Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with a/c unit intermitent blinking lite

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16 | 07:41 PM
rcftx68
Driver School Candidate

Default A/C problem with blinking light

Hi...

If upon testing you found out your alternator is the problem.....I would certainly have a new alternator installed. The diodes in the rectifier may be the root of the problem which drains the battery and may affect the voltage regulator within the alternator creating either too much voltage or not enough which may be the cause of your A/C light going on and off. So the first thing to do Is either pull the alternator and have it completely checked out...then eiither rebuild it or buy another one. Once that problem is solved obviously see if the was the cause of the A/C light. If not then I would look for the parasitic draw...but firtst things first. GOOD LUCK

rcftx68
Old 03-20-16 | 09:21 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by johnmikeyo
O.L.T. Can you tell me a little more in depth how to track down a parasitic drain with a DMM? Or anyone that is familiar with this process. Would I test with the car running? Also where would I attach the leads when checking the fuses. IT would be a big help if I could test the electrical system and understand how it works. Thank you.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;...ting&fr2=12642

I put parasitic drain in search. There are several methods so rather than say mine you can pick the one that works best for you.
Old 03-22-16 | 05:31 PM
johnmikeyo
Driver School Candidate

I went under the car yesterday to look at the ground wire connections. I undid the ground connections to the engine block and transmission casing, cleaned them and put them back. Also tried to disconnect the wires to the alternator and clean them, but after aprx. 1hour of trying to disconnect the connector that needs to be pinched to disconnect I finally put the plastic cover back on. I then checked voltage under load and it appears that it"s increased. A/c lite still blinks after aprx. 10 minutes of driving, so it may indeed be the a/c compressor. Any input or suggestions? Hopefully I won't have to replace both the alternator and a/c compressor.
Old 03-24-16 | 08:40 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Are you using the correct climate control unit for you car? They are differences in the later 96+ units from the earlier one though they will still work to some degree. When I was having the blinking issue with mine I swapped a 99 unit in everything worked except I could not adjust the fan speed. Swapped back in the 96 unit and changed the alternator fixed my blinking issue.
Old 03-24-16 | 03:08 PM
johnmikeyo
Driver School Candidate

BIGEZ. I believe it's the original a/c control unit. I don't think any of the a/c equipment has ever been tampered with. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Georgia are you in? I'm in Savannah. I have only seen 1 other 1st gen. sc in the area in the last year. They are very sparce in this area.
Old 03-24-16 | 03:44 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

I am in Gwinnett Lawrenceville area. Quite a few SC guys in my area.
I hope you get that issue figured out.