Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Complete lose of power steering investigation

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 03:42 PM
Msaucier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete lose of power steering investigation

Hello fellow members, I've been around for awhile but haven't really posted here much, mostly used for How-too's and advice but today, things are a little different.

Back Story...
1992 SC400 with 220,xxx on the clock. As i was driving home the other night I notice im losing power steering at the time I wasn't all that concerned knowing I was about a 1/4 of a mile from my house and I figured it was a lose of power steering fluid. ( I made it home)

The problem.......
I had the opportunity today to try and diagnose My power steering issue. I popped the hood and everything looked fine from the reservoir to the pump and the pump was dry of fluid didn't appear to have anything wrong with it. So i filled the power steering reservoir started the car and took a look. I saw burbling in the PS reservoir along with foam which lead me to believe there was air entering the system some where.
I then jacked up the front of the car and started turning the wheel full lock in each direction while looking under the car. (I'm a little guy so i bend that way LoL)
What I saw was something I had never seen before, I have PS fluid draining out of the steering rack or Rack and pinion which ever you prefer, I was pouring out from each side depending on which way I would turn the wheel.
These are the boots that cover the tie rod coming out of the steering rack.

initial inspection of pass side

Dr side dripping oil when i slide the boot

Pass side dripping with oil when I move the boot

My Conclusion
I'm willing to bet I need a new steering rack and if there are some seals or something inside I'm willing to bet that a new steering rack will fix that issue as well. Tomorrow I will be removing the steering rack to take it to Lexus for a cor-charge.

*Note I called Lexus and a new rack is $500 with a $200 Cor-charge so prepare the wallet*

I'll be taking pictures tomorrow when removing the steering rack as best as I can as I will be on a gravel driveway but I am thinking of doing a write up for the removal and installation of that as well. I will include part numbers with everything I get from Lexus. Stay Tuned.
Old 02-05-16, 08:45 PM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking forward to the write up!! My power steering is also seeming to go out on me (92 sc400 with 215k) haha guess it's just one of those things...
Old 02-06-16, 11:07 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh man that's a great deal, my dealership quoted me just over $600 with only a $150 core. Remember to mark the tie rods EXACTLY where you remove them or you'll have to get an alignment. May just be a good idea anyway though.
Old 02-06-16, 04:47 PM
Msaucier
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deegee
Looking forward to the write up!! My power steering is also seeming to go out on me (92 sc400 with 215k) haha guess it's just one of those things...
That's what I'm thinking

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Oh man that's a great deal, my dealership quoted me just over $600 with only a $150 core. Remember to mark the tie rods EXACTLY where you remove them or you'll have to get an alignment. May just be a good idea anyway though.
I'm going to be a little OCD about this even though I will be getting an alignment after but I'm going measure the tie rod ends before I remove them on each side so I can get as close as possible, I'm also going to count the amount of time's the tie rod spins coming off so I can get it as close as I possibly can.