Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20 | 08:40 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by joe diego
I’m about to pull the trigger on a driftmotion turbo kit 6262 (non BB). Would it be wise to swap out the supplied -4an oil feed line for a -3an?
IF it is a journal bearing you can put a 4an line to it. as long as the engine is healthy without much blow by, and the drain line is large and kink free, it should be fine.
If you are having issues with pushing out oil a 3an line is not a bad idea or you can use the 4an with a restrictor.

do note that restrictors for journal bearing have a large hole in them compared to restrictors for ball bearing which have a tiny hole in them.
So make sure if you do use one you have the right restrictor.

Originally Posted by brandon444
Hey, AliSc3

I have a 2001 Gs300. It’s a VVTi and I want to go FFIM but I’m trying to keep my traction and cruise control. Now I’ve been looking for sometime and I can’t seem to get the right answers. What I’d like to know is, would a GTE throttle body work and if yes, which one (VVTi or Non VVTi) which year as well (if it matters) and besides fab work do you think there’d be any special electrical work to be done?

I’d also like to change my coils as well, would you recommend going lq9?
If you are keeping the stock ecu then you need to use a vvti throttle body and you have to keep your stock coils.
you can use a gte throttle body but you will have to do custom work to the FFIM, welding on a throttle body flange that would work.

If you want to use any throttle body and any coils, then use a standalone ecu... but I don't think you can keep cruise control.
depending on the standalone though, the nicer ones like proefi etc.. have traction control features. not sure about cruise control actually.

Originally Posted by silentkill
I would use the supplied line if you're getting a kit like that. my Garrett GTX3582r recommended a -4AN line with a restricter. Lookup what precision recommends.
Does the GS300 use a cruise control box off to the side with a manual cable? i couldn't think of a way to make that work with my SC so i ditched cruise control for now.
Why change the coils? vvti wasted spark coils will make good power. LQ9/LS coils will run hot from what i hear, if you're determined to swap to cop i'd go with TT coils.
the vvti stuff doesn't have the extra box, its all done int he electronic throttle body, idle control, cruise, and traction etc.. controlled by ecu.
They would have to use a vvti throttle body and keep the stock coils to keep the ecu happy.
I have even seen a ls400 vvti throttle body used on the IS300, just chop off the old throttle flange, make a custom one for the LS and weld it on.
alot of those vvti throttle bodies that say "ETCS-I" work the same, just are different sizes and shapes.. you want the ones that have a throttle cable still attached to the side (newer ones are completely electronic and different).
The 2jz vvti and 1jz vvti ones would work better for a FFIM, the 2jz being the larger one.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-13-20 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-13-20 | 10:20 AM
brandon444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
IF it is a journal bearing you can put a 4an line to it. as long as the engine is healthy without much blow by, and the drain line is large and kink free, it should be fine.
If you are having issues with pushing out oil a 3an line is not a bad idea or you can use the 4an with a restrictor.

do note that restrictors for journal bearing have a large hole in them compared to restrictors for ball bearing which have a tiny hole in them.
So make sure if you do use one you have the right restrictor.

If you are keeping the stock ecu then you need to use a vvti throttle body and you have to keep your stock coils.
you can use a gte throttle body but you will have to do custom work to the FFIM, welding on a throttle body flange that would work.

If you want to use any throttle body and any coils, then use a standalone ecu... but I don't think you can keep cruise control.
depending on the standalone though, the nicer ones like proefi etc.. have traction control features. not sure about cruise control actually.

the vvti stuff doesn't have the extra box, its all done int he electronic throttle body, idle control, cruise, and traction etc.. controlled by ecu.
They would have to use a vvti throttle body and keep the stock coils to keep the ecu happy.
I have even seen a ls400 vvti throttle body used on the IS300, just chop off the old throttle flange, make a custom one for the LS and weld it on.
alot of those vvti throttle bodies that say "ETCS-I" work the same, just are different sizes and shapes.. you want the ones that have a throttle cable still attached to the side (newer ones are completely electronic and different).
The 2jz vvti and 1jz vvti ones would work better for a FFIM, the 2jz being the larger one.
Thanks for the info. I’m actually going to be running an AEM FIC for the time being as I can’t afford a stand-alone at the moment and I got the FIC for free from a friend.

I am actually still thinking of using the GE throttle body due to the fact that I’m having a hard time finding a mechanical GTE throttle body.

I have a set of lq9 coils at my disposal hence why I was considering doing the conversion, I also spoke to Rock from MOJO Performance and he sells the brackets separately as I’m sure you guys know. He also has a shield kit that reduces the RF interference as well.

I wasn’t aware that if I were doing both the FFIM and the lq9 coil pack conversion that I’d have to go stand alone. Thought the ECU with the help of the piggyback would have been able to handle it.

