Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-20, 03:12 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Nice, easy fix is the best fix!
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (04-03-20)
Old 04-03-20, 03:15 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Trying to find out why She’s running rich under boost. Bottoms out at 10 on the aem wideband. May be a stupid question, but would turning up the boost lean it out a little? Doesn’t seem to be that many threads about running rich at wot.
Old 04-03-20, 03:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

That is normal before you turn up the boost, the factory keeps it super rich. What boost are you running?
I do generally crank it up until it leans out to the 11's close to 12 afr. It should make more power there and pull smoother also.
You might need a bcc and I always recommend having a boost controller in the loop even if you aren't cranking it up they usually help with spool.
Old 04-03-20, 04:01 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

I have a Chinese wastegate with a 10psi spring. Haven’t installed a boost gauge yet, but I just got done installing a boost controller.

Also, which bcc do you recommend?

Last edited by joe diego; 04-03-20 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 08:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I used a knockoff wastegate for a while, as long as its working reliably (always doing the same thing) its fine.
I don't think you can get the greddy one anymore but they have new ones available online at various stores, or check on supraforums classifieds.
If you do decide to get a piggyback some of them have that feature also, even with the basic ones if you are going to 550's and use a piggy that will raise your boost cut some also cause it lowers the map signal.
Old 04-17-20, 12:41 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Need help figuring out this erratic idle.

*edit I figured it out. I guess when I swapped ECUs I forgot to check the timing. Can’t forget that step.

Doesn’t run lean after completely warmed up, but afer a couple of pulls it starts running very lean and erratic. No cel and I also put a jumper between B+ and FP in the diagnostic box, but same result. I’m thinking it could be...
1. the ecu
2. my TPS hasn’t been calibratedor
3. because I’m still using the OEM SC fuel pump.
4. Timing issue

Mods: Aristo ECU, 440cc injectors, DS62 igniter w/, coil packs, q45 throttle body with OEM tps

Last edited by joe diego; 04-18-20 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-20-20, 08:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Gotta check the timing!
The following users liked this post:
silentkill (04-20-20)
Old 04-21-20, 03:10 PM
silentkill
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 148 Posts

Hey Ali,

Can i use a GTE oil pump + my non vvti head?

I guess my question lies is if it will matter to run the GTE crank timing pulley on there, still using distributor for crank/cam if that would matter at all. Wouldn't think it would.

Ill see if my pulley fits, though im guessing it really doesn't matter if you are using the dizzy for crank/cam.

Mistakes were made and now im using my new shortblock lol

Last edited by silentkill; 04-21-20 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-22-20, 07:45 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

uh oh that doesn't sounds bueno. what new shortblock, gte or ge?

the distributor is driven off the exhaust cam gear so nothing to do with the crank sensor or oil pump etc...
even on non vvti setups, I usually install the ge vvti oil pump and throw a vvti crank gear and crank sensor on there in case I ever go vvti I can just plug it in.
you could also instead put the 12 tooth gte non vvti wheel in there as a backup crank sensor, and standalones tend to pick that one up than the distributor signal.
or you can leave whatever oil pump is on there and just use the distributor.

gte oil pump and ge oil pump are pretty interchangeable, but the gte one has more oil pressure for oil squirters and the spot for the crank sensor.
if you just want the spot for the crank sensor on a ge block use the vvti ge oil pump for proper oil pressure and the crank sensor spot.
Some people run the gte oil pump on ge blocks just fine, others keep having front main seal issues puking oil.
That is why I generally say match pump to block. if you have a gte block you should use the gte pump for sure.

the actual stock crank pulleys are the same size and fit wise between ge and gte, you should be able to bolt it right on no problem.
you can put a 12 tooth or 36-2 tooth wheel behind either for the crank sensor pickup, or leave it empty like a non vvti ge.
Ill note that some of the aftermarket dampeners are a different size than stock, and usually need a different size belt.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-22-20 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 07:56 AM
silentkill
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
uh oh that doesn't sounds bueno. what new shortblock, gte or ge?

the distributor is driven off the exhaust cam gear so nothing to do with the crank sensor or oil pump etc...
even on non vvti setups, I usually install the ge vvti oil pump and throw a vvti crank gear and crank sensor on there in case I ever go vvti I can just plug it in.
you could also instead put the 12 tooth gte non vvti wheel in there as a backup crank sensor, and standalones tend to pick that one up than the distributor signal.
or you can leave whatever oil pump is on there and just use the distributor.

gte oil pump and ge oil pump are pretty interchangeable, but the gte one has more oil pressure for oil squirters and the spot for the crank sensor.
if you just want the spot for the crank sensor on a ge block use the vvti ge oil pump for proper oil pressure and the crank sensor spot.
Some people run the gte oil pump on ge blocks just fine, others keep having front main seal issues puking oil.
That is why I generally say match pump to block. if you have a gte block you should use the gte pump for sure.

the actual stock crank pulleys are the same size and fit wise between ge and gte, you should be able to bolt it right on no problem.
you can put a 12 tooth or 36-2 tooth wheel behind either for the crank sensor pickup, or leave it empty like a non vvti ge.
Ill note that some of the aftermarket dampeners are a different size than stock, and usually need a different size belt.
It's a GE block with GTE internals. I didnt mess up the old engine bad i mangled the dowel pins and decided it was less hassle to just switch blocks as i had the trans out anyway. ( wanted an excuse to use the new block anyway lol). Grannas's t56 kit comes with a plate to measure how center the bellhousing is and i was trying to shift it another way. This stuff will be way easier out of the car. Reason i want to use this pump is because it's brand new and already on the shortblock.

the one on my old block is a vvti style as it's a 97, has a crank sensor.

