Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 04:32 PM
white93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold starting problem

Hey gang,

I don't know it this has a thread already or not. Couldn't seem to find one. I'm having a problem starting my 93 sc400 when it has set over night. The starter cranks the engine fine. But you have to crank the engine for a longer period of time than seems normal for it to run. The Lexus dealer installed a new fuel pressure regulator, saying there wasn't enough pressure in the morning. Also new battery cables. I was also told the battery was fine. The car has also had a major tune up recently. This only happens the first thing in the morning. If you let the car idle for even two minutes turn it off and start it again, it fires right up. Still having this problem after handing the Lexus dealer a sizable check. Is this normal for this car? You help much appreciated!!

Last edited by white93; 04-23-03 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-24-03, 04:03 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

white93,
sounds like your cold start injector. major pain to get to. You would have to pull your intake plenum off to reach it. Don't run the starter too long in the morning, wearing out the starter is an even bigger pain plenun AND intake manifold needs to come off. Instead crank the engine 1-2 seconds, wait crank again. The first time is to prime the cylinders with fuel and the second time should start right up.

regards

Nick T
Old 04-24-03, 05:32 PM
white93
Rookie

Thanks Nick,

I'll start the car in the morning as per your recommendation. Sounds like a great idea. Don't want to wear out the starter. I can't believe that it wasn't the first thing the Lexus Mechanics checked. I feel like I got ripped off by them installing a fuel pressure regulator.. I'll check the threads for more information on the cold start injector. I wonder how expensive it is since it's hard to get to. Knowing Lexus, big bucks i'm sure! Just curious, is the starter really located somewhere under the intake manifold? Anyhow, thanks again for your reply!!!!!

Lee:
Old 04-25-03, 09:15 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

white93,
Maybe the mechanics in cali don't encounter this problem often. Most times, if a repair does not correct your problem you can demand the dealer to refund your money. At the least they would refund the labor charges and you pay for the parts. This is pursuant to how the repair order was worded. If it said something like " Check and repair cold start problem " you are OK. If it said " Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator" you're up ***** creek. I am not sure how expensive the cold start injector is. Personally I would just send it to one of the places that cleans injectors ( $10-20 service as compared to $100-130 wholesale price of new unit ) as most times it's b/c the injector is clogged not leaking. You would smell gasoline in the engine bay if any of your injectors wear leaking. The major cost is going to be the labor, Not a lexus tech so I'm not sure how many hours but probably at least 4-6 hours @$70/hr so you are looking at $500 parts and labor for a clogged injector.

The starter is located under the intake manifold and is the WORST design for a wear item I have ever seen.

Regards
Old 04-25-03, 10:32 AM
white93
Rookie

Thanks again Nick,

I did tell the service tech that it only happened when cold in the morning. Maybe it didn't dawn on them that that's why they were keeping it over night. So they could start it cold in the morning. DUH! I wonder if I should talk to my "service adisor" or go straight to the service manager. In a unrelated issue, I had them put in new bulbs in the headlights and now one side is filled with moisture. Next time, maybe I should try another Lexus dealer. See what it means to be a Elite Service Department. (I think that's what they call it)

Yea, I found out about the starter location in some threads. Man, what were they somkeing when they designed the starter placement!!!!!

Have a great weekend!
Lee
Old 04-29-03, 07:34 PM
lexsoarer400
Rookie

white93, where is so cal are you? what dealership are you going to? i know the one i always went to over charges and always seems to be more problems after we take a car there
Old 04-29-03, 08:50 PM
white93
Rookie

Default cold starting problem

Hey Lexsoarer400

I'm in N. Cal. Bay Area. Went by on Monday and told my service advisor the problem. I'm curious to see what they'll propose at my appointment tommorrow.