Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 SC300 Check Engine Light Throwing Code 55 - Knock Sensors Tutorials? Write Ups?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 09:58 AM
beenlookin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaidoy
I believe I had a similar problem on my sc300. After getting my ECU rebuilt, I was getting CEL code 55. So I replaced the no. 2 rear knock sensor (oem part #8961522040), spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and injectors and was still getting code 55. After putting a lot of time and money into the sc, I finally got the ECU replaced and I am no longer getting a CEL.
Very Interesting.

Do you surmise the rebuild of the ECU wasn't conducted properly (or hadn't pinpointed the issue)? I had thought that myself but didnt want to purchase an ECU after spending money to rebuild mine. Where did you get the new ECU?

If anyone experiences this in the future, it may be better to purchase an ECU vs having it rebuilt like I did.
Old 11-13-17, 07:34 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by beenlookin
Very Interesting.

Do you surmise the rebuild of the ECU wasn't conducted properly (or hadn't pinpointed the issue)? I had thought that myself but didnt want to purchase an ECU after spending money to rebuild mine. Where did you get the new ECU?

If anyone experiences this in the future, it may be better to purchase an ECU vs having it rebuilt like I did.
Where did you have it rebuilt? The company that you see on here, Tanin Auto, has a car they test theirs in so they should flush out a problem like this if they rebuild the ecu. So, would be interesting if you used them.
Old 11-20-17, 10:23 AM
beenlookin
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Where did you have it rebuilt? The company that you see on here, Tanin Auto, has a car they test theirs in so they should flush out a problem like this if they rebuild the ecu. So, would be interesting if you used them.
It was Tanin - and that was my understanding as well.

My memory is fuzzy at this point with the whole ordeal, but I recall not receiving the level of communication I had thought I would. They did not test, or if they did, did not tell me the results - though they did say they couldn't guarantee it would fix my CEL before I sent it out (which is understandable). I believe; RX, that I have a thread on here about it and Tanin responded upset about it. That said, I'm sure they did the physical work but in retrospect, I'd have much rather took my time looking for a different unit from a junk yard or else-wear than doing the rebuild that seemingly did nothing for my issue.
Old 11-20-17, 05:11 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

My memory is fuzzy at this point with the whole ordeal, but I recall not receiving the level of communication I had thought I would. They did not test, or if they did, did not tell me the results - though they did say they couldn't guarantee it would fix my CEL before I sent it out (which is understandable). I believe; RX, that I have a thread on here about it and Tanin responded upset about it. That said, I'm sure they did the physical work but in retrospect, I'd have much rather took my time looking for a different unit from a junk yard or else-wear than doing the rebuild that seemingly did nothing for my issue.
Yeah I think I remember that thread. Only problem with junkyard ECU is it has the same poor capacitors in it most likely as what was in the original. There is a guy on facebook that rebuilds them too, I just don't remember who that is, but most people have had good luck with Tanin.
Old 11-21-17, 06:49 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

The tech did not wait until it was fully warmed up as the customer suggested. That's when the code 55 popped up. We sent the customer a free replacement ECU which seems to be working fine.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 11-27-17, 09:05 PM
beenlookin
Rookie

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
The tech did not wait until it was fully warmed up as the customer suggested. That's when the code 55 popped up. We sent the customer a free replacement ECU which seems to be working fine.
Tanin,

Are you speaking of my situation? Because your company most certainly did not send me a "free replacement ECU" and my current ECU is likely not "working fine" as stated by you. Where did you get this erroneous information from? I'm still flabbergasted at the level of miscommunication I'm receiving.
Old 11-28-17, 06:26 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Tanin,

Are you speaking of my situation? Because your company most certainly did not send me a "free replacement ECU" and my current ECU is likely not "working fine" as stated by you. Where did you get this erroneous information from? I'm still flabbergasted at the level of miscommunication I'm receiving.
Your replacement ECU was delivered 11/7 and we haven't heard anything from you since to suggest that it's not working as it should.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 11-28-17, 06:40 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Unless there is someone else with the same issue from the same city and we are confused. If it's not you then you should contact us so we can repair or replace the ECU for no cost.

Last edited by TaninAuto; 11-28-17 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-02-17, 11:08 AM
beenlookin
Rookie

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Unless there is someone else with the same issue from the same city and we are confused. If it's not you then you should contact us so we can repair or replace the ECU for no cost.
Tanin:

With all due respect, there was an entire thread about this and instead of owning up to potential concerns with your services/support, someone in your staff took it personally and attempted to defend themselves and/or the company instead of discussing the concern and rectifying any potential issues. It was due to this mentality and poor response that I let it go.

The short of it is this - Before utilizing Tanin, I called and ensured that the company would test the ECU to ensure the CEL was turned off after they did their repairs. This verification never took place. I also did NOT receive anything but my rebuilt ECU back from Tanin. I was not given any other unit or assurance that Tanin checked for the CEL light to be on before or after the services were conducted.

I had this service conducted approximately one year ago and have since poured in money in the car attempting to turn off the CEL light. Please let me know how you can assist as I need the car throughout the week.

Thank you for taking the time to respond - feel free to contact me via email/phone instead of the forum.
Old 12-04-17, 05:44 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Not sure what your contact information or name is. Please PM it so we can look up your information. Unfortunately due to turnover in the workplace these things happen and people aren't called or told things that they should be. Best we can do is sweep up the mess and fix the situation as it should have been initially.