Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What shifter is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 08:58 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What shifter is this?

So I got a w58 on eBay a few months ago and am finally doing the swap on my sc400. The adapter plate in using should allow the shifter to come out in oem location. However this shift lever comes out a bit too far forward. I have reason to believe this is an r154 shifter because the guy I bought the w58 from said he was upgrading to a r154 on his sc.
Old 01-15-16, 03:22 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,239 Likes on 866 Posts

It might be a "swan" shifter from a Mark III Supra W58 or R154. Despite the lack of extension housings on their toploader transmissions those cars do use a swan shifter. The bend just isn't as aggressive as the "swan" shifters in the 1992-1994 SC300 5-speeds (and 1991-1994 Soarer's with R154's).

I don't know how well that one works in an SC in practice but barring an original SC 5 speed shifter the Suprasport V3 shifters (they are copies of and slight updates to an old C's short shifter design) work very well even though they were originally designed for MKIII Supras.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-15-16 at 03:26 AM.
Old 01-26-16, 03:12 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It might be a "swan" shifter from a Mark III Supra W58 or R154. Despite the lack of extension housings on their toploader transmissions those cars do use a swan shifter. The bend just isn't as aggressive as the "swan" shifters in the 1992-1994 SC300 5-speeds (and 1991-1994 Soarer's with R154's).

I don't know how well that one works in an SC in practice but barring an original SC 5 speed shifter the Suprasport V3 shifters (they are copies of and slight updates to an old C's short shifter design) work very well even though they were originally designed for MKIII Supras.
Do you think this shifter could be modified by welding a 1-2" price of metal in the middle of the shifter? Like these?

I'm just curious if these kind of welds would hold up to constant shifting all the time.

(Note: it is a mk3 w58)
Old 01-26-16, 07:32 PM
KahnBB6

tenac, I know shifters can be welded but I'm no expert on what holds up or doesn't, sorry. Also I'd be concerned about the shifting character itself. But truly, I'm not the one to ask for a qualified opinion on how advisable doing this is. Welded shifters are not uncommon in custom applications for many project vehicles so yes, I'd say if the welding is top notch it should hold up.

My solution was to get the SS V3 short shifter but that's not a cheap fix.

All MK3 W58's and R154's and all 1992-1994 SC300 W58's use the same shifter mounting area, so other than clearance and bends, any shifter designed for that mount will work in any of those style transmissions.
Old 01-26-16, 08:59 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

tenac, I know shifters can be welded but I'm no expert on what holds up or doesn't, sorry. Also I'd be concerned about the shifting character itself. But truly, I'm not the one to ask for a qualified opinion on how advisable doing this is. Welded shifters are not uncommon in custom applications for many project vehicles so yes, I'd say if the welding is top notch it should hold up.

My solution was to get the SS V3 short shifter but that's not a cheap fix.

All MK3 W58's and R154's and all 1992-1994 SC300 W58's use the same shifter mounting area, so other than clearance and bends, any shifter designed for that mount will work in any of those style transmissions.
Are you sure the v3 shifter would reach from the mk3? It looks to be the same kind of bends in the shifter I've got?
Old 01-26-16, 10:05 PM
KahnBB6

As long as your W58 has the extended housing (pictured here):

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/sho...uit-the-soarer

Then it should work. I've been scouring google but for the life of me I cannot find a single comparison of a stock MK3 W58 shift housing next to an untouched SC300 W58 shift housing. I went back into some of my own old posts to double check: unless your W58 is "extended" as pictured above, you'll also need an extension housing no matter what shifter you use.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-thread-3.html

*Page 3, Post #37

You'll still have to modify your transmission tunnel to allow the shifter to come through anyway since you have an automatic.

I DD with a Suprasport V3 shifter in my 1993 5-speed. I have an R154 now but it has an OEM Soarer extension housing which makes it place the shifter exactly where my original factory W58 came up. The V3 shifter isn't precisely in the middle where the stock shifter was but it's very close and you can go through all gears perfectly. I don't have any problems. I do wish I had a short shifter with an SC style swan bend but so far I can't see that any exist-- other than a vintage C's shifter from the 90's made for the Soarer. In any case, the V3 works just fine in an SC.

Both early versions of these transmissions can use the V3 when the extension housing places the shifter right where any 1992-1994 SC300 factory 5-speed's shifter came up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...essions-3.html

*Page 3, Post #33 for pictures.

The only time you would not want to use a V3 shifter (or any stock "swan" shifter from an MK3 or SC) is if you have an R154 with a really long custom extension housing which would be more suited to an aftermarket straight shifter.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-26-16 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 12:18 AM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

As long as your W58 has the extended housing (pictured here):

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/sho...uit-the-soarer

Then it should work. I've been scouring google but for the life of me I cannot find a single comparison of a stock MK3 W58 shift housing next to an untouched SC300 W58 shift housing. I went back into some of my own old posts to double check: unless your W58 is "extended" as pictured above, you'll also need an extension housing no matter what shifter you use.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-thread-3.html

*Page 3, Post #37

You'll still have to modify your transmission tunnel to allow the shifter to come through anyway since you have an automatic.

I DD with a Suprasport V3 shifter in my 1993 5-speed. I have an R154 now but it has an OEM Soarer extension housing which makes it place the shifter exactly where my original factory W58 came up. The V3 shifter isn't precisely in the middle where the stock shifter was but it's very close and you can go through all gears perfectly. I don't have any problems. I do wish I had a short shifter with an SC style swan bend but so far I can't see that any exist-- other than a vintage C's shifter from the 90's made for the Soarer. In any case, the V3 works just fine in an SC.

Both early versions of these transmissions can use the V3 when the extension housing places the shifter right where any 1992-1994 SC300 factory 5-speed's shifter came up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...essions-3.html

*Page 3, Post #33 for pictures.

The only time you would not want to use a V3 shifter (or any stock "swan" shifter from an MK3 or SC) is if you have an R154 with a really long custom extension housing which would be more suited to an aftermarket straight shifter.
so this one?
Attached Thumbnails What shifter is this?-untitled.png  
Old 01-27-16, 10:15 AM
KahnBB6

That should be it, yes. That housing extends the transmission shifter location part of the way and the "swan" shifter extends the rest of the way. The opening in the tunnel (which you will have to make in your SC400) is not actually directly under the middle point of the SC300 5-speed console trim shifter bezel. It's a bit more forward. The shifter bend makes up for the distance.

(^^ The same applies to older R154's with the Soarer extension).

But again, at least with the SS V3 originally designed for MK3 Supras I've found that it works anyway. I have not yet tried with an OEM MK3 Supra shifter but it might also clear all gears for positive engagement.
Old 01-27-16, 12:57 PM
tenac2215
Pit Crew

That should be it, yes. That housing extends the transmission shifter location part of the way and the "swan" shifter extends the rest of the way. The opening in the tunnel (which you will have to make in your SC400) is not actually directly under the middle point of the SC300 5-speed console trim shifter bezel. It's a bit more forward. The shifter bend makes up for the distance.

(^^ The same applies to older R154's with the Soarer extension).

But again, at least with the SS V3 originally designed for MK3 Supras I've found that it works anyway. I have not yet tried with an OEM MK3 Supra shifter but it might also clear all gears for positive engagement.
Ok, mine appears to have that extension. I don't know if I can shell out 320$ right now on a shifter, so I'll just ride around without a console for a while. Hopefully I can find a swan shifter for a fair price.