Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oily Steering Rack boots

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 12:20 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

When I read your previous message I thought you were asking why to use ATF instead of regular PS fluid.

The brand of ATF shouldn't matter for ps as long as it is a dexron-type fluid.

I use oem ATF because the price difference is negligible to me. I pay $4.69 a quart for oem T-IV.
Old 03-02-16, 03:55 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I use oem ATF because the price difference is negligible to me. I pay $4.69 a quart for oem T-IV.
Do you have a dealer hook-up or something? The cheapest I found was $5.75/qt when buying a whole case, and closer to $10 per individually.
Old 03-02-16, 04:56 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
Do you have a dealer hook-up or something? The cheapest I found was $5.75/qt when buying a whole case, and closer to $10 per individually.
I've been going to the same dealership to order parts for almost 10 years now, so the people that work there hook me up when they can.

I think you should be able to find a quart for closer to $5 online if you're willing to buy a case of 12. $10 per bottle is just ridiculous. The list price for 1 qt is only $5.61.
Old 03-02-16, 06:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I think you should be able to find a quart for closer to $5 online if you're willing to buy a case of 12. $10 per bottle is just ridiculous. The list price for 1 qt is only $5.61.
List price is a very fluid concept... There's no Lexus dealer around here, and everything I've checked on with the Toyota dealer is significantly more expensive than online list prices. $69 for a case of 12 qts was the cheapest I found online.
Old 03-03-16, 09:51 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
List price is a very fluid concept... There's no Lexus dealer around here, and everything I've checked on with the Toyota dealer is significantly more expensive than online list prices. $69 for a case of 12 qts was the cheapest I found online.
That makes a lot more sense why your local prices are so high. There are 5 Lexus dealers and at least 8 Toyota dealers within a 30 minute drive from my place.

Go to www.myLparts.com and look up part number 00279-000T4. They charge 12 bucks for shipping, and you should be able to use the club lexus discount to get 10% off. They're a forum vendor, so you'll have to look up the code (I don't remember what it is). With the 10% off it works out to $5.09/qt. If you need other parts, then they offer free shipping over $150 which brings down the price per qt even more.
Old 03-03-16, 10:12 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I use Toyota T-IV because my transmission requires it. It's convenient that I don't have to keep a separate bottle just for the P/S. Besides, it's not like you need gallons of ATF. A single quart should be enough to top off. If you need more than that, then you have a bigger issue to address than the $1-2 difference.
Old 03-03-16, 12:20 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

That makes a lot more sense why your local prices are so high. There are 5 Lexus dealers and at least 8 Toyota dealers within a 30 minute drive from my place.
Competition is good for the consumer, for sure. Ironically, that sort of replicates the internet locally. People tend to skim over that when stressing, "support local businesses."

Go to www.myLparts.com and look up part number 00279-000T4. They charge 12 bucks for shipping, and you should be able to use the club lexus discount to get 10% off. They're a forum vendor, so you'll have to look up the code (I don't remember what it is). With the 10% off it works out to $5.09/qt. If you need other parts, then they offer free shipping over $150 which brings down the price per qt even more.
I've bought from them previously and will definitely do so again. I had ordered my case of Toyota ATF before learning of them, but I'll keep that in mind for when it's time to restock.

Originally Posted by GSteg
I use Toyota T-IV because my transmission requires it. It's convenient that I don't have to keep a separate bottle just for the P/S. Besides, it's not like you need gallons of ATF. A single quart should be enough to top off. If you need more than that, then you have a bigger issue to address than the $1-2 difference.
Is it okay to mix the Toyota stuff with regular stuff? Otherwise we're talking the volume of a full fill, not just topping off. Maybe it's okay on the less stringent PS system, though.
Old 03-07-16, 03:47 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
you should be using toyota ATF not off the shelf PS Fluid anyways. .
I understand your view but when you're on a tight budget and you have leaking rubbers (only on one side of the steering rack) standard fluid is not going to stop the leaks. The product I mentioned is a rubber treatment I believe which has allowed me the luxury of not having to fill the SP reservoir every week or so. I got sick of hearing the pump noise wind.

I should add that I also did the mod on the SP that removes the vacuum hose off the engine. Doing this stopped the white smoke occasionally coming out the exhaust which was also using the oil from the SP reservoir. ( I originally thought I had an engine problem e.g. worn valve guide etc.)

I still have to address the problem but it has given me breathing space.