Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 01:39 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Their custom flywheel does have the starter teeth integrated in (if going with the single disc option). The use of flex plate is only an option if you desire to use an off the shelf clutch kit (unless going with twin setup, then it's necessary), in which case you would also have to purchase one of his flywheel adapters.

But yes, I agree 100% that stacking things up is far from ideal. I would only be interested in the single disc anyway. So for me, I'm not too worried about that. I doubt I will even come close to 670ft lbs on my 1JZ, unless I someday go up to a 1.5JZ
Old 01-25-16, 05:00 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

I was reading more about the Maverick and Collins kit. Do I get it right that Collins is a pricier setup ? Looks like there is a Spec Twin disk package available for the Maverick kit. Adapter Plate and Spec Twin disk setup (flywheel / clutch) that would support +1000rwhp / 900ft/lbs would be $2000 and no more bell housing surface milling required for their Revision 2 plate adapter ..then get the shifter in the right location for $300 plus the trans and other stuff (mounts , driveshaft, etc)... that will be between $3.5 - $4k total.

If indeed it will be durable and such setup with the twin disk clutch can support +1000rwhp / 900 ft/lbs , that is definitely a lot better setup than a R154 in my opinion. A good R154 setup now a days specially if you are looking at a new soarer R154 with a good clutch and driveshaft is well over $4k .

The question whether the CD009 is as robust as the V160 ? without empirical data or verifiable examples from a number of people abusing it like the V160 on a JZ engine ? , it is still a hearsay . One or two dyno sheets of a CD009 surviving 900 ft/lbs on a dyno is different from a CD009 repeatedly surviving 900 ft/lbs on the drag strips , half or mile runs of which the V160 had been repeatedly been proven .

Estomax - I have seen , rather read about the single disk setup of Maverick ... that lightened aluminum flywheel and single disk can very well be the reason of the rattling your hear .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-25-16 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 06:28 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
I was reading more about the Maverick and Collins kit. Do I get it right that Collins is a pricier setup ? Looks like there is a Spec Twin disk package available for the Maverick kit. Adapter Plate and Spec Twin disk setup (flywheel / clutch) that would support +1000rwhp / 900ft/lbs would be $2000 and no more bell housing surface milling required for their Revision 2 plate adapter ..then get the shifter in the right location for $300 plus the trans and other stuff (mounts , driveshaft, etc)... that will be between $3.5 - $4k total.

If indeed it will be durable and such setup with the twin disk clutch can support +1000rwhp / 900 ft/lbs , that is definitely a lot better setup than a R154 in my opinion. A good R154 setup now a days specially if you are looking at a new soarer R154 with a good clutch and driveshaft is well over $4k .

The question whether the CD009 is as robust as the V160 ? without empirical data or verifiable examples from a number of people abusing it like the V160 on a JZ engine ? , it is still a hearsay . One or two dyno sheets of a CD009 surviving 900 ft/lbs on a dyno is different from a CD009 repeatedly surviving 900 ft/lbs on the drag strips , half or mile runs of which the V160 had been repeatedly been proven .

Estomax - I have seen , rather read about the single disk setup of Maverick ... that lightened aluminum flywheel and single disk can very well be the reason of the rattling your hear .
SP running a stock one on their drag 350z with what they claim has an extreme amount of dyno pulls and drag passes not enough? Collins says he has some high hp applications running out there as well.
Old 01-25-16, 07:09 PM
supragt35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
SP running a stock one on their drag 350z with what they claim has an extreme amount of dyno pulls and drag passes not enough? Collins says he has some high hp applications running out there as well.
Then the input shaft exploded with slicks on a hard launch

So far I haven't seen any evidence of anyone running a Collins cd swap sc over 600+whp
Old 01-25-16, 08:47 PM
Halon
Racer

Oh wow, did not hear about that. When was that?

That car had been running 9's and been at 1000+hp since 2008. Any transmission will eventually see it's demise in that situation.
Old 01-25-16, 09:39 PM
supragt35
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car had been running 9's and been at 1000+hp since 2008. Any transmission will eventually see it's demise in that situation.
After the input shaft exploded they decided to switch over to the th400
Old 01-26-16, 01:58 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I am not doubting what SP had accomplished on that 350z . My question is ...if this had been happening since 2008 why is it that it is not being duplicated in many cars if indeed it is a RELIABLE and DURABLE 6 speed in extreme applications and AT PAR with the V160 ? There are thousands of people wanting a 6 speed car ... it could have been a money making business . Am I missing something here ? I get it , SP did it in one car .... where are the rest ? And to hear SP deciding to ditch it after it breaks makes me even wonder now . Wouldn't they replace it with another one since they are so cheap ?

