Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A340E box from Supra in facelift Soarer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 05:09 AM
Kuro88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A340E box from Supra in facelift Soarer?

Hello everyone!

I've read that the A340E from a Supra TT is, despite the same name as the Soarer/SC ones, stronger because of an extra clutch pack or something like that. Now i know or knew that the Supra box is electronically controlled, so it would not be possible to put it in the Soarer/SC because they have a kickdown cable and are not electronically controlled.

Is that correct?

Now i have a pretty late model of a JDM Toyota Soarer with the 1JZ-VVT-i and it has an electronically controlled gearbox (no kickdown cable). Is it possible for me to change to the Supra box? Or is it still too different from the Soarer box?

I also do not know what kind of box my car has, i heard from people that it actually already may be the Supra TT one, which would kinda make sense, since the VVT-i has more tourque out of the box than the normal 1j.

Maybe someone can help me with this, as i am aiming for 550+- engine hp, and want to know if i need a clutch pack(in this case i will get rid of the stock box) or if the valve body mod will be enough. I am not planning on racing the car on the 1/4 mile or anywhere, just some highway pulls.

Best regards.
Old 04-27-16, 05:36 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

True , you cannot use a MKIV TT non vvti auto trans without modifications because one was electronically controlled and your USDM SC has a kickdown cable.

The 2jzgte VVTi Auto trans is also different from the USDM MKIV non VVTi auto trans. I believe your 1JZ-vvti auto trans (though I haven't seen one) will be similar in control as that of the 2jzgte VVTi auto trans ... thus , it wont be a plug and play if you use the Non VVTI TT auto trans due to the difference in the way vvti and non vvti ECUs control the auto trans and have different wiring / plug too.

You have better chances in using an Auto Trans from the 2jzgte VVTi without much work . In stock form the TT auto trans are reliable up to 450rwhp .. beyond that depending on configurations like more coolers , modified valve body to control line pressure , they will handle more. But that 2nd gear sprag is its weakest point.
Old 04-30-16, 07:22 AM
Kuro88
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info.

I guess i'll just gamble and try the valve body mod and hope the gearbox will hold. I'm not going to race the car very often, so i think it may work.
Old 05-06-16, 06:29 AM
Kuro88
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, i have another question. Since my gearbox is electronically controlled, and shift times are actually very short compared to the box with cable (my friend told me the shift times are about as fast as the shimmed cable one). Is it possible i don't need to shim? Also, there seems to be a valve body mod where you widen some canals by drilling the holes bigger, which ones are these? I found a thread about it on some forums, but didn't see what needs to be modified.
Old 05-06-16, 08:24 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuro88
Also, there seems to be a valve body mod where you widen some canals by drilling the holes bigger, which ones are these? I found a thread about it on some forums, but didn't see what needs to be modified.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ers-take-a-nap

Look at page 20.
Old 05-06-16, 09:05 AM
Kuro88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t2d2
Thats the thread i meant, but i dont get which ones i need to drill.. And i'm afraid of destroying my gearbox.