Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What is this sound, Transmission issues, Help - SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 01:00 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
I was just thinking since the filter is cheap...(around 30 bucks on the internet) why reuse Could have dodged that if you just replaced the filter straight out.

Just a thought. If it works fine for you then great!
All good points. It is working fine at the moment.
I aborted the oil change on the weekend and I was even offered a hoist!

But damn you, it is eating at me so I have decided to go with a new filter.. and I intend to pull the old one apart because I want to see what goes on in one of those and where it can get clogged. It might help out someone else. I hope I will be able to post some pictures.

Hows this for a laugh;
I got a quote for a Ryco brand filter from Bursons a spare parts company in oz, they wanted $57 for the filter and $15 because it is a special order! I must have had stupid written on my forehead... sad it was a phone call.

Haven't found anyone that is as cheap as $30 in oz but less than Bursons, just not a known brand to me. If you know of a link then please hit me up.

The days are getting colder in the south, so picking a not cold wind sunny day is going to be tricky.
Old 06-06-16, 01:51 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Update:
Lost all gears again.
Noise returned from the Transmission.
This time I had to be towed home... so embarrassing... and behind a 1992 Nissan Nugget lol.

Still cold "down under" but luckily today had the sun out.
Dropped pan and undid filter.

Same thing as last time, as soon as I loosened the bolts, oil flows out of the filter. Its like it had an air lock (or blocked).

As I said I would do in a previous post, I HAVE pulled apart the filter to see if you really need to replace them or giving them a good clean would do.
My conclusion is a good clean will do, however, you really need to clean it properly and that could be tricky especially if you have a stuffed gear box.

I will post some photos later of the pulled apart filter.
Old 06-06-16, 08:02 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Heres what my filter looks like new and the other picture is my old filter pulled apart.

Clogged filter and particles that aren't magnetic but are like metal. Stuffed Auto? Or will it clean up after replacing the filter?

Look forward to opinions.

Last edited by lateralnw; 06-06-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-07-16, 08:01 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

you keep saying oil, but are you using automatic transmission fluid? dextron 3 right?
Old 06-07-16, 04:09 PM
lateralnw
Rookie

Originally Posted by oldManTan
you keep saying oil, but are you using automatic transmission fluid? dextron 3 right?
Thanks for the input.

I am using Toyota Automatic Type IV
Old 06-07-16, 04:21 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try and see. It dosent look good tho. Thanks for the pics. of the filter taken apart. I only scrubbed and double rinsed mine with mineral spirits. My trans. pan was clean on the bottom. How about yours?
Old 06-07-16, 06:52 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

My opinion is replace the filter. Just rule that out 100% as a possible issue. It is well worth the 30 bucks.
Old 06-07-16, 06:57 PM
lateralnw
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigwhite
You can try and see. It dosent look good tho. Thanks for the pics. of the filter taken apart. I only scrubbed and double rinsed mine with mineral spirits. My trans. pan was clean on the bottom. How about yours?
That's the sad thing the pan is clean.
e.g nothing on the magnets but when I filtered the oil through a course strainer there is particals that appear like very thin flakes, but not many.

I intend to strain the oil(fluid!) through the micro filter that came out of the gear box once I clean it to see if I missed more particles.

Thanks for joining in to the conversation.
Old 06-07-16, 07:44 PM
lateralnw
Rookie

Originally Posted by SC400slide
My opinion is replace the filter. Just rule that out 100% as a possible issue. It is well worth the 30 bucks.
On order. $43! and that's trade

hope to pick up later today.
Old 06-24-16, 04:44 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

So this Saturday is the day, 95 degrees and all, going to drop my auto. trans. pan. Will clean the pan and install new filter and Toyota 4 fluid. The first time I did it, 5 yrs. ago, I only rinsed the filter out with mineral spirits. Its been shifting into drive, super hard and holding on to first gear to long on the first take off of the day. Will pry my old filter open to see how it looks.
Old 06-27-16, 07:12 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Did drop my trans. pan and caught all fluid in a clear pan for inspection. Nothing abnormal in the bottom of pan, or in fluid, pryed the filter open and there were no flakes or chunks and the metal screen was only lightly dirty. Will still have to test drive to see if its aleiviated any of my problems.
Old 07-02-16, 04:32 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

So Ive driven the car for a week now. I would say the trans. still shifts into drive to hard, still holds out 1st gear the first thing and has a rough downshift. Still glad I cleaned the pan, new fluid and 4qts. new fluid.
Old 07-02-16, 07:58 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Saw another post concerning rear trans. mount, that also recommended checking the 2 driveshaft rubber flex joints of the driveshaft. Both of mine look like new and Im not having vibration at any speed.
Old 07-10-16, 06:49 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigwhite
So Ive driven the car for a week now. I would say the trans. still shifts into drive to hard, still holds out 1st gear the first thing and has a rough downshift. Still glad I cleaned the pan, new fluid and 4qts. new fluid.
When my box started playing up I noticed having hard changes in to Drive but since I have been playing around with the box and replacing 1/2 the oil with Toyota type 4 (never managed to work out how to get all the oil replaced) I don't feel it go in to drive, it even seems to pause for about 1 second before its engaged and you don't feel a thing. (of course my box may be slowly dying!)

So I don't know if it is because of the type 4 vs type 2 or as I said my box is slowly dying.

To make matters worse I am having trouble with acceleration (MAF/ oxygen sensors/ECU) so I haven't been able to do any really hard tests on it.

I pulled the ECU out and did find a couple of capacitors leaking - one damaged two surface mount resistors. I fixed all that but the acceleration problem is still there.

Thanks for your input on your car problems.
Hope this thread is helping you.

I will be posting a video up soon to show what I did in the way of oil filter replacement etc.
Old 11-22-17, 07:23 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Update,
gear box was stuffed. I managed to get it to work a bit longer but ended up replacing it with a wrecker recovered unit guaranteed to only have done 100,000km !!!! sure.
Had it fitted by a transmission place who pulled apart a section of my old box and found the clutches where damaged and the front pump was stuffed.

Before he started on my car he insisted that my box is known as a good strong reliable box. I guess it would have been if I had serviced it more often than once every 150,000km!
Replacement box turned my car in to a high performance car again. I couldn't believe the difference. The old box must have been slipping much worse that I had released.

Of course now that the car goes like a bullet it decided to leak oil out of the front crank seal, so time to do the timing belt!

Lexus in Australia wouldn't touch it so I'm doing myself.

Love the car but would much prefer to drive it than to be fixing it.

Quick Reply: What is this sound, Transmission issues, Help - SC400