Is there any other cost effective alternative I can use with regard to coil pack conversion that maybe would sit well with the ECU/FIC combination?
Old 02-13-20 | 11:06 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I’m actually going to be running an AEM FIC for the time being as I can’t afford a stand-alone at the moment and I got the FIC for free from a friend.

I am actually still thinking of using the GE throttle body due to the fact that I’m having a hard time finding a mechanical GTE throttle body.

I have a set of lq9 coils at my disposal hence why I was considering doing the conversion, I also spoke to Rock from MOJO Performance and he sells the brackets separately as I’m sure you guys know. He also has a shield kit that reduces the RF interference as well.

I wasn’t aware that if I were doing both the FFIM and the lq9 coil pack conversion that I’d have to go stand alone. Thought the ECU with the help of the piggyback would have been able to handle it.

Is there any other cost effective alternative I can use with regard to coil pack conversion that maybe would sit well with the ECU/FIC combination?
If you're worried about cost then don't go down the changing the ignition system from what it is route, its almost certainly going to be expensive. I haven't seen any way of running different than stock coils on a piggy back as the stock ecu will be expecting feedback from the igniter, dwell times differ, etc.
Old 02-13-20 | 12:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Yeah Silent is correct, since you have a vvti setup you are pretty limited on things you can do without going standalone and a bunch of work, and if you go that route you have to worry about your auto transmission being supported (lots of people run dual ecu then).

Honestly, without re reciting everything there is about vvti I can give you some recommendations that I would follow personally. I don't give advice that I wouldn't do myself.

stick with your stock ecu and use the aem fic for fueling as a piggyback etc... lots of info on this on the IS sections as it relates to vvti etc...
No need to touch your coils, I have seen over 700whp from stock vvti coils and good plugs, grab some BKR7EIX plugs and gap them down as needed, maybe .028.
The mojo coils are a pain to setup even on a standalone, requires alot of $$ parts and rewiring, and if you aren't talking E85 and big power, you are better off spending that money elsewhere.
also the fic wont support extra coils that the ecu doesn't, and the vvti ecu only supports 3 coils.
6 individual coils for your vvti setup is standalone territory with either a manual transmission or built 4 speed auto only supported by certain standalones (not your 5 speed auto).

Point number 2, why the FFIM?? you will loose torque down low. if you are under 500hp, you will miss that torque from the stock intake manifold.
I would recommend getting that treadstone cast manifold, and you can run the turbo in an IS and still use the factory intake manifold and factory throttle body.
Once again, I have seen 700whp through the stock throttle body.

FFIM looks cool, but it is a huge headache for vvti cause you need to keep the throttle body with the stock ecu or it will go into limp mode.

I would also recommend not listening to anyone trying to sell you any parts. None of those parts are well suited for what you are describing.
In summary, install FIC, install larger injectors, strap a turbo to it, drop in good plugs mentioned above, get the fic tuned as well as it can be (wont be perfect) and then go out and beat on it for a while and report back.

Skip the coils and the FFIM IMO. if you have to have the FFIM, then cut off and weld on a custom flange so you can mount a vvti throttle body to it. otherwise that ecu will go into limp mode before you make it off the driveway.
Old 02-13-20 | 01:50 PM
brandon444
Driver School Candidate

Wow! Thanks to both of you for the insight, I’ve been doing a lot of reading trying to figure this all out in terms of finding out solid answers and you guys have been a great help!

AliSc3 Ive been back and forth a lot on your NA-T and Manifold posts and they’ve also given me slot of insight. 🙏

I think for now I’ll take the advice from both you and silentkill and stick with the stock coils for the time being.

One other thing I didn’t mention and I probably should have, is that I got the car with a blown HG and when I pulled the head I decided to just go ahead and build the engine. So it’s fully built at the moment with forged rods, coated pistons, upgraded bearings and a GTE HG. The head was skimmed (machine shop said they didn’t have to do much as it wasn’t warped badly) and the block was decked as well. So it’s built to handle much more than I’ll be throwing at it for the moment.

I know most people would have just gone GTE swap but I much preferred building it knowing everything internally is brand new and not somewhat of a mystery and it actually cost me less than doing the GTE swap because I’ve got a friend with an Indy shop and he ordered everything through his suppliers and I built the motor and did all the labor myself.

I think I’ll go the FFIM route and weld my stock throttle body on there. Would make it a lot easier to change out the plugs anyways 🤷🏽‍♂️

Again guys I’m really appreciative of the support!
Old 02-13-20 | 02:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

It will be tricky to weld on the throttle body flange at the correct angle to not hit the power steering reservoir (probably have to go remote reservoir like a GTE depending on the FFIM design).
If you do go down this route, mock it up on the motor before you do the final welding, especially if you are using the XS power style manifold that comes straight forward.
Remember the extra electronic stuff sticks off the vvti throttle body sideways. If you can get your hands on a 2jzgte vvti throttle body, that would have a better angle but they are pricey.
I actually have a 1jz vvti throttle body sitting here that I was going to use on a vvti FFIM setup, but I noticed the throttle plate is smaller than a 2jz vvti one and not sure if will use it as I picked up a v8 vvti throttle body to use with the stock intake.
Also oil changes are much harder, as its difficult to get more than one hand on the oil filter after an FFIM is in place, alot of people relocate the oil filter at the same time.

