Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

BC cams for NA (Non VVTI)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-16, 06:29 PM
SCott300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BC cams for NA (Non VVTI)?

Have any of you dropped a set of the Brian Crower's cams in your NA motors? If so, did you notice any gains?
I am debating on dropping a set of BC 264's in with my new head while I have it apart, since they are so inexpensive.
I have a 92-5-speed, ported and polished head with stock valve train
thanx in advance
Old 05-03-16, 07:42 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

I haven't heard of anyone trying these on CL. The most recent NA build (very very excessively custom) that might be using them is LRG Soup on SupraForums. His thread is called "Blasphemous Supra" in the MKIV Naturally Aspirated section. He's spent a huge bundle on a fully tuned custom ITB NA setup with a mandrel bent custom header, E85 fuel system, etc.

There won't be much in terms of gains from just those cams alone. Maybe some improved response at the most.

Not to discourage you but if you do not have strict emissions testing where you live I would suggest going turbo. Your stock cams will do just fine for turbocharging.
Old 05-03-16, 08:32 PM
SCott300
Driver

Yea I read his post on SF, but im not trying to drop that kid of doe or get that crazy with the engine. I had to pull the head off to make a repair, so I was only considering doing the cams while the intake manifold and valve covers where off. Ive had my SC for a pretty long time and its just a car that I enjoy cruising around in on nice days, but who doesnt like a little extra power right?!
Emissions is a non issue in St. Louis for pre-96 vehicles, but I am planning on purchasing a supra next year or so, so I will save my turbo plans for that car.
Thank you again for your input, its truly appreciated
Old 05-03-16, 11:37 PM
KahnBB6

In that case, since you already have the head out of the car for rebuilding and with your eyes set on a Supra in the future, I say go for it. Couldn't hurt as long as you know the power gains will be minimal. You can probably throw on a Xerd header as well to go with it (although be aware that you would lose some low end torque with those on a near stock engine).

Wish I could offer you more help regarding cams
Old 05-04-16, 09:03 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

probably not worth it you could gain a bit on top at the cost of some down low, but since you are n/a I dunno if that is a good thing.
Old 05-04-16, 06:15 PM
KahnBB6

^^ I don't feel losing low end torque is an *ideal* thing especially with the 6800rpm redline of the factory valve train and only five forward gears but if he's already got the head out for a rebuild he can't hurt anything by trying these cams.

SCott300, it's more a case of having to go all out with an NA engine build to have any significant impact over stock. It is just the way these JZ engines were designed. They don't have much to give in NA form unless a lot of expensive custom work is done to them.

I still say go ahead if you really want to since the head is already out. Just be aware that these cams alone won't do very much.

Even *with* a tremendous amount of NA work (like LRG Soup's) into a JZ you will only get so much of a power improvement. I feel like his car (which already has a 4.272 rear diff) could possibly benefit from a CD009 6-speed swap to have more gears to go through.

The way my car is set up with the stock NA 220hp, a 4.272 rear and the very slightly more aggressive R154 gearing over the W58... I still want every bit of low end torque that I already have. To shift that higher in the rev range would mean working the engine even harder to get off the line.

Especially since you don't have to worry about emissions where you are it would still make more sense (if the object is to get some more power) to perform the most very basic of low power NA-T conversions with the most affordable parts.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-04-16 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-04-16, 07:22 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 118 Posts

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/toyota/2jzgte.shtml

I'm not sure the cams on their site are meant for NA applications. If they were, I would expect the lift and duration to be different what they have listed. Their GE cams, both street/strip and race, are identical to their GTE cams. I used to mod Hondas, and for a NA build you don't want turbo specs for lift and duration

I think the cams they sell are just for turbo GE people who've wanted GTE spec cams but didn't want to pay for custom work
Old 05-04-16, 09:21 PM
SCott300
Driver

I will probably opt out on them if they will cause me to loose some more low end power. I am putting a new header on as well (OBX), so I will already be losing some of my low end. I was actually hoping that the cams would help offset some of the low end loss that I will incur from this new header. I know my hp gains in NA form are extremely limited, but I dont really have any plans to make big power with this vehicle anyways. I actually have an r-154 sitting in my garage and the only reason i havent put in in my SC, is because Im undecided on wheather or not I am saving it for a MKIV. O-well, no harm no fowl
More detailed list of mods
-ported and polished head
-cold air intake
-HKS cam gears
-light weight pulley kit (minus the crank pulley)
-OBX Supra header
-Supra Mid pipe (no cats)
-HKS carbon Ti exhaust
-piggy back system of some sort- undecided at this time, but I am open for suggestions (leaning towards Apexi NEO
-IS300 electric fans

Thank you all for your input and help