"Collins says" ....since they are selling an adapter for the CD009 transmission, I will take that with a grain of salt until I see the transmission abused in high end applications by quite a number of people. Most of the videos I see posted with Collins adapter or even by Brett Collins himself are at the 500-600 hp range. I am not saying there are none. I am just saying where are the high hp / torque applications (+1000rwhp/800ft/lbs) cars that are regularly abused in the drag strip just like the V160 ?

With social media now a days , people are always eager to announce good news ! Don't you think we will see or get to know cars with this transmission going to the drag strips, half or mile runs all over the country just like you hear people with v160s going to the different drag strips, half or mile runs to compete ? Why is it that the hard core 6 speed guys breaking the V160s on the drag strips not using them if it was a cheaper alternative ? Instead, now that the V160 and some of its internal parts discontinued, I see them going with the T56 which are more expensive ? Surely there is something they know that we don't know .

Kinda quite inquisitive about this now since I really want to try it in a car making a little above 1krwhp and 780ft/lbs of torque right now and with direct port nitrous will do a little bit more. But I don't have a lot of money to be experimenting just to find out the sad truth if ever . So I would rather play a devil's advocate just to gather more data about this CD009 .....actual users in high end applications...not one or two ... Those might just be the lucky ones as they used to say. I still have one brand new V160 I can use for such car if I wanted to but if truly what they are saying about the CD009 is true, then it might be worth using it.

I guess I will say again what the OP said "Calling everyone who has done it ! "

Last edited by gerrb; 01-26-16 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-26-16, 06:15 AM
Halon
Racer

I respect your opinion. I'm not here to argue, I think I just see it a little differently than you. For example where you see someone swapping out the trans for an auto as a sign that the trans is weak. I see it as a purpose built drag car were an auto makes the most sense, so I see it as an example of how good this trans was to them that they kept it that long before finally going auto. And I plainly do not agree with the arguement that if something is not the mainstream that everyone else is doing means it must not be good.

But none the less, I understand your perspective and not going to argue it. I'd love to see more swap options out there to keep our choices open and keep a competitive market.

I am not doubting what SP had accomplished on that 350z . My question is ...if this had been happening since 2008 why is it that it is not being duplicated in many cars if indeed it is a RELIABLE and DURABLE 6 speed in extreme applications and AT PAR with the V160 ? There are thousands of people wanting a 6 speed car ... it could have been a money making business . Am I missing something here ? I get it , SP did it in one car .... where are the rest ? And to hear SP deciding to ditch it after it breaks makes me even wonder now . Wouldn't they replace it with another one since they are so cheap ? Or as I have said , wouldn't they duplicate it in other cars with their so many customers if it was a really good alternative ?

"Collins says" ....since they are selling an adapter for the CD009 transmission, I will take that with a grain of salt until I see the transmission abused in high end applications by quite a number of people. Most of the videos I see posted with Collins adapter or even by Brett Collins himself are at the 500-600 hp range. I am not saying there are none. I am just saying where are the high hp / torque applications (+1000rwhp/800ft/lbs) cars that are regularly abused in the drag strip just like the V160 ?

What baffles me is if indeed the CD009 is robust as the V160 as I heard or read , where are the MANY users in high end applications? With social media now a days , people are always eager to announce good news ! Don't you think we will see or get to know cars with this transmission going to the drag strips, half or mile runs all over the country just like you hear people with v160s going to the different drag strips to compete ? Why is it that the hard core 6 speed guys breaking the V160s on the drag strips not using them if it was a cheaper alternative ? Instead, now that the V160 and some of its internal parts discontinued, I see them going with the T56 which are more expensive ? Surely there is something they know that we don't know .

Kinda quite inquisitive about this now since I really want to try it in a car making a little above 1krwhp and 780ft/lbs of torque right now and with direct port nitrous will do a little bit more. But I don't have a lot of money to be experimenting just to find out the sad truth if ever . So I would rather play a devil's advocate just to gather more data about this CD009 .....actual users in high end applications...not one or two ... Those might just be the lucky ones as they used to say. I still have one brand new V160 I can use for such car if I wanted to but I want to give the CD009 a try if what they are saying about it that it is as robust as the V160 is true. Though am not willing to be the one to say it is not true with an unfortunate event on my end, lol.