You will be in alot of money before you get a FFIM working right, and you will loose torque.... all to change plugs slightly easier?!?
You have to decide if that trade off makes sense for you. If you have access to good fabrication or can fabricate yourself, go for it.. but if you are paying someone... probably not worth it.
Also on the stock intake manifold and throttle body, once you remove all the extra coolant lines etc.. it only take 5 minutes or so to take it off, and you can get to half the plugs without removing it.

Good luck either way, if you do work out the FFIM post up some pics!
Old 02-13-20 | 03:05 PM
silentkill
Advanced

It will be tricky to weld on the throttle body flange at the correct angle to not hit the power steering reservoir (probably have to go remote reservoir like a GTE depending on the FFIM design).
If you do go down this route, mock it up on the motor before you do the final welding, especially if you are using the XS power style manifold that comes straight forward.
Remember the extra electronic stuff sticks off the vvti throttle body sideways. If you can get your hands on a 2jzgte vvti throttle body, that would have a better angle but they are pricey.
I actually have a 1jz vvti throttle body sitting here that I was going to use on a vvti FFIM setup, but I noticed the throttle plate is smaller than a 2jz vvti one and not sure if will use it as I picked up a v8 vvti throttle body to use with the stock intake.
Also oil changes are much harder, as its difficult to get more than one hand on the oil filter after an FFIM is in place, alot of people relocate the oil filter at the same time.

You will be in alot of money before you get a FFIM working right, and you will loose torque.... all to change plugs slightly easier?!?
You have to decide if that trade off makes sense for you. If you have access to good fabrication or can fabricate yourself, go for it.. but if you are paying someone... probably not worth it.
Also on the stock intake manifold and throttle body, once you remove all the extra coolant lines etc.. it only take 5 minutes or so to take it off, and you can get to half the plugs without removing it.

Good luck either way, if you do work out the FFIM post up some pics!
Yeah honestly I've had my intake on and off so many times to get it right, its just a pain in the butt when the stock one would have worked fine if not easier.. Painted it all nice the last time and scratched it to heck installing it.
I love the look though, just needs some GTE covers and maybe that vvti head i have.
Old 02-13-20 | 03:13 PM
brandon444
Driver School Candidate

I was just kidding about the spark plug stuff 😅 I honestly like the cleaner look of the FFIM. Fortunately I can get it welded up for a decent price from a friend. My plan is to do like you said and get the XS power style plenum and relocating the PS reservoir.

I have been looking for a VVTI GTE throttle body but no luck so far.

I see you’ve mentioned the V8 throttle body, you referring to the 95-00 LS400 throttle body because if I’m able to use that I can get one, there are quite a few of them laying around at the local junk yard.

Once I finalize my decision, I’ll definitely post pics!
Old 02-13-20 | 03:35 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by silentkill
Yeah honestly I've had my intake on and off so many times to get it right, its just a pain in the butt when the stock one would have worked fine if not easier.. Painted it all nice the last time and scratched it to heck installing it.
I love the look though, just needs some GTE covers and maybe that vvti head i have.
Exactly, I have done the same and after a while it gets old having to work around it. It does look great though once you get it all done and if you know what you are dong its not too bad.
Seeing these new setups with the better fitting turbo manifolds though makes me think unless you really want it and willing to learn every bit of it to make it work, its way easier to use the stock stuff and deal with the plugs.

I was just kidding about the spark plug stuff 😅 I honestly like the cleaner look of the FFIM. Fortunately I can get it welded up for a decent price from a friend. My plan is to do like you said and get the XS power style plenum and relocating the PS reservoir.

I have been looking for a VVTI GTE throttle body but no luck so far.

I see you’ve mentioned the V8 throttle body, you referring to the 95-00 LS400 throttle body because if I’m able to use that I can get one, there are quite a few of them laying around at the local junk yard.

