Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 11:33 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Good point, you can generally get around that one but a nice bracket wouldn't be a bad idea. Will have to remember that one next time around.
I have kind of been having an itch to single turbo a sc400 with a manual swap even though I am still putting together a vvti ge na-t on the stand right now.
I think I have a project planning problem
Old 02-14-20, 11:36 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Good point, you can generally get around that one but a nice bracket wouldn't be a bad idea. Will have to remember that one next time around.
I have kind of been having an itch to single turbo a sc400 with a manual swap even though I am still putting together a vvti ge na-t on the stand right now.
I think I have a project planning problem
Do it! then you can make a UZ NA-T Guru post lmao

I've also picked up a VVTI engine just so i can snag the head for my refreshed shortblock, that'll be my spare backup or throw it in when i want everything pretty engine.

I'm itching to buy a t56 magnum soon with a twin disk for the SC just to fool proof the car for future fun. These builds just snowball into way more than you bargain for haha
Old 02-14-20, 11:51 AM
brandon444
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have a lot better understand of what I need to do now thanks to you guys!

Rudy, my issue is that I’m using a piggyback for the time being, but hopefully my tuner will be able to help me get her to run smooth enough to have some fun.

silent, I’ve been eyeing the PHR kit and yea it’s a bit pricey, I see that they do have an economy version which I might buy, the chase bays kit is also an option or I may just get the pump fitting from one of those companies and do custom lines and a bottle, still researching.

Noted on the PS lines though! Definitely going to get rid of all that to avoid more headaches 😅, even tho like silent, I was trying to keep things a bit on the stock side.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (02-17-20)
Old 02-14-20, 12:52 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by brandon444
I do have a lot better understand of what I need to do now thanks to you guys!

Rudy, my issue is that I’m using a piggyback for the time being, but hopefully my tuner will be able to help me get her to run smooth enough to have some fun.

silent, I’ve been eyeing the PHR kit and yea it’s a bit pricey, I see that they do have an economy version which I might buy, the chase bays kit is also an option or I may just get the pump fitting from one of those companies and do custom lines and a bottle, still researching.

Noted on the PS lines though! Definitely going to get rid of all that to avoid more headaches 😅, even tho like silent, I was trying to keep things a bit on the stock side.
I made a nice little overview video of my PS setup when i did it if you're curious about how those PHR parts fit. It can be done much cheaper if you use some of the GTE stuff, make your own lines, etc but i'm lazy and like kits.
The following users liked this post:
joe diego (02-15-20)
Old 02-14-20, 03:44 PM
brandon444
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly don’t mind doing the work and making the lines and what not, if I can’t find a decent looking metal reservoir I might just do a custom setup. That PHR kit looks nice though! Very clean.
Old 02-22-20, 07:07 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Need some pointers on how to install a ffim with welded on lower runners. I thought about removing the brake booster but that seems very challenging. I was thinking about removing the power steering pump and upper radiator hoes to get it in there.

Ffim with welded lower runner
Old 02-24-20, 06:09 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by joe diego
Need some pointers on how to install a ffim with welded on lower runners. I thought about removing the brake booster but that seems very challenging. I was thinking about removing the power steering pump and upper radiator hoes to get it in there.

Ffim with welded lower runner
Smash in the brake booster, i had like everything unbolted near it so i could fish it in, it's not a great experience lol

I left the rad hose on.
Old 02-24-20, 11:08 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silentkill
Do it! then you can make a UZ NA-T Guru post lmao

I've also picked up a VVTI engine just so i can snag the head for my refreshed shortblock, that'll be my spare backup or throw it in when i want everything pretty engine.

I'm itching to buy a t56 magnum soon with a twin disk for the SC just to fool proof the car for future fun. These builds just snowball into way more than you bargain for haha
We will see first clean 92-95 SC to come up for sale that I like 300 or 400.
Not a bad idea to have a spare around to work on and plan stuff, I figure I will use mine at some point if not in the tacoma, we shall see.

I think the T56 is superb if you can afford that setup, the engagement and shifting feels really nice, and the double overdrive is a nice feature (vs a v160 or cd009) that can let you run a more aggressive rear gear.
They are easy to find and get new parts for them is also huge after the initial investment its not too bad to maintain vs a v160 etc..

The only negative I would mention about the T56 that I have noticed in my vette, is that it tends to get noisy/rattle at very low idle rpm's where my engine gets lopey.
I have read this is due to the design of the gears and it is the lash essentially not being constantly loaded enough, which happens on a low rpm cammed engine (lopey idle).
I noticed if I bump the rpm's up on the carb a hair more the noise goes away, or if I clutch in the noise goes away.
It was very startling the first time I heard it cause I had been driving the car for a while and never heard it before until I messed with the base idle that day.

I don't think a 2jz will have a lopey idle like the old cammed sbc, and would probably be ok running a little higher idle anyways, but just be aware that can be an issue with these.
It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it is an odd noise to have happening about a foot away from your right foot, which happens to be my favorite foot also

Old 02-24-20, 11:22 AM
silentkill
Advanced

We will see first clean 92-95 SC to come up for sale that I like 300 or 400.
Not a bad idea to have a spare around to work on and plan stuff, I figure I will use mine at some point if not in the tacoma, we shall see.