I guess I will say again what the OP said "Calling everyone who has done it ! "
Old 01-26-16, 06:59 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

I respect your opinion. I'm not here to argue, I think I just see it a little differently than you. For example where you see someone swapping out the trans for an auto as a sign that the trans is weak. I see it as a purpose built drag car were an auto makes the most sense, so I see it as an example of how good this trans was to them that they kept it that long before finally going auto. And I plainly do not agree with the arguement that if something is not the mainstream that everyone else is doing means it must not be good.

But none the less, I understand your perspective and not going to argue it. I'd love to see more swap options out there to keep our choices open and keep a competitive market.
I never said the transmission is a weak transmission or not a good transmission. I don't know that is why I am looking for proofs of such claim that it is.

I am after an alternative manual transmission that is as robust as the V160 that would support my application that is why I came into this thread. Before I spend a chunk of money , I want to make sure it could handle the torque / power I am after or I have proof of what it is being touted. To me one car is not a solid proof that is all what I am saying. I hear people say that the CD009 is as good as the V160 but why is it in spite of it being cheap , we don't see a lot of motorshops or tuners using it ? Maybe I am just not searching well or is it many have tried it in high torque applications , failed , kept quiet about it ... and moved on ?

Last edited by gerrb; 01-26-16 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-26-16, 07:21 AM
Halon
Racer

The swap is still pretty new, it's only been around a few years. It'll be awhile (if ever) before there's lots of people out there running them and posting results. I was the first SC300 to do it that I know of, and I've only been running it 2 years so far. I'm not making gawdy Supra numbers, I'm just at my happy 560 mark.

To date, I've shared a TON of information on my experience with the swap. I posted my entire swap experience with pictures as I went through the swap, sharing exactly all the parts I used and their costs, broke it down as detailed as I could to help future people do this swap or decide if they even want to do it. I've posted up the goods and the bads from my perspective. Unfortunately I'm not now, nor will I ever, be pushing 1000hp through this setup so I won't every be able to offer information there.

Best of luck in your search, I hope there are swaps that can do what you're wanting, and maybe this is or isn't it.
Old 01-26-16, 09:01 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

It was nice of you to share your experiences about the CD009 on the forums. It surely helps a lot of people including me learn more and for that I thank you.

I am actually digging on SP related posts all over the internet in different forums. They have done it on that Nissan 350z way back in 2008 ? They are in the best position to replicate or do more swaps on their customers' cars especially Supra owners for which they have a lot , who are always looking for a monster 6 speed setup . What I don't understand is ... why none after that ? Wouldn't they publish it since it is an advertisement to attract clients to do the swap and does help the business ? Not sure if I am making sense with all these questions ...

I am really being skeptical just because I don't want to be the one experiencing the sad truth if I go for it, lol ! Got a car ready for transmission transplant but I hate to bite the bullet and hate myself later for not listening to my gut feelings. And I truly hope I am wrong . The version 2 plate adapter of Maverick Motorsports that doesn't need bell house milling plus Spec Twin disk clutch/flywheel combo (+1000rwhp / 900 ft./lbs) plus someone offering a shifter at the perfect location for $2400 in all is really very enticing at this point. The transmission , mounts and driveshaft wouldn't be that much . Even compared to an R154 setup cost , it is not bad.

Last edited by gerrb; 01-26-16 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-27-16, 05:00 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

It was nice of you to share your experiences about the CD009 on the forums. It surely helps a lot of people including me learn more and for that I thank you.

I am actually digging on SP related posts all over the internet in different forums. They have done it on that Nissan 350z way back in 2008 ? They are in the best position to replicate or do more swaps on their customers' cars especially Supra owners for which they have a lot , who are always looking for a monster 6 speed setup . What I don't understand is ... why none after that ? Wouldn't they publish it since it is an advertisement to attract clients to do the swap and does help the business ? Not sure if I am making sense with all these questions ...

I am really being skeptical just because I don't want to be the one experiencing the sad truth if I go for it, lol ! Got a car ready for transmission transplant but I hate to bite the bullet and hate myself later for not listening to my gut feelings. And I truly hope I am wrong . The version 2 plate adapter of Maverick Motorsports that doesn't need bell house milling plus Spec Twin disk clutch/flywheel combo (+1000rwhp / 900 ft./lbs) plus someone offering a shifter at the perfect location for $2400 in all is really very enticing at this point. The transmission , mounts and driveshaft wouldn't be that much . Even compared to an R154 setup cost , it is not bad.
I have been in talks with George at Maverick. At this point, he only offers the adapter plate and flywheel. He doesn't have a clutch kit, or the rest of the kit required for a complete solution.

Collins has everything required, including clutch kit rated for 850 ft lbs, driveshaft, trans mount, pilot busing, driveshaft yolk adapter. All for $2750, according to current pricing options on the website.

Also, I will be shouting to Vinny from Vinny Ten Racing. He builds high HP 350Z's, and Supra's as well.. I will see what his thoughts and experiences are with the CD009. If anyone knows, it will be someone like him, or these guys at SP, who are actually building cars around this trans
Old 01-27-16, 05:45 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

That will be nice if you can have a conversation with Vinny Tien about their 350z transmissions. He would be a good source of info. Am confirming myself a lot of info I have gathered with regards the SP 350z making +1200rwhp on the stock nissan transmission. So far all I can say based on info I have gathered is when we read or hear "SP 350z making +1200rwhp" .. it doesn't say the whole story like ....do you know how many transmissions they went through to get that power ? why you think they ditch it if it was so good a transmission ? why are they not pushing it to so many 6 speed supra enthusiasts when they have tons of supra clients and they have done this 7 years ago ? The questions makes sense to me so am currently confirming info from people I know (whom I can trust) and had conversations with people at SP about that project some time back.

Maverick might not be selling the twin disk .. but google this " SPEC Twin Plate Clutch Kit- JZ/Z33 CD009 Conversion " , you will find one .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-27-16 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-27-16, 06:21 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

That will be nice if you can have a conversation with Vinny Tien about their 350z transmissions. He would be a good source of info. Am confirming myself a lot of info I have gathered with regards the SP 350z making +1200rwhp on the stock nissan transmission. So far all I can say based on info I have gathered is when we read or hear "SP 350z making +1200rwhp" .. it doesn't say the whole story like ....do you know how many transmissions they went through to get that power ? why you think they ditch it if it was so good a transmission ? why are they not pushing it to so many 6 speed supra enthusiasts when they have tons of supra clients and they have done this 7 years ago ? The questions makes sense to me so am currently confirming info from people I know (whom I can trust) and had conversations with people at SP about that project some time back.

Maverick might not be selling the twin disk .. but google this " SPEC Twin Plate Clutch Kit- JZ/Z33 CD009 Conversion " , you will find one .
Nice, looks like that clutch kit was made to work specifically with the Maverick adapter plate, and has OEM-like feel and engagement (so it says...). This clutch kit is $1575. Then there is an adder of $450 if you want to include Maverick adapter plate, which amounts to $2025. But it doesn't say that it also includes the Maverick flywheel. On Maverick's site, the adapter plate alone is $450, but when you add in the flywheel and hardware, it amounts to $995. So, I am guessing that from the clutch provider site, you will also have to add in the flywheel and hardware cost to that $2025 figure, which will amount to around $2600, which is very near the cost of a complete Collins solution which includes the mount, driveshaft, and yolk adapter. Plus, you get the convenience of having everything from one place, as opposed to piecing things together. I am starting to realize that I am starting to sound partial to Collins lol. I think I might just end up getting a Collins kit if SF vendor doesn't come up with a complete and tested solution soon. I am just a bit worried about where the SF vendor pricing is going to end up, because they weren't exactly competitively priced on some things that I have searched for in the past..

And it will be nice to see what we can all collectively gather on the robustness of the CD009!
Old 01-27-16, 06:31 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

that is the beauty of twin / triple / quad disks that where specifically made or spec'ed for and engine / trans setup ... you don't need another flywheel cause it is part of the Clutch Combo... which is what makes that of Collins solution different..on their twin disk you need the stock flex plate for your starter and another adapter to use a twin disk. That is exactly what Ali and I was saying ... too many parts pieced together that can fall apart in high RPMs just to use a twin disk .

Quick Reply: CD009 Swap With JZ - Calling All Members Who Have Done It!!