Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Please help with hesitation problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-04, 06:01 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phoenix88,

Did you try cleaning the throttle body?
Old 06-18-04, 12:20 PM
240_Keyy
Pole Position

a dirty throttlebody typically won't cause this problem, usually that just causes a sticky gas pedal.

To those of you with a hesitation: Have any of you tried replacing the fuel filter? My SC3 was hesitating BADLY at about 1500rpm and again at about 3000rpm and I never could figure out what the deal was. Then we went to Colorado over spring break and the high altitude made it get so bad that the car could barely even make it up some of the roads there. When I got back to Texas it was a little better, but it still was bogging down at those 2 places. I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it, but that didn't help at all.

Finally my wife asked me if I had replaced the fuel filter. I hadn't so I went down to Oreillies and got a Wix filter (very good quality) and put it in....

it was like a night and day difference!!!! the car gained power all across the RPM range and I got an extra 3mpg in the city (went from 18 to 21) and 2 on the highway (from 26 to 28) Then I took it drifting and burned up a set of tires (and the clutch )

Try the fuel filter, I bet you that is what it is...
Old 06-21-04, 07:17 PM
mserrano
Driver School Candidate

Default 95 SC400 Hesitation Problem

Well Fellas, I picked up my car on Friday from the dealership and guess what, they couldn't solve the problem; couldn't even duplicate it according to them. So I'm either a very picky old fart when it comes to my car's performance or I'm imagining this whole hesitation thing. Anyway, I'm going to try putting some fuel injection cleaner in the tank and see what happens. Figure that's a cheap thing to do, and just maybe it'll help, can't hurt. Thanks for all the input and suggestions, sorry can't offer any of you with the same problem a solution.

Now I'm off on a new project and would appreciate any input. My new project is beefing up the tires on my SC. I've always thought the SC was kind of butt heavy looking, and figured that putting a bigger set of tires on the rear would help the look; like on a 944 porsche. My car is currently equiped with 225/55/16 Michelins. I like the height of the car so I don't want to go with 235's, because 50's would lower the car and 55's would raise it a bit. So, I was thinking of going with 245/50/16's. I friend of mine that's heavy into cars said they would fit. What do you all think of that size and just putting them on the rear? Any thoughts, criticisms or suggestions? By the way, the rims are the factory chrome 7X16's with the gold L in the middle.

Thanks as always,
mserrano