I think the T56 is superb if you can afford that setup, the engagement and shifting feels really nice, and the double overdrive is a nice feature (vs a v160 or cd009) that can let you run a more aggressive rear gear.
They are easy to find and get new parts for them is also huge after the initial investment its not too bad to maintain vs a v160 etc..

The only negative I would mention about the T56 that I have noticed in my vette, is that it tends to get noisy/rattle at very low idle rpm's where my engine gets lopey.
I have read this is due to the design of the gears and it is the lash essentially not being constantly loaded enough, which happens on a low rpm cammed engine (lopey idle).
I noticed if I bump the rpm's up on the carb a hair more the noise goes away, or if I clutch in the noise goes away.
It was very startling the first time I heard it cause I had been driving the car for a while and never heard it before until I messed with the base idle that day.

I don't think a 2jz will have a lopey idle like the old cammed sbc, and would probably be ok running a little higher idle anyways, but just be aware that can be an issue with these.
It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it is an odd noise to have happening about a foot away from your right foot, which happens to be my favorite foot also
Haha i know exactly what you are referring to, i had a T56 behind my 357 SBC a few years ago and my trans was a 200k worn out pile. Grannas is having a sale for tax season so i'm getting on board with that and saving $800.

The t56 in my bird was much quieter than the w58 in my car now so i'm sure it'll be okay in the SC as i'm already used to noisy drive train haha.

Old 02-24-20, 01:01 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Smash in the brake booster, i had like everything unbolted near it so i could fish it in, it's not a great experience lol

I left the rad hose on.
I was able to get it in without “smashing” the brake booster. I removed the power steering pump and Upper water inlet pipe.
I never want to go through that again. My back is soar and my fingers are thrashed.

FFIM with harness tuck.

Old 02-24-20, 02:38 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Haha i know exactly what you are referring to, i had a T56 behind my 357 SBC a few years ago and my trans was a 200k worn out pile. Grannas is having a sale for tax season so i'm getting on board with that and saving $800.

The t56 in my bird was much quieter than the w58 in my car now so i'm sure it'll be okay in the SC as i'm already used to noisy drive train haha.
Ah so you are familiar with the beast then. I would go for it, with the power you will be making everything else is overpriced or a bandaid.
When Grannas adapted the T56 for the 2JZ initially people were skeptical but I always thought someone should have done that way sooner.

Originally Posted by joe diego
I was able to get it in without “smashing” the brake booster. I removed the power steering pump and Upper water inlet pipe.
I never want to go through that again. My back is soar and my fingers are thrashed.
FFIM with harness tuck.
Looks good, I remember the back aches for days putting mine together and I didn't even weld them which makes it harder.
Old 02-27-20, 09:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

So Brandon got me thinking about the ls400 v8 electronic throttle body on a FFIM. Since I have all those parts laying around and a spare 90mm TB flange, I drilled in the LS400 pattern to mock it up (didn't want to mess up the FFIM yet).
It actually fits pretty decent, but I think where it is now it may contact the power steering pump, I need to mount that and adjust but I have my A/C compressor in storage so will be a little bit before I can mock it up.

I think maybe shortening the FFIM length and angling the throttle body some more to follow the lower runner could work, and the v8 throttle body is much larger than the stock GE one.
Could be an option for FFIM on VVTI setups using the GE/GTE ecu with the right tweaks. Probably a 2jzgte throttle body would fit better physically and just shorten the FFIM, I am guessing they are similar in throttle size but not sure.

It's not going to win any fashion contests, but could work...
thoughts? Should I just scrap it now lol.
I will probably be using the ls400 throttle body on the stock intake manifold and Y pipe which is also mocked up and needs to be welded, but thought this might help visually for others.

Old 02-27-20, 09:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Picture of the ls400 electronic throttle body on top and the 1jzgte electronic throttle body on bottom for comparison.
The 1jzgte throttle blade is noticeably smaller even in the picture, I was planning to use the 1jz one for a FFIM before I got it and saw how small it was.
A 2jzgte vvti throttle body is still probably the best bet, but they are expensive and harder to come by.
I am starting to wonder why I have all these random parts and no running 2jz

Old 02-27-20, 10:27 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Picture of the ls400 electronic throttle body on top and the 1jzgte electronic throttle body on bottom for comparison.
The 1jzgte throttle blade is noticeably smaller even in the picture, I was planning to use the 1jz one for a FFIM before I got it and saw how small it was.
A 2jzgte vvti throttle body is still probably the best bet, but they are expensive and harder to come by.
I am starting to wonder why I have all these random parts and no running 2jz

are you hoarding JZ parts haha
Old 02-27-20, 11:13 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I wasn't trying to but yeah I can't really deny it at this point And those are just my electronic throttle bodies...
Maybe someday I will wisen up and just order up a gte swap

Quick Reply: NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru