for what is essentially a 200~300 dollar box... I'd see if you can contact the seller and do something about it, maybe get some more info. Something is very very wrong there.

Last edited by Kobrakai; 01-24-16 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 07:22 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

I'm almost certain that's a mk3 w58 unfortunately.. Because the sc300 and mk4 only came with steel sandwich plates, and in that first photo, well.. that's aluminum. Also, if I'm not mistaken (maybe someone can confirm this for me?) the sc300's w58 gooseneck shifter was pretty wild, it was alot more extreme of an angle than that one. There's a few more oddities compared to my w58 that I spot, one of those being the transmission mount. If you want, I can take some photos of my mk4 w58 to give you a good ground for comparison.

Don't get too bummed though, it IS possible to make it work with the mk3 but it'll take a bit more work and you'll have the benefit of the transmission being a bit more affordable in the scenario that it goes. The downside will be that it won't hold as much power in the long run as the sc300 w58 and wont have the reinforced input shaft of the mk4 (which if you go looking for a steel sandwich plate w58, I HIGHLY recommend trying to hunt down one from a supra. I spent months finding one and I don't regret it one bit because a supercharger is in the near future ) but if you don't plan on pushing the powertrain past simple mods like intake and exhaust, it really doesn't matter. However, it does kind of suck that you got charged almost 850 for what is essentially a 200~300 dollar box... I'd see if you can contact the seller and do something about it, maybe get some more info. Something is very very wrong there.
Great lol. Well, I don't think this cars ever gonna get anymore than exhaust really in terms of power. Can you post the link to that cxracing mount? I think I might try to mess with the auto trans crossmember to make it fit. It's also got low mileage on it which is beneficial

Quick Reply: Transmission crossmember for w58 swap on sc400?