Do i swap on my 100k GE pump or send it with the GTE pump that is new.

Last edited by silentkill; 04-22-20 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 11:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

It'll work but you could have rear/front main seal issues if your oil pressure is too high, there have been a few threads on this including on SF and it seemed like half the people who did it were fine and the other half were going through front main seals like oil changes. If it's already on there not sure I would disassemble it just for that, maybe run a big oil cooler if you have issues later.

Can't you just swap out the dowel pins? I would personally rock the higher compression na-t setup you have with your current block.
I didn't index my t56 before throwing it behind the sbc, I know they say to but I just slapped it in there and so far so good
You do have a lot into your setup and making alot more power, so indexing it is probably a good idea.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-22-20 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-22-20, 12:01 PM
silentkill
Advanced

It'll work but you could have rear/front main seal issues if your oil pressure is too high, there have been a few threads on this including on SF and it seemed like half the people who did it were fine and the other half were going through front main seals like oil changes. If it's already on there not sure I would disassemble it just for that, maybe run a big oil cooler if you have issues later.

Can't you just swap out the dowel pins? I would personally rock the higher compression na-t setup you have with your current block.
I didn't index my t56 before throwing it behind the sbc, I know they say to but I just slapped it in there and so far so good
You do have a lot into your setup and making alot more power, so indexing it is probably a good idea.
I have three blocks and i cant get those damn dowels out without a welder so cutting my losses for now haha. One of them on the stock block is so chewed up i cant get a vise grip on it now.
Old 04-22-20, 02:24 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

For some reason it’s allowing me to hit 19 psi without boost cut (according to the boost gauge). Is this because I may have a vacuum leak?
Once completely warm and after a few pulls I get an erratic idle. Pulls pretty good tho.
Old 04-22-20, 02:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silentkill
I have three blocks and i cant get those damn dowels out without a welder so cutting my losses for now haha. One of them on the stock block is so chewed up i cant get a vise grip on it now.
I haven't had a reason to pull those yet but seems like it shouldn't be that hard, id grind it flat at that point and use a reverse drill bit/extractor on it, once it gets hot will prolly come out.
Or just use the new block I guess really aren't that much different.

Originally Posted by joe diego
For some reason it’s allowing me to hit 19 psi without boost cut (according to the boost gauge). Is this because I may have a vacuum leak?
Once completely warm and after a few pulls I get an erratic idle. Pulls pretty good tho.
If you have 440c injectors and no afc it should boost cut by 16 psi give or take. If you have a leak before the map sensor that is possible since the map would read lower than actual boost.
What makes you think you have a vacuum leak, the idle? I would check over all that stuff you don't want to be boosting 19 psi and the ecu seeing alot less (ecu should see the max 14 psi using a boost cut controller when you are above 14 psi), chances are you are still running rich with this ecu since it overfuels but I would sort it out before doing too many big pulls like that, especially back to back when heat builds up.

boost cut also looks at the tps for some reason, so sometimes you can get above the boost cut level on part throttle, but generally it should still boost cut when you are on it. I think your tps is probably fine though since you said you set the timing.

Just to confirm though, when you put the jumper in to set the timing, you did hear the change in how it was running right? if you have the timing light on the crank you will also see the timing change when the jumper is put in. It has to do this before you set the timing to 8-10 degrees, otherwise you won't actually have the right timing. I say that cause it wont let you change the timing (make the change in sound) unless your tps is set properly... and it could also affect boost cut via the tps issue. If you do hear the change in sound and set timing to 8-10 degrees then tps is good and its something else, but if you don't hear it that could be a tps issue.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-22-20 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-22-20, 07:26 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't had a reason to pull those yet but seems like it shouldn't be that hard, id grind it flat at that point and use a reverse drill bit/extractor on it, once it gets hot will prolly come out.
Or just use the new block I guess really aren't that much different.

If you have 440c injectors and no afc it should boost cut by 16 psi give or take. If you have a leak before the map sensor that is possible since the map would read lower than actual boost.
What makes you think you have a vacuum leak, the idle? I would check over all that stuff you don't want to be boosting 19 psi and the ecu seeing alot less (ecu should see the max 14 psi using a boost cut controller when you are above 14 psi), chances are you are still running rich with this ecu since it overfuels but I would sort it out before doing too many big pulls like that, especially back to back when heat builds up.

boost cut also looks at the tps for some reason, so sometimes you can get above the boost cut level on part throttle, but generally it should still boost cut when you are on it. I think your tps is probably fine though since you said you set the timing.

Just to confirm though, when you put the jumper in to set the timing, you did hear the change in how it was running right? if you have the timing light on the crank you will also see the timing change when the jumper is put in. It has to do this before you set the timing to 8-10 degrees, otherwise you won't actually have the right timing. I say that cause it wont let you change the timing (make the change in sound) unless your tps is set properly... and it could also affect boost cut via the tps issue. If you do hear the change in sound and set timing to 8-10 degrees then tps is good and its something else, but if you don't hear it that could be a tps issue.
Yes, when I put in the jumper in I did hear a change on how it was running. I set the timing to 7.. 8ish.

After driving around and at idle I have to blip the throttle to prevent it from stalling (starts running super rich), but after a couple of blips it starts to idle okay.

I have the TPS vacuum hose right between runners 3 and 4 on the ffim. It was so challenging getting that welded ffim on, I’m thinking there may be a vacuum leak between the lower runner and engine.

Last edited by joe diego; 04-22-20 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: NA-T Questions?? Ask the Guru