Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car still not starting...Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 09:46 PM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car still not starting...Pictures

So I first thought it could be the fuel pump ecu. I did the 12v mod and then noticed my efi fuse kept blowing. Switched back the 12v to stock and now it doesn't blow but the car still will not start. Keep in mind when I use starting fluid it starts for a few seconds then dies. What could be the issue here ? I'm literally lost been days now of no starting ... This picture is what leaks when I just started it, wtf even is this thing as it is in Japanese writing...

Not sure if that would have anything to do with the issue of not starting...

Last edited by Volume123; 04-14-16 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-14-16, 10:10 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a Front Facing Intake Manifold?
Old 04-14-16, 10:20 PM
Volume123
Driver

It's a 1jzgte sc300
Old 04-15-16, 12:31 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Do you know for sure the ECU is good?, those 1JZGTE ECU are known to go bad. The power steering reservoir is what seem to be overflowing, bleed the air out of the system. Take a step back and check all connections. I had a similar situation where one if the pins on the ECU was bent when I connected the harness. Car would not start, I double checked all connections and saw the bent pin. Straightened it out and that fixed my problem.
Are you getting fuel flow? injectors good, connected? Double check all connections again.
Old 04-15-16, 03:54 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote is on ECU
Old 04-15-16, 04:31 AM
Volume123
Driver

Al the connections seems to be fine. I mean it was running fine before the last time I drove it so how would the connections all of a sudden be bad? Especially within the ecu if it has just been sitting untouched ? What maybe could make sense is oil going bad? Maybe the fuel filter or oil filter ? But would that actually cause it not to start at all? Maybe some water got collected somewhere it shouldn't have from sitting? Now the one thing I noticed was the fuel gauge did not increase much, although I did drain all the old gas and put in five gallons but I would assume it should raise a little more than just above the first small notch after the empty notch with five gallons right ? Possibly not detecting how much fuel is in it or would that be because it hasn't been started except for a couple seconds like 5 or 6 times from when it will start with the starting fluid. Or could it be a clogged fuel filter or something ? Also would too much oil cause it from not starting or a bad oil filter? I'm just trying to knock out the easy options before I go to replacing expensive things like the fuel pump or ecu.... How can I check if the fuel pump is even working or the injectors ?
Old 04-15-16, 04:35 AM
Volume123
Driver

Also how can I check if the ecu is bad besides just replacing it? Is there any way to do so ? And which ecu are we talking about here as the fp ecu when I did the 12v mod was popping the efi fuse so I put it back to stock and no more popping so could this mean the fp ecu is bad or the fp itself as if it is getting the full 12v power when I did the bypass thus popping the efi fuse could that mean there is a short somewhere on the fp itself as well as the fp ecu not working correctly or does that not really make a difference in diagnosing this problem?
Old 04-15-16, 04:41 AM
Volume123
Driver

Also the main engine ecu is in the foot area of the passenger side correct ? Should I pull that and see if somrthing is bent in it ? As I do realize that none of the normal check lights are on my dash like there were before although I think this may be because of resetting the ecu and it hasn't been running long enough or basically at all besides those few seconds in order to even show lights to come on right? Or would they still and should come on anyways ? Things like the abs light and check engine light are not on like they used to be ...
Old 04-15-16, 07:52 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

taking into consideration every thing you have said so far .... ASSUMING you did the 12v mod correctly and you did pop the efi fuse for that pump ... "then....looks like you have a grounded pump" which I doubt ...USUALLY the coil in a pump becomes open not shorted so it should not pop a fuse . THOUGH, who knows, the coil might be shorted to the body of the pump that is why it popped a fuse.

I don't mean to offend you but reading your posts here and the threads that you bumped, I don't think you are in a position to work with electrical circuits since I am assuming you cannot read electrical diagrams. Especially now that you are working with fuel and electricity , I would strongly suggest to bring it to someone who really knows what they are doing. Even if we tell you what to do and you make a mistake , it can cause a real problem. FUEL and ELECTRICITY is not something to play or experiment with if you are not sure of what you are doing . A spark near that fuel can be catastrophic.

I would like to tell you to check the pump first by applying power directly to it from a battery but am afraid of the consequences if you make a mistake. After ruling the pump to be good , do the 12v mod and if the car runs then you know you have a bad FP ECU . If it doesn't , then you have another problem. It can be your main ECU, assuming that your relay, fuse and all electrical wiring and connections are good.

Last edited by gerrb; 04-15-16 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-15-16, 10:32 AM
Volume123
Driver

It's ok it doesn't offend me as of course you don't know me and know what level I have of experience in electricity which isn't extremely high by any means although I have always done everything myself so I do have enough experience to do a simple wire to wire solder which was done correctly. So ASSUMING I did it correctly , the only option then poses that my fuel is grounded I guess if I understand you correctly. Ill take a look at it in a little. The strange part I also noticed when I was doing the mod though which could maybe shed some light on my situation possibly is that it looks as though the mod was done in the past and then reversed for whatever reason as on both of the wires (red/black and green) their is about 4 inches of extension wire on each reconnecting the wires back to the cluster plug which goes into the fp ecu which leads me to believe someone has already reversed it in the past and may have also messed up installing the fuel pump itself possibly. It's just weird that all of a sudden it would stop working randomly by just sitting in place not moving and working fine the last time I drove the car. So besides even testing the pump itself, if I take out the pump will it or could it be obvious where the ground wire is and if it is not grounded or possibly another wire itself is grounding out like a power wire somewhere from the pump directly of the wires coming from and going to the fp ecu ? I have never messed with the fuel pump on this car but have replaced them on my is300 and gs300 in the past correctly and a few other cars so no need to worry about myself blowing it up lol I just like to ask a lot and as many questions I can as the more information the better before I start ripping everything apart which may make me sound ignorant to the situation while rather like I said I find it better to possibly sound dumb on the Internet and fix what is wrong correctly then to possibly leave critical information or questions out and not get it done right! Thanks though for the help man and thanks for the worry
Old 04-15-16, 10:36 AM
Volume123
Driver

Also that was exactly what I was thinking that since before doing the 12v mod it wasn't popping the fuse since there was no power actually reaching the pump meaning the fp ecu wasn't working correctly as also before I did the 12v mod, I first did the diagnostic bridge, which as well popped the fuse, and the bridge is pretty difficult not to do correctly (; so I guess this pretty much means for sure the pump has to be grounding out somewhere right?
Old 04-15-16, 10:48 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

ok... take out the pump ..

it won't be obvious if it is grounded. You need an ohmeter / multimeter or continuity tester to check if it is grounded.

Or the easiest is.. connect it to a battery for like 10 seconds.. you should hear it run . That will at least determine if your pump is working . If it is .. then go to the next step .. determining if your FP ecu is good or bad.

report back to us.
Old 04-15-16, 02:50 PM
Volume123
Driver

Alright cool I'll be doing in soon here. Also I just recently saw from much further searching that many peoples fp's wiring from sitting can get corroded and melted .. Could be an issue here. I will report back and hopefully it's a fix that is possible without getting a new pump!
Old 04-16-16, 03:06 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

IF YOUR DIAGNOSTIC PORT at the engine bay IS STILL INTACT meaning properly wired , the other thing you can do to bypass the FP ECU is jump the FP and B+ together. Your Fuel pump should turn on. That will give you an idea if your fuel pump is working without taking it out. If it does and the car starts with those two connected and doesn't if they are not ... then you know your FP ECU is bad.