Once I finalize my decision, I’ll definitely post pics!
As long as you know what you are in for, you will probably have to shorten the front of the XS intake also when you weld the new flange on at whatever angle will work.
I think that is close to the years for the v8 electronic throttle body, but I don't think its a great option for FFIM as it sticks out even further to the sides than the stock one.
It really only works well as a replacement for the stock manifold, since there is rooms on the side on the top of the motor.
If you notice on the GTE throttle bodies, the electronics is stuck underneath it, so it doesn't stick out on the sides.

you may be able to make the stock one or the v8 one fit at an angle, I haven't tried it before.
as far as I know no one has done that with the v8 throttle body, and only a couple times ever have I seen the stock vvti throttle body welded to a FFIM.
Honestly it looks kind of silly to have that OEM throttle body with a small throttle plate (usually 70mm or less) feeding a FFIM with a 90mm hole in it.
The v8 one is a little bigger but the design for FFIM is all wrong. If looks are what you are after, I think that throttle body wil take away from the look of the FFIM.

Just trying to help out my fellow na-t people, but no spoon feeding here. Just cause its possible does not mean its a good idea
If you had a non-vvti setup, we would be recommending slapping on pretty much every cool part there is but it doesn't work like that for vvti with the stock ecu.

If you are willing to go standalone (no emissions) and a manual transmission, then we can have a whole another discussion about fun options that are good ideas...
You wouldn't need a vvti throttle body, you could run whatever coils you want, you could have a ffim or really whatever kind of intake you can fab up. Sky is the limit on that.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-13-20 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-13-20 | 05:55 PM
brandon444
Driver School Candidate

I’m in south Florida, so emissions are definitely not and issue! 😂 I will eventually go to a stand alone setup but seeing as I have the necessary stuff to boost the car I really want to do it now to add some fun factor while I save towards the stand alone.

I am also looking at the build as a learning experience as well, I plan to keep my GS around for a long time coming.

Looks like I’ll be ordering the FFIM soon, it might take some work to get right but it will definitely be an experience. While I’m waiting for it though I will be on the look out for that GTE throttle body to make things a bit easier on myself and to have it look a lot cleaner. Really hope I find one so I don’t have to figure out a way to make the stock throttle body look somewhat decent at the front.

I do have an oil filter relocation kit I bought for the very purpose of making oil changes easier after going FFIM. It’s not too difficult to do at the moment so I’m going to get to all that when I’m doing the turbo kit.

Only thing I have to look into getting besides the throttle body is a PS reservoir relocation kit.

I am pretty bummed that my the vvti has all these finicky issues though makes me wish I swapped a non vvti head on there when I was doing my rebuild.
Old 02-14-20 | 06:29 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

If you don't have emissions you can prolly experiment with it some more, I think you have a good understanding of it now so good luck and let us know how its going along the way
Old 02-14-20 | 07:27 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

I tuned my old Cressida with a 2jzge VVTI installed and the MS3 pro that was used to tune did an excellent job handling the VVTI system. Obviously, taking it to an experienced tuner who is familiar with working with a VVTI motor will take all of the troublesome nature out of using the VVTI head.
Old 02-14-20 | 08:32 AM
silentkill
Advanced

I’m in south Florida, so emissions are definitely not and issue! 😂 I will eventually go to a stand alone setup but seeing as I have the necessary stuff to boost the car I really want to do it now to add some fun factor while I save towards the stand alone.

I am also looking at the build as a learning experience as well, I plan to keep my GS around for a long time coming.

Looks like I’ll be ordering the FFIM soon, it might take some work to get right but it will definitely be an experience. While I’m waiting for it though I will be on the look out for that GTE throttle body to make things a bit easier on myself and to have it look a lot cleaner. Really hope I find one so I don’t have to figure out a way to make the stock throttle body look somewhat decent at the front.

I do have an oil filter relocation kit I bought for the very purpose of making oil changes easier after going FFIM. It’s not too difficult to do at the moment so I’m going to get to all that when I’m doing the turbo kit.

Only thing I have to look into getting besides the throttle body is a PS reservoir relocation kit.

I am pretty bummed that my the vvti has all these finicky issues though makes me wish I swapped a non vvti head on there when I was doing my rebuild.
I really like the PHR PS relocation kit but its not cheap haha. I paired with a derale cooler from amazon and deleted the spider web cooler thing in the front bumper. I also have the PHR high pressure PS line which is a LIFE saver, the IC piping ran into the stock line pretty bad on mine.
Old 02-14-20 | 08:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Oh man that reminds me of my first intercooler install (feeling old), I actually snaked the IC piping through that PS cooler spider hose mess lol, bending it where needed etc... Didn't know to just rip it out and move on at the time So much time wasted under that bumper but it worked.
Old 02-14-20 | 09:05 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Oh man that reminds me of my first intercooler install (feeling old), I actually snaked the IC piping through that PS cooler spider hose mess lol, bending it where needed etc... Didn't know to just rip it out and move on at the time So much time wasted under that bumper but it worked.
oh i definitely tried to fit it with all the stock stuff haha. I wish someone had a better solution for the AC line right there, i ended up modifying the stock bracket to pull it up an inch or so and also added a bunch of foam to the IC pipe because i am determined to keep my AC functional.

Quick Reply: NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru